What's new

*** Official MONSTER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Having seen a few photos of serial killer Aileen Wuornos, I was surprised when the goddess Charlize Theron was cast to play her.
Aileen was a beast in every sense of the word.
Ebert & Not Siskel reviewed Monster on this weeks program and had numerous clips from the movie. You simply will not recognize Charlize. She gained weight for the role and I suppose other devices were used to change her appearance.
But those eyes...they were truly frightening. Ebert couldn't say enough good things about Miss Theron in this role. He said he didn't change position or take notes he was so involved in the film.
Monster opens in New York on Dec. 24th and then elsewhere in January.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I too watched the E&R you mentioned. I was mesmerized, partly because I couldn't believe it was her, and partly because she was so good.

I can't wait to see this movie when it hits my area, hopefully early next year.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I saw the trailer in a theater several weeks before seeing the Ebert and Roeper review, and I couldn't recognize Theron. My wife did halfway through the trailer, solely by voice inflection, and she leaned over and said, "That's Charlize Theron". I insisted, right to the end of the trailer, that she had to be wrong.

M.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt know this film was done. I had no idea it was opening soon.

Great to hear its looking good.

BTW, Christina Ricci will play Wuornos(Therons)lover in this film:)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Ebert not only said Theron's performance was easily the best of the year, but perhaps the best in the history of cinema. A bold statement.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Theron is scary in this film. Yeah, she looks good and all...but, the anger coming out of her...literally seething from her pores...is palpable. I don't know what she drew upon or where from - but, it worked. In spades.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I got that tidbit from IMDB in Charlize's Trivia section about her mother killing her father when she was 15. I don't know if she did it front of Charlize or not. I'll have to hunt around and see if that part is true.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
It might help a little to know that her dad was drunk and attacked her mother who shot and killed him in self defense. Her mother was not charged in the incident.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm not freaked that she did it...just that Theron experienced that.

I’ve only ever lusted after her from afar. But, information like that always makes someone more “human”.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
She looks pretty dead on for the real monster she is portraying... I can't wait to see this film.......

R~

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also saw E&R was taken aback a little bit from all of the praise of being immersed in this film by both of them. But, I'll try to ratchet down my expectations as much as possible and watch the films as it unfolds. Charlize's transformation is pretty amazing from the clips I've seen so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks