-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

General thoughts on Velodyne, KEF and Dynaudio?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 02:01 PM

So basically I magically landed a sales job at the local store (Gramophone, if you're local to SE Michigan), so I'm really excited, being only 21 and having such a cool job. (It beats my office jobs) Now, I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible, between reading literature and training sessions, but I know that HTF is the perfect place to get a good grasp of what people think about certain manufacturers. We carry Velodyne, KEF and Dynaudio (plus Paradigm, but I've done enough reading on them for my own purposes, so no worries there), and I was wondering what you think from previous auditions. So far, it seems like the KEFs are rather on the bright side, with that "hypertweeter" really stretching the freq range, whereas the Dynaudios seem a little more subdued and warmer. I haven't had much chance to test them out with music I know, that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Thanks for any input, in advance, I want to be the best salesperson I can be, assuming I can wipe this grin off my face. Posted Image

P.S. I was able to sit in our theater room for a bit...set of Revel Studios (I think that's the line), with matching surrounds, center and sub...now that was fun. As was fiddling with the Velodyne Digital Drive 18" sub...that sucker POUNDS.

#2 of 17 Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 02:51 PM

You're right on with the KEF XQ line, especially the XQ5's. Now, the KEF Reference line is not as bright and has a much smoother sound to it. Actually, I like the Reference line a whole lot, and wouldn't mind picking some up, but then there's that price thing coming into play. Anyway, good luck and have fun!
DJ_JonnyV

#3 of 17 ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 04:49 PM

Buy the Revels......

#4 of 17 John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 02:48 AM

I can vouch for Velodyne subs absolutely.

I was blowing subs right and left til, nearly 3 years ago now, I bought a 15" Velodyne. That was one of my all time best HT decisions to date.

#5 of 17 FrantzM

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 09:42 AM

Hi

I am Dynaudio fan. They are difficult to beat at their respective price point. They are accurate to an extent, I am not too sure the Kef or many other speakers are. This company is really producing great products across the line.

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

#6 of 17 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 02:27 PM

I work at soundtrack in colorado springs, and I love the kef's. I was all prepared to get a set of XQ5's, XQ3's and an XQ2C. But I got a killer deal on a set of Boston Acoustics VR-950's.

#7 of 17 Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 04:12 PM

We actually only seem to carry the Studio and regular Q series...they had the XQs a year ago, but it must've conflicted with something else (we won't be carrying Paradigm Signatures probably, says the manager, due to them being close to the Dyns and Kef Studios...bah)

#8 of 17 Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 03:00 PM

FYI, KEF doesn't have a Studio series, and as for not carrying anything above the Q series line if KEF is so-so. These put out some sound and will fill a room no problem, but I've found them to be a little on the harsh side (just my opinion). Really the Reference line will run with just about anything else under $10K for a pair.
DJ_JonnyV

#9 of 17 Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 03:04 PM

yeah, you're absolutely right...I own studio 40s, so I tend to replace "studio" with "reference" and vice versa...gotta stop doing that.

Not easy, with the store carrying both lines Posted Image

I might have a big sale coming up soon, so that'll be really exciting, since I only just started...just hope I don't screw it up.

#10 of 17 george king

george king

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:02 AM

Joe,

A couple of things. Congrats on the new job, Gramaphone is a great store. I grew up in West Bloomfield and went to high school at Cranbrook, and so I know the area REAL well.

I was a long time Kef owner until I went DIY. That said, the Kef ref 205 were the first or second best set of speakers I have ever heard (the other was some Green Mountains), and they are competitive with anything up to $10K. They do list for around $8K though

Good luck.

#11 of 17 sharpjd2001

sharpjd2001

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 04:04 PM

Joe Hsu,

Any experience with the KEF KHT5005.2 system? Looks interesting to me but I can't find a dealer nearby to audition it. Any thoughts? Let me know if your store sells them. I'm in Indiana so I could get them from you and ship them here. Thanks in advance.

Sharpjd2001

#12 of 17 Greg Gable

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 03:29 AM

Velodyne, KEF, Dynaudio and Paradigm all have some fine products. Congrats- that should be a fun job!
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Yamaha RX-V659
Paradigm Studio 40 V.4 up front
Paradigm Studio CC-570
Paradigm Servo-15Sonance Symphony in-ceiling surrounds

#13 of 17 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 05:27 AM

FYI: did y'all see the date of the original post?

#14 of 17 Greg Gable

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 06:04 AM

lol...that's funny, I was just looking at the last post and followed right along. Oh well, I am bored anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceJ
FYI: did y'all see the date of the original post?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Yamaha RX-V659
Paradigm Studio 40 V.4 up front
Paradigm Studio CC-570
Paradigm Servo-15Sonance Symphony in-ceiling surrounds

#15 of 17 vm8444

vm8444

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 07:48 AM

great job mate ,,
congrats ,,

I think electronics really plays a role here when it comes to sound ,,.
and yes it is true your stereo is as good as its weakest link ,,so matching the correct decent amps with speakers really helps achieving a lovely sound with paradigm ,studios series,I like nad ,,amps.or recievers.,,with decent cables [aq]

kef ,spkers,nad and marantz sound lovely with em ,,not bright at all ,,the new xq series .,,
so I say have fun ,,play around with the equipment when not busy and enjoy,,
always remeber its really about the sound.

peace vm

#16 of 17 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 05:50 PM

!!!Posted Image

let's read all of the posts before we chime in, maybe being repetitious or otherwise saying things unnecessarily.
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#17 of 17 MikeNg

MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 09:08 PM

That's funny! Thank you Sharpjd2001 for raising the dead (thread)!