What's new

WILD AT HEART (consolidated thread) (1 Viewer)

Stephen A

Agent
Just checked www.dugpa.com
Wild at Heart and Blue Velvet DVD News !
"Just got word from John Neff that the Region 1 Wild at Heart DVD by MGM will go in production shortly after the new Blue Velvet DVD release. The new Blue Velvet DVD sporting Lynch's new 5.1 audio remix is tentatively scheduled for release in December of this year. Check back here in the next week or so for my exclusive interview with John Neff."
I hope they can get the rumored longer version shown in Cannes, which then got cut to R and released. Don May Jr. has talked about it a few times, and knows where a print of it is laying around.

Stephen A

Agent
The longer version I talked about was of Wild At Heart. Which supposedly was alot more violent and had to be cut down some to get an R rating.
The new DVD of Blue Velvet that is comming will have the new 5.1 remix. Also it is rumored to have some extras. Probably deleted scenes and some interviews.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
A version of Wild at Heart that's more violent than the existing version? I wouldn't have thought that was possible!
... wait a moment, my VHS copy is rated 18 (here in the UK), and an 18 certificate usually allows violence to go further than the R rating. Maybe my version is a European cut that kept the Cannes footage (like Basic Instinct... the euro cut was the same as the unrated director's cut).

Stephen A

Agent
I don't think the longer version of "Wild" have ever been released. I read about the longer version in an interview with Don May Jr. of Synapse Film, or it might have been in a message he posted on some forum. I think I'm going to try and find it now. Anyway, when he was at Elite they were going to release Wild At Heart on Laser, and while searching for elements (prints) they found this long version. Then ofcourse all the rights trouble began and they couldn't release it. and for awhile no one knew who had the rights. But now MGM seems to have realized the own them. I really hope the release the longer version, or both.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The previous DVD for Blue Velvet (for audio visual quality) was great!
It's the best the film has ever looked on video, but there's room for improvement. The current DVD has numerous visual artifacts around horizontal edges that can be quite distracting (I can't tell whether it's edge enhancement or just aliasing). Given the quality of some of MGM's recent releases, it would great to have a new video transfer to go with the rumored 5.1 remix.
M.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I have seen two versions of Wild at Heart. The primary way to tell the difference is to look at the scene where Spoiler:Willem Dafoe blows his head off.
If it is covered by an overlay of smoke, it is the R release. If it is clear as day, it is some other cut. I think I've only seen this other cut on cable (and only recently), so it could very well be some kind of European cut.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Stephen A

Agent
The long version is supposed to be about 20 min longer. So it's more that just more gore. There are probably serveral whole scenes not in the normal version.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
The long version is supposed to be about 20 min longer. So it's more that just more gore. There are probably serveral whole scenes not in the normal version.
Correct, this is the version that Lynch himself screened to his friends and colleagues before the film was publicly shown.
The 20 minutes was cut from the film on their advice, they felt that the film was just too much. The shorter version was then shown at Cannes.
The Willem Dafoe 'smoke-screen' was added after the Cannes premiere.
------------------
Link Removed

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
That would explain it. I certainly don't remember 20 minutes of additional material.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

I hope the Blue Velvet extras will include the IFC Independent View Lynch interview. I was pleasantly surprised that the American Pimp disc from MGM included the Hughes Bros. Independent View interview. A hit and miss show, but would make a great extra for Lynch completists, even though Blue Velvet is only a small part of a half hour show. Anyone have an e- or snail mail address to suggest this extra (for either the Velvet or Heart disc?).

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
..its becoming my mantra:
What about Lost Highway?
I don't mind my current Blue Velvet DVD. I want Lynch's best film since released on DVD. And I want to hear THAT audio mix.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Lost Highway is now with USA Films and at last report they are working on a release. But they generally take forever to release titles.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Mark Vadnais

Auditioning
Ok, so USA Films is working on it...
...are they involving Lynch in any way? (The thought of a commentary track alone is staggering.)
Anyone?

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone hear when/if this is coming out on dvd? I'm not a big David Lynch fan, but I do love this one.

Will K

Screenwriter
There have been rumors in the last year that MGM acquired this great film, but I don't know of anything concrete. I think this one tops my list of DVD wants...
my dog barks some...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks