Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

hitachi 65s700 for $2350 after rebate

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   nate n

nate n

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 05:30 PM

I have read very good reviews for this tv from various online sources. I am not the most knowledgable home theater enthusiasts so i would love some help. I mostly watch dvd's and play xbox. I will probably watch more tv since this bad boy has a built in tuner. I have heard that dvd's do not look very good on this tv. I will be hooking this tv up to my panny xp30. I have not found very many threads on this tv when I did a search. Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnKings

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 09:57 AM

I have a 51s700 and like it very much. If you don't mind me asking where are you getting that TV for that price? John

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   nate n

nate n

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 10:18 AM

circuit city has it for 2800, sears has it at retail for 3300 so i priced match and they gave me 10% of the difference also. Then I got 10% off the matched price(special they had that day) and then another 100 dollars off ($100 off rpt or lcd). There is also a rebate for 200 and 50 for delivery. Came out to $2600 before the rebates.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim_R_H

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 08:05 AM

I have the 65S500 (same thing without the built in HDTV tuner). You can find a lot of info on this tv at avsforum.com. If you adjust the tv correctly I think DVDs look very good

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   nate n

nate n

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 09:04 AM

tim, What are you settings for your 65s500? Any tips you can give me would be great. Thanks.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim_R_H

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 05:40 AM

Nate, I turned all of the enhancements off (edge, black, ...etc) put temperature to standard contrast to mid to low 30s brightness mid 40s color 50 tint center sharpness mid to low 30s I'm hoping to find time to get into the service menu and do some tweaking but for now these setting work well for watching DVDs. I used the Video Essentials DVD to help me adjust my user menu settings. I'm trying to figure out settings for playing my Xbox games..escpecially Ghost Recon: Island Thunder. I thought getting this TV would give me an edge on spotting and killing the enemy but so far I've been playing worse. It may be due to playing in 4:3 expanded or 16:9 ratio is throwing off my aim a bit. hope this helps

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 15 2003 - 07:21 AM

Sears' sticker prices on big TVs are nothing exciting, but if you go into the store and ask, they will beat ANYBODY.

I am about to purchase a set at Sears (with free shipping, no less) that is $300 less than at the next-cheapest place, which itself is a few hundred less than anywhere else. I've heard of other people getting fantastic deals there, too. They must use RPTVs as loss leaders or something! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   nate n

nate n

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 10:38 AM

Tim,

I ran across this thread at avs. Its got some great adjusts in the service menu you can do. Just remember to write down the default data before you change anything. Let me know what you final settings end up if you play with the service menu.

http://www.avsforum.....hreadid=273639

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay Foster

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 11:41 AM

Nate, I understand those tweaks are supposed to apply to all swx Hitachis also but I can't find many of them in my tv service menu. I have a 61SWX10B.
Jay Foster

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   nate n

nate n

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 03:34 PM

Jay, I have the returned my 65s700 and got a 57s700 instead because my room was too small for the 65". I can't say anything about the service menu for the model you have because I have never seen it, but the differences in the settings listed in that thread and my tv is that all the 4's are 3's, the F are D's and the G are E's in my service menu. For example, RY-PH-4 would be RY-PH-3, RY-PH-F would be RY-PH-D and RY-PH-G would be RY-PH-E in my service menu. Browse around in that forum or ask some questions, I am sure you can find a better answer from someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users