What's new

Weekly Roundup 12/9 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
BUG OUT!!!!!!!!!!! (quote from M*A*S*H - Season 5)

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart prices in the standard Roundup: Wal-Mart sets prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart location. When it comes to Wal-Mart prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Milage May Vary".

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__Costco__SamsClb
Bad Boys II_______________$20.27__$15.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$17.89__$_N/A_
Best/Muppet Show Vol. 6___$16.96__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Buffy/Vampire Slayer - S5_$38.99__$45.99__$45.99__$45.99__$39.99__$_N/A_
Dirty Dancing - Ult. Ed.__$13.99__$12.99__$12.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Firefly - Complete Series_$34.99__$39.99__$35.99__$35.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Gigli_____________________$18.87__$15.99__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
H. Hornblower: New Adv.'s_$27.96__$30.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
How To Deal_______________$19.56__$19.99__$15.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
L. McGuire: Fashionably.._$13.99__$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
L. McGuire: Growing Up..._$13.99__$14.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
M*A*S*H - Season 5________$27.99__$29.99__$34.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
PR Ninja Storm: CybrClash_$16.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
PR Ninja Storm: S's Jrny._$16.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Recess: All Growed Down___$16.99__$16.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Recess: Taking the 5th..._$16.99__$16.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Ultraman Tiga Starter Set_$33.96__$31.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* Non-OAR discs are left off the Roundup, whenever they've been identified in advance. Example: Jury Duty. This does NOT apply to markdowns, which are simply cut-and-paste from other lists.

* Yep, that really is the new Horatio Hornblower pair of shows that just aired on the A&E cable network this past week. It's already on DVD. Awesome, eh? Of course, it aired in the U.K. last January! Oh, and by the way: the best B&M price on the Roundup for this is Circuit City's $29.99. But BestBuy.com has a 20%-off sale on A&E items through Dec. 13th. I recommend you purchase the set on-line, and perhaps mark it for in-store pickup. The price works out to be $24.79 instead! :D

* Best Buy: 2-for-$25 when you buy Bad Boys II and Bad Boys - Special Editon on the same receipt.

* Best Buy: Free Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie ($9.99 value) instantly, with purchase of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 5.

* Best Buy: Save on multiples of M*A*S*H when purchased on the same receipt: Buy 2, save $10...buy 3, save $15...buy 4, save $25...buy all 5 seasons, save $40.

* Best Buy: Save $5 when you purchase the Dirty Dancing - Ultimate Edition DVD and soundtrack. Must be purchased on the same receipt.

* Circuit City: save $5 instantly with combined purchaseDirty Dancing - Ultimate Edition DVD & CD soundtrack.

* Circuit City: save $10 instantly with combined purchase Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 5 & any one of Seasons 1-4.

* Circuit City's ad shows Dawson's Creek - Season 2 a week early. The street date is 12/16. History teaches us that this item probably won't be in stores this week, despite the ad. If you can find one at CC, though, they claim a $34.99 sale price...which isn't bad at all.

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:
-------------------------
EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 9, 2003

Blackjack, Bounty Hunters, White Squall Buena Vista 9.99

Iris Blond, The Kid, Mystery Alaska, The Neverending Story III, Unhook the Stars, Walking and Talking Buena Vista 14.99

High Heels And Low Lifes Buena Vista 19.99

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave! Thanks a lot, but thanks for nuthin'!

Nice quiet week. Nothing new to buy. A nice thing to have during the expensive holiday shopping season.

Ya know, since its a quiet week.....
Several weeks ago, you listed a price drop-down on The Elephant Man, but everyplace I know who carries the title still has it at $24.99. Are price drops just a voluntary thing? Or, maybe the retailer will sell out existing stock at the old price? How does that work? I've been watching this one for a long time.

*EDIT: Ooops! Just remembered that this is the week that the enhanced LE CD of the Return of the King soundtrack hits the stores Tuesday. So much for a quiet week!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks David, just dirty dancing ultimate 2 disc set for me. Id like to thank David at this time, for all the wonderful roundups he has provided throughout time. This is probably the last roundup ill be participating in,since on the 14th im moving to Greece. David, whenever i watch my region 1 dvds in Greece ill be thinking of the money you saved me.After a while when i get settled down, probably in January, ill post on the software boards to see how everyones doing, ill miss you guys, especially David.:emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mike, Amazon shows a $19.99 SRP on that. So the stores you are checking either ignored/missed the markdown, or they changed it in the system and forgot to switch the tags.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Tony! Good luck on the relocation! We'll miss ya around the HTF. (Are you moving because of a change in jobs? If so, I've always wondered....what's a Grecian earn?:rolleyes)

Dave: Thanks! Circuit City is one of the place I've been checking on a regular basis. Elephant Man is not a common title for many places. I'll ask them about their price. But why do I think I'll get that deer in the headlight stare?!?!:D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Mike , thanks !Not so much because of a change of job , but because my whole family is moving there, my dad, my mom, my sister, dont want to be all alone , lol ! :) Anyone thats curious to see where im going check out chiosonline.gr, dont worry the site its in english, unless you change the settings.;) Now back to the roundup.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again, Dave, for all your hard work. The new Hornblower Adventures should be arriving just in time for Christmas Break!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Mike...Circuit City is THE WORST in my experience about forgetting to change pricetags on marked down items!

Whenever I run across this in their stores, I take the item to any clerk and say, "Can you pricecheck this? My brother in Texas bought this at one of your stores for a lower price than this tag says, and I'd like to see if you just have an old tag on this copy."

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks as always David! Just Buffy this week for me-- I've never seen the original movie but I can't turn down a freebie anyway so I'll be going to Best Buy.

Is Dirty Dancing UE really new this week? I thought it had been out for quite awhile! If it's new, that's really odd, as my roommate picked it up yesterday (I won't say where as I know that's against forum rules).

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Yes, the dirty dancing is new, its actually the 3rd edition released so far, but has more extras this time around.Just make sure it says ultimate edition, to be sure you got the latest.:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

Indiana Jones Trilogy set $49.99
Scarface Deluxe set $47.99

2 for $20
Spiderman
Tears of the Sun
Desperado
Black Hawk Down
Bad Boys
Two Can Play That Game
XXX
Resident Evil
National Security
Half Past Dead

Matrix Reloaded $15.99

Dawson's Creek Season 2 $34.99

Will Smith/Martin Lawrence titles:
Independence Day $12.99
Black Knight $8.99
Blue Streak $8.99
Big Momma's House $8.99

Holiday titles $12.99 each:
Chrismas Carol the Movie(animated)
Miracle on 34th Street
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol(George C. Scott)

Rudolph/Frosty The Snowman/Santa is Coming to Town trio DVD set $29.99

Recent releases $19.99
Pirates of the Caribbean
Lion King
Bruce Almighty
T3

Total Recall $9.99
Rambo $9.99
Temptations/Standing in Shadows of Motown $14.99
T2 Extreme $19.99
Doors $9.99
Natl Lampoon Van Wilder/Weekend at Bernie's 2-pack $14.99

Boxsets (Buy 2 save $20, Buy 3 save $40, Buy 4 save $60):

Oz: 2nd season $49.99
Band of Brothers $79.99
Sex and the City 4th Season $39.99
The Sopranos 4th Season $79.99

-----------

Best Buy on sale DVD items

2 for $20:
Spiderman
Stand By Me
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Darkness Falls
Lawrence of Arabia
Dogma
Desperado
Hook
Donnie Brasco
Memento
Charlie's Angels
Snatch
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Will Smith - Martin Lawrence titles

Independence Day $14.99
Blue Streak $9.99
Enemy of the State $14.99
MIB 1 or 2 14.99 each
National Security $14.99
Nothing to Lose $9.99

Farrelly Brothers DVDs:

Kingpin $9.99
Me Myself + Irene $9.99

Shallow Hal $14.99
Dumb and Dumber $14.99
There's Something about Mary $19.99

Misc:
Tony Hawk's Trick Tips $19.99
JDM Insider $12.99
Finding Nemo $19.99
Pirates $19.99(get $10 off 40 DVD case($29.99) with Pirates purchase)

---------------

Target on sale DVD items:

DVDs
Leap Frog Letter Factory - $9.99 (save 2 dollars on any LeapFrog activity book)

$39.99 each
Simpsons Season 3
Family Guy Volume 1
Family Guy Volume 2
Friends Season 5
Sex and the City Season 4
Saved by the Bell Season 1 and 2
King of the Hill Season 2

Will and Grace Season 1 - $34.99
Buffy Season 4 - $45.99

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Nothing directly for me this week. I'm getting M*A*S*H for a friend of mine, and yet I know my mom is getting me the same thing for Christmas so I couldn't avoid buying it anyway.

Tony good luck with the move to Greece.

Don't ask me why I originally wrote love...part of typing with the flu.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
After the Deep Discount fiasco, we've got no more money Dave for this Weekly roundup stuff. ;)

Thanks for keeping this week's expenditures to under $100.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Just Firefly for me. I've read elsewhere that Sam Goody might still have the $19.99 price on preorders but I'm not sure about the Tuesady sales price. Thanks as always Dave!

Chris S.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I already ordered Buffy and Firefly. nothign more for me this week. After that DDD sale, I have $20 in my checking account.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Nice breather after so many releases over the last several weeks ;)

Thanks Dave. My wallet is happy to say that there's nothing for me this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks