-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No Saturday Night Live last night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:00 AM

Last night, several NBC affiliates refused to air the live episode of SNL hosted by Al Sharpton. NBC lawyers certified that it could be broadcasted nationally without breaking equal time rules, but some affiliates showed infomercials, Cheers reruns or The Best of Steve Martin instead.

The next morning, Sharpton was on CBS This Morning. That was broadcasted nationally...

I was really disappointed by this. I'm a big SNL fan, and I haven't missed a show in over 8 years.

If you lived in one of the cities where it wasn't shown, call or e-mail your NBC affiliate and complain.

I was really looking forward to this episode because Tracy Morgan was supposed to return. Anyone else see it?
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#2 of 26 Edward Mann

Edward Mann

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for posting this, I was scatching my head this morning while watching the best of Steve Martin. I wonder how many affiliates actually showed the new episode?

#3 of 26 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:11 AM

My wife and I watched the first three skits and then went to bed. I hadn't heard anything about this. What was the stink over?
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#4 of 26 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,659 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:17 AM

As I was channel-surfing, I saw a small tidbit of SNL, and it was during a skit that featured Sharpton, and Tracy, so I assumed it was a repeat and kept on surfing to get to Sportscenter on ESPN.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 26 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,979 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:43 AM

They showed it in the Bay Area.

I was channel surfing and caught the skit about Michael Jackson on the roller coaster, it was pretty funny.

It would be interesting to see a list of the stations that refused to air the episode.

#6 of 26 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:49 AM

It was not shown here in Iowa. As the first caucas in the nation (January 19th) and in the middle of the heated campaigns, the four indidual NBC affiliates in Iowa decided not to run the program. As I understand it, equal time laws require broadcasters (including radio--a similar hiccup occured on the Howard Stern show some weeks ago) to give air time to all serious candidates if they give air time to one. News programs are exceptions. I believe the Howard Stern fiasco was resolved when it was determined that his show qualified as a "news show."

Here is an article from CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2.....ap/index.html

The presidential candidate's appearance wasn't seen everywhere. All four NBC affiliates in Iowa refused to air "Saturday Night Live" for fear it would activate federal "equal time provisions" and compel them to offer time to the other eight Democrats running for president.

It's unlikely other Democratic candidates will follow Sharpton as host, since it would require them to take a week off the campaign trail to rehearse.

BONUS:
Here is a link explaining the news exemption and Howard Stern:
http://www.techlawjo....3/20030909.asp

#7 of 26 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 03:58 AM

The Canadian channels were showing last night's live broadcast while the Boston affiliate on ExpressVu was broadcasting the Best of Steve Martin.

I actually watched most of the Steve Martin special with a quick jump to the Weekend Update segment on the live broadcast. Posted Image

#8 of 26 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 04:07 AM

wish they would have showed this episode everywhere and allowed the other Democratic candidates to also come on SNL if they wanted equal time.
My Collection

#9 of 26 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 05:04 AM

They talked about this in the opening skit and on Weekend Update, where Tina and Jimmy made fun of the cities that didn't show it.

I taped it, I've got a video capture card...PM Posted Image

#10 of 26 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 05:39 AM

I loved the skit that showed the other candidates all hanging out watching the show together. John Kerry took off his coat, and his shirt sleeves were already rolled up underneath. Posted Image

And John Edwards was portrayed as an quasi-efeminate ass-kisser trying to secure a VP nomination. Funny stuff.

I was expecting one of the black male SNL-ers to dress up as Carol Moseley Braun, though. Too bad they ran out of white guys, no one did Kucinich. They should have had Amy Poehler play him. Posted Image

#11 of 26 Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 08:53 AM

We got it in Little Rock, (hometown of Wesley Clark) and I thought it was one of the funnier episodes lately. I also really enjoyed Jimmy and Tina making fun of the cities that didn't air it.
Rocky

#12 of 26 Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 05:19 PM

And gotta love Don Pardo's little announcement at the end of that section of the Weekend Update segment. Posted Image Of course, after that, the highlight of Weekend Update was Jimmy Fallon interviewing Paris Hilton. Don't we all wish we could ask her those questions? Posted Image
Go to see the film An Inconvenient Truth - one of the most important films of a generation.

Watch the I've Got Munchies podcast.

#13 of 26 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 08 2003 - 01:06 AM

I thought it was a pretty unfunny episode, but there were a few highlights. The Magi being pulled over on their camels for driving while black was hilarious. Update was pretty good. Sharpton was game, but the writers let him down.

The Democratic Candidates had a few amusing characterizations, but the sketch was pretty soft, overall.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#14 of 26 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 01:49 AM

States and cities where it was perceived as having an impact on early primaries (Iowa, Conneticut) dropped coverage. Wasn't because of negativity toward Sharpton. The law says that if he gets 1 1/2 hour time from the station, the station must provide equal time to his opposing candidates in the primaries.. no station wants to give up 12 hours at this point to other candidates free of charge to air a single ep of SNL. Lobby groups for those candidates were successful in areas where they were able to contend campaigning had already begun in that state and fair access laws applied.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#15 of 26 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 08 2003 - 02:06 AM

It wasn't shown here in Vermont/northern NY either. Probably at the request of Howard Dean...putz. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 26 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 02:25 AM

Probably because those overlap into Connecticut, where campaigning has officially begun Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#17 of 26 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 08 2003 - 03:27 AM

Probably because those overlap into Connecticut

Doubtful, since the state of Massachusetts lies between VT and CT.

More likely it was in deference to NH, part of which is within the broadcast area of one of the NBC affiliates.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#18 of 26 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 03:36 AM

I wondered why flipping by NBC I saw an old Steve Martin skits.....I just now realized that one of the NBC affiliates we get is based in Joplin, MO, and the other is in KC, MO.

#19 of 26 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 05:00 AM

KC, MO blacked out because of Iowa. They noted this earlier. Correct on the NH reference, my brain wasn't working this morning Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#20 of 26 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted December 08 2003 - 11:25 AM

I'm surprised any of Iowa is in range of Kansas City. it's more than 100 miles from the border. Unless they have relays farther north, but still, that part of Iowa is more or less unpopulated.
My Collection