-

Photo
- - - - -

Remote(s) question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 dan_dj

dan_dj

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 02:35 AM

I have my components in a cabinet with a solid wood door. How can I get my remotes to work without opening the door each time I want to use my HT? I've seen ads for 'remote extenders', but they look they just add distance to the remotes capability?

#2 of 10 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 04:16 AM

Dan, if your remote works via an infrared sensor, it has to "see" the equipment it is intended to operate. Meaning the door must be opened.

#3 of 10 dan_dj

dan_dj

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 04:32 AM

Is there such a thing as a 'add-on' remote eye that I could wire outside the cabinet ( say, near the tv ) that would then transmit the signals to the components? The remote would be then be able to 'see' the external eye.

I don't know if i'm using the right lingo, but I hope you are understanding my question.....

#4 of 10 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 04:46 AM

Yes, there are IR repeaters that have an IR receiver, and then an emitter that you wire somewhere else (such as inside the cabinet).

People with closets or racks of equipment that are in another room use these devices. I'm not sure what exactly is available, as I've not used/had a need for such a device, but I do know there is a solution for your problem. How much it costs, though, I have no idea. I don't imagine it'd be too much...

#5 of 10 Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 10:20 AM

An IR repeater is exactly what you want in this case. It consists of 2 units, each about the size of a small computer speaker. One has a small antenna and a cord with an "eye" on the end. This unit will sit inside your cabinet, and the "eye" will be placed in front of, or close to the a/v components' IR "eye". The second unit sits on top of your cabinet. Just point your remote at the unit on the cabinet, and it sends the commands to the one inside, which inturn, controls your equipment. They are available at most places like radio shack, best buy, etc. As for cost, they are about $80 in Canada, so I'm guessing maybe $50-60 US.

Tim

#6 of 10 Jack_TN

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 12:39 PM

There are basicly two types of IR repeaters. Both have some type of receiver or eye which you place where it can pick up signals from your remote, as mentioned above. it relays the signal to the repeater to control your equipment.

One type of repeater just has one unit which sends out a signal similar to your remote. This unit has to be placed where all your equipment can see it. Most likely this is the type of system you'll find at RadioShack or somewhere like that.

The other type of repeater is known as 'hard-wired'. The signal is sent to the equipment through wires which each terminate in a small ir emitter which you stick over the equipment's receiving eye. Look up Xantech or Speakercraft Smartpath to see what I'm talking about. Depending on how your equipment is placed, you may need this type of system.

Jack

#7 of 10 dan_dj

dan_dj

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 01:44 PM

That's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for all the good replies!

#8 of 10 PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 04:10 AM

http://www.nilesaudi...s/infrared.html
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#9 of 10 Robt_Moore

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 08:06 AM

Try rockler.com
Search for item# 90038
Hidden Link and Micro Link

They transmit all remote control commands behind wooden door to audio/video components.

More details for Hidden Link and Micro Link
Just aim your remote control at the small infrared receiver. The signal is transmitted over a thin wire to the interior of the cabinet, where infrared emitters retransmit remote control commands directly to your equipment. Each system includes an infrared receiver (either Hidden or Micro Link), a power source, a two port connection block and a single emitter-90038 enough for one component. To hook up more components, order single or dual emitters to match you number of components. For 5 to 12 components, a six port connection block is required. A six port connection block supports up to six dual emitters for a total of 12 components

#10 of 10 Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 07:09 PM

www.surfremote.com

Go here... clink on Wireless Accessories.. then click on to HOTLINK PRO. This is what I use and it works flawlessly each time! Not a bad price either.Posted Image