What's new

movie moments - the biggest laugh you've had (spoilers, of course) (1 Viewer)

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
We've got best wow moment threads. I thought I'd start one on movie moments that have given you the biggest laugh.

The best moment for me was part of a whole experience. We had gone to the festival of animation quite a few years ago. It was filled with shorts full of satire or ones that had amazing technical break throughs. By the end most of us were bored and ready to go. But then for the grand finally they showed Nick Park's Wallace and Gromit in The Wrong Trowsers.

I have never heard an audience laugh so hard and loud before nor since as I did when we saw the train scene where Gromit is laying down the track pieces.

- bones

David_Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Here are two of mine...there are many more but im sure they will be mentioned by others:

1.Planes, Trains and Automobiles :From start to finish...but the scene with the pillows and him washing his face with Dell's socks gets me every time.

2.Bowfinger :The end with the NINJA PURSE bit,it has me laughin so hard i have to pause it to get air.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
One of my favourites:

Charade

Ten minutes into the film, Audrey Hepburn is at her husband's funeral. It's almost empty - just Hepburn, her friend, and the detective. Then some guy walks in, walks up to the coffin, and sneezes all over the body, looks at the body for a moment, tries to leave, notes the detective, and sits down.
A second guy walks in, holds a mirror under the corpse's nose, no breath, sits down.
Then a third guy walks in, pulls a pin out of his lapel, and stabs the body.

Am I a bad person for laughing hysterically every time the third guy comes into the room?

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Airplane

When Robert Stack walks right through what you thought was a mirror.

And just a bit later when he's driving the car and the backgrounds are changing wildly.

And then when he gets to the airport and whips off his sunglasses to reveal another smaller set underneath.

Uncle Buck

When John Candy goes to the bathroom at the elementary school and has to slowly bend his knees to use the urinal until he's practically on his knees.

Bowling For Columbine

The scene advocating stricter clothing regulations for high school kids that had the young boy pulling out gun after gun after gun from his pants. And then finishing with him pulling out a rifle...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The first time I saw YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and the "soup scene" almost had me wetting my pants with laughter.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I still recall fondly seeing There's Something About Mary in the theaters. Although the theater resoundingly responded to the film, the scene where fluffy gets some medical attention left me and the entire theater gasping for breath amidst the tears.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wot, no references to American Pie?

In short, most scenes with Eugene Levy, in particular the post-pie-hump "We'll tell your mother we ate it all...", and "Shaved..."

And of course Michelle's "Say my name..."

In Pie 2, where the two guys have to make out with each other.

And superglue.

Also, Top Secret. Full of great laughs, but one top moment is when Nigel confronts Nick and Hilary after his "encounter" whilst wearing the cow suit, and how he "walks".

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This is all off the top of my head, so the quotes are approximate, and I'm leaving out tons of laugh out loud movies.

Young Frankenstein - too many, a number already mentioned. "Put the candle back"

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - again, throughout the movie. "Those aren't pillows!"

The Odd Couple 2 - when the old man is driving the car super slowly, being passed up by progressively funnier things.

The Apartment - "He's at it again!"

Airplane! - lots, but especially the smiling inflated co-pilot.

Monty Python & the Holy Grail - the entire movie. "Run away!"

The Princess Bride - lots. "Inconceivable" "I do not think this means what you think it means"

Pillow Talk - gay actor Rock Hudson playing straight guy pretending to be gay.

Blazing Saddles - the whole thing. "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges"

Road to Utopia - Bob Hope finally gets Dorothy Lamour. They even have a son at the end (who turns out to look exactly like Bing).

Adam's Rib - the whole "Farewell Amanda" sequence, with the swinging door.

Hopscotch - lots, but especially when Kendig gets Myerson's house shot up.

The Birdcage - realizing that a gay walk and John Wayne's walk are the same thing.

Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - again, most of it, especially the end of the first song when they walk off stage and the pie throwing lecture.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - the whole thing. "From now on it's every man, including the old bag, for himself"

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Bean - Don't remember what I laughed at, I just remember that I laughed hard and so did the rest of the theater.

Undercover Brother - Too many scenes to list...:D

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Wow, way too many to remember all at once. Here's what I have on the top of my head.

Analyze That: The realy weird dream sequence. Billy Crystal sniffing coke...DeNiro fighting giants with a limp sword.

Sour Grapes: "Oh, funny. Here...here's your fucking check!"

Home Alone: When Marv steps on the ornaments with his bare feet and one of them explodes.

Uncle Buck: The drunk clown

Christmas Vacation Slow motion shot of Clark plugging in the lights, and when it goes apeshit punched santa in the face then kicks him up in the air, then karate chops the reindeer's antlers off.

Private Parts: I think they are playing the Match Game, and the phrase is "______ a doodle doo" and everybody picked 'cock' including Robin, who says "Just like the guys...I got cock!"

Cagri

Second Unit
I hardly laugh out loud in films. I may be entertained and smile during a funny film, but rarely really laugh. Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels is one of the few exceptions. It was a lot of fun from start to the end, but I was literally on the floor when Afro started to curse after Nick the Greek in several different languages with that incredibly funny anger on his face.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Supertroopers From start to finish this movie had me rolling on the floor. One of the few movies if I watch it alone, I laugh out loud.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The News Anchor scene in Bruce Almighty. I was laughing so hard my chest was hurting and tears out of my eyes. The rest of the movie was amusing at best, but that part was hilarious.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
A few great ones that come to mind:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - when Indy has the showdown with the guy with the big sword, and the big guy's showing out his sword skills, Indy just looks at him as if to say, "Oh, to hell with it!", pulls his gun out, and with one shot takes the swordsman down. The combination of direction, acting, and John Williams' musical score was just perfect! That always brings out the biggest laughs every time!

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Kirk saying to the 20th century cab driver, "Double dumb ass on you!" Who would have thought the unflappable 23rd century captain could have ever mastered the art of profanity so skillfully and so quickly?

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - At the end of the film, when Spock says very straight-faced about the crew's orders to return home, "If I were human, I believe my response would be... go to hell." That also got great laughs.

Blazing Saddles - The whole film is a laugh riot from start to finish! Mel Brooks at his best. The reason it holds up so well after 30 years is that it was extremely unconventional and took no prisoners in its writing and comic timing.

The Empire Strikes Back - The lamp duel between Yoda and R2-D2 always got good laughs as well.

Star Wars: Special Edition - Now in defense of the SE, I have to admit one of the biggest howls that occurred when I saw the film in the theaters was in the SE replacement when Han turns the corner and runs smack into the faces of several hundred stormtroopers. That shot, combined with the original footage of Harrison Ford's reaction, made it all the funnier.

Tootsie - Many wonderfully hilarious moments in this film. One moment is when Dustin Hoffman's character of Michael, now dressed as Dorothy, tries to call for a taxi. He's unsuccessful in his faux female voice, then resorts to his natural voice and stops the taxi. A brief but hilarious moment. Another one is when he/she tells off the sexist soap opera director on the TV set and says in the faux Southern female accent, "Shame on you, you macho shithead!" I always howl at that moment. And of course, the finale on live television - non-stop laughter for nearly two minutes! It was perfect!

Victor/Victoria - The finale, where Robert Preston performs "The Shady Dame From Seville" in full drag as "Victoria", and everything goes wrong. Really funny moment.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
The middle performance, where everything goes wrong, in 'Noises Off.' That 15-20 minutes is an endless barrage of slapstick humor that eventually overwhelms you and sends you into paroxysms of laughter.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The first time I saw the There's Something About Mary trailer, I nearly hurt something from laughing so hard when the dog jumped out the window and then reappeared in the cast.

I can barely tolerate the movie now, but that scene nearly killed me.

Lots of really great moments in this thread; most of them I can picture and just smile at.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Airplane!

- Pretty much most of the movie, but the scene with everyone lined up to slap the hysterical woman is perfection.

- Leslie Nielson doctoring a woman in stirrups.

- The "I asked the man next to me to pinch me" bit.

Out West

- Classic Fatty Arbuckle-Buster Keaton comedy... The scene with Fatty smashing bottle after bottle on Al St. John's head had me in tears....

- Buster Keaton shooting a cheater at a card game. He picks up his cards and says "You would have lost anyways."

- The gag with the hands on the clock "reaching up"

Help!

- The whole restaurant scene. "Doesn't the blood rush to your head?" "Isn't the Eastern flavor rather expensive?" "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?" "There's somebody been in my soup." "Season ticket. What do you think it is?" "Oh...I like a little bit of seasoning."

The Blues Brothers

- The chase at the end...especially the part with the Nazis.

City Lights

- The first 5 minutes of the film.

The Court Jester

- Pretty much the whole film... the whole "pellet with the poison" scene is genius. (I have part of it in my signature :) )

The Two Towers

- "43." "He was already dead!" "He was twitching." "He was twitching because my axe is embedded in his nervous system!!!"

- The whole rabbit stew scene between Sam and Gollum. "What's taters, precious?"

Top Secret

- The whole movie.

UHF

- A fist from Kuni's Karate Studio punching through the wall and George looking at his watch. The big fight with Michael Richards is great, too.

Young Frankenstein

- The scene where Madeline Kahn arrives at the castle.

Nick-G

Agent
When I saw Ace Ventura 2 in the theaters the "chitty-chitty bang-bang" scene had me rolling.
As for watching movies at home, the copymachine-bashing scene in Office Space always gets me, as does the llamas scene in Dude Where's My Car. I still laugh all the way through Meet the Parents and Drop Dead Gorgeous

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks