-

Photo

ABBOTT & COSTELLO dvds and "...Meet Captain Kidd" (coming to DVD?)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 of 95 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 01 2011 - 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

Just in time for April 1.

Is this legit?

Same here, my order has been processed, so this is a nice April Fool's Day surprise.  They did not even let any of this out on their Facebook page as they usually do.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#82 of 95 ONLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,947 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 05:53 AM

I am rather disappointed about this.  These are titles WHV talked about for years and they really deserved a pressed release.  I would also have like to see Marlowe be pressed, although I am slightly less disappointed about it.  It would be nice if, for the most desired titles, WA would take a page from the TCM/Universal Vault Collection and press a limited number of titles so those of us who care can the film in our desired format.  I think this might also help boost WA's sales as it would force people to hurry up an buy.  To be honest, this is one case where I wish the WA announcement was an April Fool's Day Joke.

#83 of 95 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 11:51 AM

Bob,

From the email, and see below:

"Abbott and Costello fans, your requests have been heard! This week, we are pleased to present two of "the boys'" most highly sought after films on DVD for the first time.
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD (1952) REMASTERED When waiters Rocky and Puddin' Head (Abbott and Costello) accidentally come into possession of a treasure map, they find themselves shanghaied by the notorious pirate, Captain Kidd. Master thespian Charles Laughton was enticed to return to the role he made famous by the prospect of learning how to do proper double-takes from a true master, Mr. Lou Costello. Produced independently byBud Abbott's production company, the piratical romp was one of the boys' only forays into color. Although the Super Cinecolor process they chose proved to be a far from ideal, this premiere DVD release (remastered from preservation elements created as part of UCLA's 2002 photochemical restoration) is as good as the film has looked in decades."

So they did finally get the remastered UCLA copy to work from.  YEAHHH!

See here:

http://www.wbshop.co...d=0411WACNRaEml

:)

mw

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#84 of 95 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 01 2011 - 01:12 PM

The April's Fool joke that they are not going to be released today, but Tuesday April 5th.  All orders are good and will be fulfilled but nothing shipped until after Tuesday.  Ha ha.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#85 of 95 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 11 2011 - 01:25 PM

As I was watching Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd, I realized that this was the last Abbott & Costello film missing from DVD.  While Africa Screams and Jack & The Beanstalk are PD prints and not near as good transfers as what Warner and Universal have given us, this is it, their legacy is now complete and on DVD.  And let us not forget their complete television show is also available.  I am not sure there is another actor or comedy team that is so well represented.  A true honor to their comic legacy.

Edit:  I did not indicate that I had just watched the Rio Rita WAC DVDr before popping in Captian Kidd.

#86 of 95 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,253 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 12 2011 - 12:45 AM

It is always gratifying when something like this happens, the completion of an artist's career output available for viewing in its entirety. You're right that it doesn't happen very often.

#87 of 95 ONLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,416 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 06:02 AM

Rio Rita was also missing from DVD but since it was released the same time as Captain Kidd their film output is definately now complete.

A nicer version of Jack in the Beanstalk and Africa Screams would be nice though.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#88 of 95 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick 

Rio Rita was also missing from DVD but since it was released the same time as Captain Kidd their film output is definately now complete.

A nicer version of Jack in the Beanstalk and Africa Screams would be nice though.

I think that was a given since they both came out at the same time.

#89 of 95 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted April 12 2011 - 03:12 PM

Roan's double feature of "Jack and the Beanstalk" and Africa Screams" are pretty good copies. JATB is a tad soft but the best version of AS is the one from 1997 from Silver Screen Collectors Edition.

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#90 of 95 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahollis 

As I was watching Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd, I realized that this was the last Abbott & Costello film missing from DVD.  While Africa Screams and Jack & The Beanstalk are PD prints and not near as good transfers as what Warner and Universal have given us, this is it, their legacy is now complete and on DVD.  And let us not forget their complete television show is also available.  I am not sure there is another actor or comedy team that is so well represented.  A true honor to their comic legacy.

Originally Posted by MattH. 

It is always gratifying when something like this happens, the completion of an artist's career output available for viewing in its entirety. You're right that it doesn't happen very often.

This is so gratifying for me.  I've always loved most of the comedy teams from the 30's, 40's and 50's but Abbott & Costello are far and away my favorite of all time.  They've held a special place in my heart since I was a preschooler, and that fondness has never waned.  Of all that DVD has offered, the collections I have of Bud & Lou are my most cherished.  The fact that we now have all the feature films and their entire TV series is truly fantastic.

Gary "glad to see both these films officially released - now I can retire my vhs & off TV copies of both" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#91 of 95 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 06:48 AM

If you don't own it already, "Abbott & Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection" box set is now on sale on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B001EXE2Y2

#92 of 95 OFFLINE   williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 07:31 PM

I see Amazon now charges a sales tax.

#93 of 95 ONLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,416 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 11:30 AM

I believe they started charging tax in January, 2013. At least for California they did.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#94 of 95 OFFLINE   williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 12:10 PM

My last month’s order on January 28th, there was no sales tax, so it’s a new here in Indiana.

#95 of 95 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 11 2014 - 12:30 PM

I see Amazon now charges a sales tax.

It depends on what state you live in. More states are requiring sales tax on internet orders each year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users