What's new

Mac question: installing new HD (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
hi. i have a G4, from '99. OS: 8.6

yesterday my Master HD failed, so i had to replace it. master: original 10G drive, add on(slave): 40G western digital.

i replaced the 10G Master with another 40G western Digital, but for some reason the computer won't read it when connected, not by itself or with the second working HD connected, either as master or slave. i've also tried to use another new 80G maxtor, same problem - computer won't read it.

help...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
after booting from your system CD, open up Drive Setup (found in the Utilities folder of the startup CD, and see if it can "see" the hard drive.

is there an operating system on it? if not, you need to boot from a system CD and install the OS on the new drive.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i solved the problem. what happened was when the master failed, i inserted the boot OS CD and it immediately recognized the failed master and offered to initialize/format it. so i assumed that it does that on all new HDs. anyways i did the disk setup and it worked.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks