Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anchor Bay made my day tonight!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 06:47 PM

To think that I can watch one of my favorite B movies, THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF, on DVD next year, with a Roger Moore commentary! It doesn't get any better than that!

Well, not tonight anyway. Posted Image

I am glad others asked about the original soundtrack to HIGHLANDER and those terrific music videos! Let's hope for the best. Posted Image

Posted Image

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 07:31 PM

Matt, I'm glad AB made your day! TMWHH sounds like a neat little film - I'll keep an eye out for it. As for myself, I'm kinda bummed that AB couldn't get the rights to The Ninth Configuration. I may just give in and order the widescreen VHS... Posted Image

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 07:49 PM

I got one of my questions in about the Wild at Heart DVD. I hope they follow up with that one. That title is screaming to be released.

------------------
-John
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVD
Fight for the Deleted Scenes Petition
http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight
-John

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVDFight for the Deleted Scenes Petitionhttp://www.myspace.com/fwwmfight

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 08:35 PM

Matt, I recall you also asked Michael Felsher about an uncut SHOUT AT THE DEVIL on DVD. Actually, MGM owns it these days. They've been restoring footage to other American-International films on DVD (PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES, DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN, THE DUNWICH HORROR, etc), so maybe they'll eventually give us SHOUT AT THE DEVIL uncut, if we're lucky. Meanwhile, I wish that Warner would favor us with a widescreen DVD of the other great movie team-up of Roger Moore and director Peter Hunt, GOLD (1974).

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 11:04 PM

I was happy to see hear that they are trying to work on Sante Sangre

------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"

S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#6 of 26 Guest_Pieter_L_*

Guest_Pieter_L_*

Posted September 18 2001 - 11:12 PM

Peter F, did you read the original novels GOLD and SHOUT AT THE DEVIL? both were written by Wilbur Smith.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 05:15 AM

If MGM owns SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, then we will likely get the 125 minute version, which has very noticeable cuts (even the music jumps). the finale is riddled with snips here and there, creating herky jerky editing that is infuriating. TCM ran this version a couple months ago, in widescreen (looked very good) and will run it again around the 24th. I need to write MGM.

Steve, THE MAN WITHOUT A FACE is a really interesting film, with a great performance by Roger Moore. The film is short, but well done. It would be good material for a remake.

Peter, I would love to see GOLD on DVD. I only saw it once on TV when I was a kid, but I really enjoyed it. Since it's a Panavision film, I have refused to rent the cropped VHS version.

All in all I'd say the chat was worth doing. Let's hope they can succeed in getting those Queen music videos for the HIGHLANDER SE, as well as the original soundtrack. Posted Image

------------------

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Ricky f

Ricky f

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 05:21 AM

Although nothing confirmed, I am happy because they will be releasing some Pheobe Cates movies. They said they were looking into DROP DEAD FRED

I am very happy, Hope has possesed my body.

Regards,
Ricky

------------------

Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD

http://www.hometheat....ML/003344.html

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,003 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 05:24 AM

I too am hoping he was serious about looking into the rights for the 1980 fantasy film "Hawk The Slayer". Thanks AB for doing the chat!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 05:28 AM

With the mention of the Ealing Comedies, "Lavendar Hill Mob", "Lady Killers", etc. These are some of my favorite films and I wondered if there were more than a dozen people that even knew of these movies, much less would buy a DVD of them. Also, was happy to see the mention of "Can't Stop the Music". This is such an outrageous film. It is on my shelf in VHS form and just waiting to be tossed in favor of a DVD.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 06:43 AM

[quote]

[quote]

I missed that - it must have been discussed during my snack run. Anyway, that's EXCELLENT!

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 08:22 AM

I can't believe that people were clamoring for "RAD" (RAD?! I cry as I launch into apopleptic Lewis Black mode) while Wim Wenders titles like "Wings of Desire" were left unmentioned. Jeez.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 09:05 AM

[quote]

[quote]

I'd also love some details on this if anyone's got 'em! Are they trying to obtain the rights? Are the rights to this one all screwed up in that big ol' legal brouhaha like most of the other Jodorowsky films?

And was there any info at all about the Wenders titles (particularly "Paris, Texas" and "Wings of Desire")?

What the hell is "Rad"?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 09:06 AM

Ooh ooh... did they give a release date for The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser (aka Every Man for Himself and God Against All)?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 09:20 AM

Glancing at the transcript at http://www.hometheat...les/anchor3.txt

------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 10:03 AM

No, the Herzog's didn't come up. That would have been my question, but I was having connection trouble and a whole lot of lag so all I got was error messages when I tried to type something.

The Sante Sangre question came up after the chat. Michael stuck around for a short while and let people fire questions at him. He said nothing is solid but they were working on it. Whether that means they are trying to get the rights or have them and are working on the elements is anyone's guess.

------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"

S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,096 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 10:06 AM

If I had been around during the chat, I would've asked why they've been leaving out the original UNREMIXED soundtracks off a lot of their DVDs- "Wicker Man" doesn't have the mono track; I'll be real pissed if "Can't Stop The Music" has a DTS-ES track but nothing resembling the 1980 Dolby Stereo mix!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 03:49 PM

Pieter,

No, I haven't read either novel. Interesting that Peter Hunt chose to work on back-to-back films based on novels by the same author, both starring Roger Moore, and none of it had much to do with Ian Fleming! Posted Image

Matt,

Hmmm, this looks like a job for a Studio & Manufacturer Feedback Forum plea, or maybe a petition for the full-length version of SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, although too many petitions dilute their effectiveness (if they have much of an effect at all). I was finally able to see GOLD for the first time a couple of years ago, when Encore Action was running it. Unfortunately, it was in pan & scam, but in this case, I guess half a movie was better than no movie, though I'd never buy it on DVD in that wretched condition.

Thanks also for reminding me that AMC will air SHOUT AT THE DEVIL letterboxed again on the 24th. I missed out on taping it last time it was in widescreen. I'm a bit surprised TCM hasn't run GOLD in widescreen, since its parent company,Warner, owns it now.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 04:19 PM

They indicated that they will not license their movies to another company ex: Anchor Bay, even if they have not any current plans to release the movie.
The Man who coined the phrase "Maniac: The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies"

My DVDs

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 05:31 PM

Peter, I think we should find try and do a petition for both SHOUT AT THE DEVIL (uncut) and GOLD. A one two punch. Both are great films and not available currently in any format (if you can find them on tape, you are very lucky).

I would just hate to see SHOUT released in the cut version. Posted Image I WILL, however, record in SVHS the AMC broadcast on the 24th.

------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users