Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best HDTV projector under $1400?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 11:54 AM

I have seen several HDTV projectors for under 1400 USD. What I am wondering is which ones are better then others? If I am unable to purchase my friends projector then I'm thinking about getting a projector style screen. Both of my roomates like to play video games so burn in is something that I will be thinking about. I would like to hook up a computer to the screen also. The thing is I'm not sure if I should be looking at an LCD type of set up. Are there any good size LCD screens that are reasonably priced? Do any of you know if the price on these will drop in the next year? (LCD?). If you had to name some of the top screens out there what are some of the best deals going on? Under $2,000? I'd like something with a large screen and in HD. Name some brands so that I can take a list to some stores to shop around.

Daniel Burke

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   SethOakley

SethOakley

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 05:25 AM

Daniel, take a look at the Sanyo PLV Z1. True 16:9 projecter, can be had for around $1000. It is really great, and with reference to games. XBOX looks amazing. DVD and HDTV look incredible also. Check that one out and I can give you the email address of the guy I ordered it from. He works for an authorized dealer.

Check out the reveiws posted throughout the web. A simple search for PLV Z1 will pull up tons of user reviews.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   DarrenAbes

DarrenAbes

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 05:37 AM

What about the Epson Powerlite Home 10? This was released in September, but very little information is around on it. ProjectorCentral has some user reviews which are positve, but no "official" review done as yet.
The Z1 is pretty highly touted here, how does bulb replacement compare to the Epson (cheap)?

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 06:09 AM

I found a Panasonic PT53WX53 53inch HDTV for $1427 and the MSRP is $1700. I like this one mainly because it is within my price range and is a LCD screen. Could give me a real world review of the Z1. Does it work very well in an environment where their is light? What type of screen do you need for the projector? How often will the bulb go out in it? Any idea on the price of the bulb? I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck. One grand for the projector seems like a good deal. I'm just not sure if it is the right type of system for me. I will be moving into a house pretty soon and I don’t know what they layout of the rooms are going to be. Keep me posted if you find anything of extraordinary value. I'll be looking for about a year or so before I buy.... unless I find something that I can not pass up.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 06:55 AM

Daniel,
Email me with more info and I can give you some thoughts...I own the Z1..

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 07:08 AM

The Panasonic PT53WX53 doesn't appear to be a LCD based rear projection unit.

I will second the vote for the Sanyo Z1/ Boxlight 1HD.

It's the best projector in your price range.

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   DarrenAbes

DarrenAbes

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 10:39 AM

The PJcentral user reviews have one message with pretty negative service from Sanyo, which is scary. I am in the same position as you Daniel, same price range.

Nobody has info on the Epson Home 10? Epson apparently has two year overnight replacement with their warranty, and the specs seem pretty solid.....

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Rik P

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 11:06 PM

Darren, this review may help

Epson Home 10 vs. Sanyo PLV-Z1

Rick

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 03:02 AM

By "HDTV projector", do you mean 1080i/720p? That's what it implies.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   DarrenAbes

DarrenAbes

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the link. That review seems positive....

The Epson line seems relatively overlooked here, as a HT newbie, is there something I am missing?

Cheap bulbs and Super warranty service would be important to me, just wondering.

Thanks in Advance.

D

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 04:47 AM

I'd get the Studio Experience 1HD as it offers better service and warrenty then its twin the Z1 and actually costs less up here then the Z1. The epson should be good too but the Z1/1HD's are a proven winner and are very popular.

As for moving I'd much rather move a 5lb projector then a huge bulky RPTV (I've done that before and its not fun)

For screens there's lots to choose from but in general you want a grey or silver screen for these LCD basic projectors. The best I've seen is the Stewart Firehawk but its quite pricey. The Stewart Greyhawk isn't quite as pricey and looks ok but IMO if you can't afford the firehawk I'd buy a Dalite HCCV screen (High Contrast Cinema Vision). You can also easily make your own screen if you are the least bit handy. I built my own to go with my 1HD and when viewing my screen vs the screen samples I have the only one I like better is the firehawk

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 06:55 AM

Andrew,
I agree though I did get my Z1 for the same price as the 1hd.
Gray screens work better with LCD FP's ....

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Sacha_C

Sacha_C

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 02:06 PM

Also look at the X1, it is $999 and has better contrast ratio and black levels than any other projector/TV in this price range.

And just to let you know, you wont find an HDTV projector for $1,400, they start at $13,000, cheaper ones can accept an HDTV signal but reduce the resolution to the projector's resolution.

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   DarrenAbes

DarrenAbes

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 04:01 AM

Sacha, correct me if I am wrong, but the X1 is native 4:3. I am not fully versed in aspect ratios, but my understanding is if preferred viewing (as is mine, as is the future) is 16:9, you should get a 16:9 native pj, or am I mistaken.

The X1 does get great press, but I also am concerned with the long throw lens. I haven't demo'd one, so I don't know if rainbows would pee me off either.

Thanks again

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Sacha_C

Sacha_C

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 04:18 AM

Many people are getting the X1 for 16:9 even though it is native 4:3 because of it's superior contrast and blacks.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 09:04 AM

You lose alot of brightness on the X1 when you take it out of presentation mode and even more when you put it in 16x9 mode. It's also a fairly long-throw projector so keep that in mind. I would give some good consideration to either the Panasonic L200U and L300U. If you don't plan on viewing HDTV the L200U does a great job for DVD and Games. The L300U does a better job w/ HDTV since it uses 1/4HD LCD panels which makes the scaling of higher resolutions much simpler and look better. It aslo has an anti-aliasing technology that helps reduce screen-door effect. The biggest upgrade of the L300U over the L200U is the DVI port allowing for the highest quality DVD picture since the internal scalers aren't superb. The L300U/Bravo D1 combo i'm running is excellent.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Twisten

Twisten

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 11:39 AM

As for "HDTV" projectors starting at $13 grand, that's not right. If you're trying to say 1080i/p perhaps, but you can get 720p projectors starting at around $2K with the PLV-Z2.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Sacha_C

Sacha_C

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 11:41 AM

Also check the Sharp PG-A10X, it's 1024x768 1300 lumens. I think ill be getting that since everyone is sold out of X1s

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 07:39 AM

What about DELL projectors.

The 3200MP looks very impressive. for only 1500.00 Or can I get better for cheaper.

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Dean Martin

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted December 08 2004 - 06:02 AM

I have an X1 and while DVD's and HD related content look awesome I am disapointed with it as a game display.
Images do not look as good on it as a monitor or TV display because it seems a tad dim. I have tried using presentation mode and using all of the various adjustments suggested in threads of other X1 owners.
Some games are so dark they are difficult to play. cranking up contrast and brightness results in white refective and bright areas being too white and dark areas not being black enough.
I should also mention I am using a model B Dalite screen.
On a final note I have found that playing on a larger screen also makes me feel a bit queasy so on all levels it just hasn't worked for me. I love the X1 for movied and HD sat channels though.
I haven't tried every projector in the X1 price range but I can't imagine any of them being that much better for games as a montor with an actual 'back light'. TV's are so much brighter in general and I think this lends itself to putting out a better image for games.