What's new

Travesty on Alias Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Well this morning I sat down to watch Alias seson 2. To my suprise disc one had forced trailers. So I happily watched the trailer for POC:COTBP and the horse movie with Arogwyn which looks like the kick-ass movie of next summer and then without warning was a commercial for Alias that revealed to my stunned horror EVERY PLOT TWIST OF SEASON 2 IN 10 SECONDS. Plese everyone us all your might to go right to the menu if you are watching this box set blind. I cannot belive Disney would be stupid enough to throw this on disc one and make it a forced feature. I am so pissed, the epsidoes have lost so much of their punch.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing-

The trailer for Hidalgo is BAD-ASS. watch that once your done with the set.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Holy crap....I'm not one to gripe about forced trailers, but this is the exception. Kind of a buzzkiller if you're popping it in for the first time.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I swear, some people have to be so stupid. It's just as bad as motion menu's that give stuff away. What if you're buying it blind!?

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
That is unbelievable, an absolute disgrace. These studios are treating us all like absolute idiots giving things away in trailers in the cinemas, and now on DVDs!

I thought Australian TV was bad enough, showing trailers for the next week's episodes showing exactly what will happen (e.g. "Next week, someone WILL DIE!")

What is wrong with these people? Don't they realise WE ARE GOING TO WATCH IT ANYWAY! Too many stuck-up marketing people trying too hard to justify their existance.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
How "forced" are the forced trailers?

Can you use the "Menu" or "Skip" buttons (as with past Disney animation DVDs, for example) or is only "FF" active, such as with Universal's Hulk DVD?

This is a pain, since I will not watch every episode of Disc 1 in one sitting, usually just one at a time.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Ever read the back of the box to "The Matrix" DVD? It states right there in plain english exactly what the Matrix is. This was one of the big surprises of watching the movie. If you're one of the few who had never seen it I think you'd be rightfully pissed.

- Cryo

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
How "forced" are the forced trailers?
If they're the same as on other Disney DVDs, they're not "forced". That term gets thrown around way too easily. "Forced" is something you CANNOT skip and get stuck with no matter what. Unless they changed it back for Alias, you can EASILY skip the ads at the start of all Disney DVDs since the early days of their DVD-opening trailers.

That was almost four years ago. Disney learned their lesson, and one can easily avoid these ads if desired. They're NOT forced!

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Good Lord, I thought you may have been exaggerating. Then I saw the trailer itself. GOOD SWEET CHRIST!! They gave away everything. If I hadn't already seen Season 2, I would have gone absolutely bugfuck berserk.

This is really, really unforgivable.

If you are new to the series, HIT THAT MENU BUTTON IMMEDIATELY.

Joe Acevedo

Agent
You can skip them, so they are not "forced." It is still not an excuse. I didn't realize what I was watching at first. I thought it was an ad for the season one set. I thought there was no way they would put a summary of the season you are about to watch before the first episode. Before I figured out what I was watching, I knew all the major events of the season. This is a show that depends on trying to figure out plot twists and unexpected outcomes. It has taken a lot of the fun out of this season. :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'll discuss with Gord about spreading the word on this. I think this qualifies as something we should report, but I need him to agree.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm an Alias virgin myself, and I need to avoid that crap!!! :eek:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lucky for me I hate trailers ,so I never watch'em,soon as they come on I hit the menu button,or skip or FF buttons.
I haven't seen Alias 2 yet,so naturally when Hidalgo's trailer came up I hit the menu button as I always do,so the show hasn't spoiled for me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's amazing. I don't know what's going on sometimes. A favorite film of mine, State of Grace came out earlier this year on DVD and there is a major spoiler printed right on the back cover.

This reminds me of how Terminator 2 was marketed. They were very vocal aboutArnold being a good guy in that one
but if you look at how the films is done, you aren't intended to know that at first.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
The funny thing is for the first 2 seconds you really belive it's an ad for season one and then in 5 seconds they somehow GIVE away every plot point. You sit there stunned for like 5 seconds. I can't belive how much info and how many key scene they give away in such a short span. And yeah I owuld've skipped them but Hidalgo's trailer was so cool I wanted to see the rest. Damn you Hidalgo!

Brent_H

Second Unit
Is this the same preview they used on the last disc of the S1 release? I watched that to whet my appetite for S2 after the S1 cliffhanger....and as soon as I realized what was happening I hit STOP ASAP. Argh. Yes, I thought it would ruin S2 for me, but I mostly forgot what it all revealed by now anyways....lol. Still....disappointing.

John Simon

Second Unit
You know, this reminds me of a similar preview on the season sets of Friends. While it is listed as a special feature and does not play automatically like the Alias one does, it claims to be a preview of the next season. In fact, it shows how the season finale's cliffhanger is resolved, shows what happens in the funniest episodes of the season, and then even shows what happens in the next season's finale!

Alias is certainly worse since they're not even asking if you want to see it, but I still can't understand how stupid these DVD producers are. If you're going to stick a trailer on the disc, why not put some suspense in it instead of revealing EVERYTHING? This is an increasingly upsetting pattern, and I really hope some of the DVD sites start to publicize it.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I think they just figure we've seen the show on TV anyway when it originally aired. What they need to get into their thick skulls is that many people discover television shows on DVD for the first time!!

And yes, you can count me among the people who haven't seen Season 2 yet and got at least partially spoiled by the season 3 trailer. When I realized what I was seeing I immediatly tried to block it out, struggling for the remote which of course you never find when you really need it), so in the end I just stuck my fingers in my ears and shouted "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR IT" until it was over. :)

Chris

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Wow - thanks for the heads up. I've been watching the show on DVD for the first time and haven't picked up season 2's DVDs yet. I'm definitely going to avoid that trailer. I wish I knew what the people putting these DVDs out are thinking when they spoil everything about an upcoming season, episode, movie, whatever.

I find more and more movie trailers spoiling big plot points about the end of the films, too.

Users who are viewing this thread