Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Discussion on XM vs. SIRIUS article

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#81 of 97 David-S

David-S

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 08:23 AM

There's an article on Siriusbackstage that Joe Clayton said there will be programming changes in January, and they will likely be targeting the "boomer" audience...Posted Image

err, baby-boomer that is...

#82 of 97 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,690 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted December 17 2003 - 10:06 AM

The only formats I know of that XM has exclusives on are the 90's, Family Comedy, and Cinemagic, so I'm guessing it's one of those. Or all three. If I had to guess, I would say at least two of those will be added.

#83 of 97 Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 12:29 PM

thanks ron!
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#84 of 97 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 02:27 AM

Quote:
The only formats I know of that XM has exclusives on are the 90's, Family Comedy, and Cinemagic

They also have XM Music Lab, Fine Tuning and Special X, which Sirius has no equivilent...

Jason

#85 of 97 Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
I would bet that anyone that puts XM or SIRIUS in their car is going to put little use into their CD player.

You said it! I just got a Pioneer CD player/XM receiver in my truck last week and absolutely love XM. I'm a huge REM fan and just bought their Greatest Hits CD, but can't tear myself away from XM long enough to listen to it.

I have nothing but good things to say, especially living a Kentucky city with very few radio stations not playing country (some stereotypes are true).Posted Image I spend most of my time on Ethel, Top Tracks, XM Cafe, 80s, 90s, and XCountry (John Mellencamp-type stuff).

I have no opinions about Sirius as I have never tried it, but the commercials on XM seem few and far between and the reception/sound are both outstanding. My wife scoffed at satellite radio at first, but she has decided to get a receiver for her birthday next month!

Quote:
How's the rock stations compare on either station? I like pansy rock (my favorite band is Collective Soul), stuff like Alice in Chains, Live, Godsmack and Disturbed are good too. Not into hip-hop styled rock, but I can tolerate it. I would enjoy a good 90's rock station, or a modern rock station, or in fact, any rock station that plays something besides the incredibly repetitive top40 rock of ClearChannel.

Ethel on XM is exactly what you're describing and is my favorite channel by far. Alice in Chains, Live, REM, Collective Soul, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beck and similar bands dominate this channel. It's exactly what I've been looking for and sounds like it would fit your style, too.

#86 of 97 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 09:20 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the info.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#87 of 97 ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 10:32 AM

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is regardless of which service we provide if one fails the other may not survive either.

If Sirius fails I would be willing to bet XM would fill more of the programming time with commercials.

If XM failed Sirius would in turn introduce commercials to the point of a little better than FM.

If both are healthy XM will be very proactive in minimizing commercials while Sirius focuses on improving content which some say is lagging of XM, do not know never experienced XM.

This technology is still very young and the concept of paying for radio is a little un-welcomed in many peoples mind.

The concept of no commercials is what put Sirius in my truck. My CD player is used rarely, AM is used more since Sirius moved in.

Satellite radio great concept, no commercials even better. Either way if both are around we as end users will be better off. If not it might turn into what cable TV has evolved into.

Enjoy

#88 of 97 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,690 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted December 18 2003 - 02:05 PM

I know the programming is going to get better. They will introduce two or three new channels at CES, so keep a heads up. I also just remembered that XM has a Christian Rock channel, Sirius does not.

#89 of 97 ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 05:33 AM

Check out Channel 10 on Sirius I believe its name is Spirit.

If it not Christain rock then I am not sure what it is, Not being of that belief it surely seems as if the word Jesus or Lord is in every song.

They do have some good songs on there.

#90 of 97 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,605 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Satellite radio great concept, no commercials even better. Either way if both are around we as end users will be better off. If not it might turn into what cable TV has evolved into.

Scott,

Very well stated.

It's very important that BOTH services survive.
Competition is good for us, and it keeps both
services in "check."

Ultimately, it will not be long before car radios
and home units will be capable of playing both
services. It is my understanding that was the
initial agreement that was made and already it
is rumored that PIONEER will offer the first dual
service capable deck next year.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#91 of 97 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 07:20 AM

Scott,

I think he was talking about the fact that XM has a Christian Pop (Fish) and a Christian Rock (Torch) station, while Sirius just has Spirit (Which I assume is more toward the "pop" end of the spectrum...)

Jason

#92 of 97 David-S

David-S

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
It is my understanding that was the initial agreement that was made and already it is rumored that PIONEER

In the bandwidth agreement, the FCC mandated that "eventually" there would be radios that would work with both services, but gave no timeline for when, or how this would happen....

#93 of 97 ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 10:41 AM

Jason,

I would not be able to tell the difference between Christain pop from Christain rock, sorry.

To be honest I am suprised and at the same time happy to hear there is such a variety. After all music is really about story telling and delivering messages.

Scott

#94 of 97 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,690 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted December 21 2003 - 12:58 PM

Can you tell the difference between regular "Pop" and regular "Rock"? It's the same with Christian Pop and Rock.

There is also Christian Hard Rock, Christian Metal, Christian Punk Rock, Christian Rap, Christian Ska, and so on.

#95 of 97 Dick W

Dick W

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 10:24 AM

Great article. I'm surprised there is not more on the comparison of these two services. Like you, I currently have both (I was an Xm customer and recently got a new Kenwood auto radio with a free Sirius tuner). So far, I like the commercial free service but I, too have reservations. As a Classical fan, I've been frustrated that their Classical streams display the name of the composition and usually, the artist; but not the composer. This is a deal killer for a Classical fan if they don't get it fixed.

As for the pricing premium, I just read that Xm is converting their streams to non-commercial. It will be hard to justify the extra cost, all else being equal. Sirius is coming up with some new channels and some pretty sophisticated data services on Jan 19th. Not much for the Classical fan, but some of the issues you addresses are apparently being taken care of. Sirius is fully digital feed, whereas Xm uses several repurposed FM station channels, which probably accounts for some of the quality differences, although I doubt it makes much difference in a car environment. If you have a broadband Internet connection, Sirius let's you listen on your computer (maybe Xm does as well, I don't know). I think the free tuner promo has ramped their numbers to the point where Xm has responded. I have noticed some dropouts as you did. I think their coverage might not be as robust as Xm, but the quality on my Kenwood X569 is great. As for the talk channels, I notice that they are sharing the Conservative channel with occasional Sports events. Might point up their political bias. They also have a channel for Catholics and one for Gays/Lesbians, but not much morally in between. Like you, I've noticed that their programming is a bit weird and I don't know why they need all the promos when I am already a customer. I guess they like to use their new studios. Frankly, I'd be satisfied with NO TALK on the music channels and no music on the talk channels. They tell me they are out of the woods financially after their year end promo blitz and they seem to have levelled the playing field on hardware and OEM auto selection. I'm sure it will be interesting now that Xm is apparenly offering the same non-commercial venues at no increase in price. Ain't competition fun?

#96 of 97 David-S

David-S

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 01:00 PM

Quote:
Great article. I'm surprised there is not more on the comparison of these two services. Like you, I currently have both (I was an Xm customer and recently got a new Kenwood auto radio with a free Sirius tuner). So far, I like the commercial free service but I, too have reservations. As a Classical fan, I've been frustrated that their Classical streams display the name of the composition and usually, the artist; but not the composer. This is a deal killer for a Classical fan if they don't get it fixed.

Most of the new radios, as well as the Panasonic unit (first gen ones) do thisPosted Image

#97 of 97 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,060 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 12 2004 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry that I even bothered going over to Sirius.
Ron at the end of your review, it seemed that really didn't care for Sirius. In your posts since, you seem to have come to prefer it to XM (at one point you were getting rid of an XM receiver and keeping the Sirius unit). What led to your change of opinion?

I've got a new Honda with a built-in XM receiver and a three month preview. I like it so far, but I'm not convinced it's worth $10/mo.

Quote:
One of my other complaints about XM is the seemingly lack of DJs on their stations.
That's one thing I really like! It's a great improvement to not have music interrupted by nattering nabobs and vulger DJs pandering to junior-high boys (like the DJs I hear on the local commercial stations).

Back to Mobile Phones / Entertainment

Forum Nav Content I Follow