What's new

Any word on a HARD TARGET dir cut from Anchor Bay? (1 Viewer)

Rollo Lee

Agent
Any word of a Hard Target director's cut from Anchor Bay or anyone else? I think time has been kinder to this film than a lot of other action flicks. I went from hating it originally to now rather liking it. "I come back, I cut me a steak." Who doesn't love that? :)
Anyway, I happened to see John Woo's workprint version via bootleg tape and it was great! Expanded on the film in all the right ways (though the crowd-pleasing "oops" bit is gone IIRC). I would love to see a cleaned up anamorphic version of it with commentaries by Woo, Arnold Vosloo and Lance Henriksen (separate director & actors tracks though. Unless they're really good friends, there's too much butt-kissing when you put them in the same room).
Anyone else want to see this?
------------------
Ricky: "Hey, Mrs. Rumsfield! No tan lines this morning. Looks nice."
Mr. Rumsfield: "That kid next door is a meatball."

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have a VHS copy of the Japanese LD, which has the entire finale uncut, the way Woo wanted and it is uber awesome. Just fantastic action. Makes a huge difference. I wish the Japanese DVD was anamorphic. I'd buy it.
I don't really like the extra stuff in the workprint (it wasn't Woo's final cut) but I do wish they had kept in the stuff with Lance Henrickson playing the piano while scenes of game hunting were shown. just brilliant editing and great foreshadowing. Stupid Universal didn't get the scene.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Is the region 3 DVD available with all of the excised footage added back in? I'd love to have this movie with all of the extra footage (which I've never seen, but heard it makes a big difference as previously mentioned).
All this plus a dts track on par with the laserdisc would be fantastic!
------------------
flag.jpg

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I recently picked up the R4 version, which adds 4-5 minutes of material. Its not anamorphic, though - unlike the R1.
The extra footage does make a big difference, though, even if this isn't the full director's cut. Read about the additions here....
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Censors...ail.asp?ID=879
Its only about $16 from ezyDVD in Australia.
Bleddyn

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
For a moment there I thought you were talking about that Van Damme movie...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Matt - if your "PAL?" comment was aimed at me, then the answer is yes, the R4 Australia version is PAL.
But that's not an issue for all us new Malata owners!
Bleddyn
PS - A big thanks to you for turning me onto the Malata in the first place, Matt!
wink.gif

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I can't deal with PAL on an English language movie. I just hear the speedup too easily and it drives me crazy. I have yet to be bothered with it while watching foreign language films though.
I am still hoping for an anamorphic Japanese DVD, so that I can view the finale uncut, in glorious 16x9. AND in DTS, since the film was one of the first DTS reelass.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I own the bootleg cut of this fim and all i can say is awesome! Woo at the top of his game and so is Van Damme. Why would Anchor Bay release this and not Universal? Also, what is the CHANCE(bad joke) that this will be released?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Matt, I don't own the Malata DVD player, but from what I understand the PAL speed up on that player is not noticeable.
I know what you mean, though. That difference with the PAL discs does grate on me (I own the Apex DVD player).
------------------
flag.jpg

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Well that bites the big one! I'm with you, I wish the hell I could watch the R2 DVDs without the speed-up. I suppose I'll just have to move to England.
biggrin.gif

------------------
flag.jpg

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
PAL framerate formatting results in a speed-up no matter where you live.
Ah, I did not know that! Damin, I assumed that if one lives in a country where the PAL format is used, that wouldn't be an issue. I also thought that speed-up was only noticeable when watching a PAL DVD on an NTSC set up.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks