What's new

Phase Technology PC 8.5 (1 Viewer)

Dan D Burke

Agent
I have a chance to buy a pair of Phase Technology PC 8.5's. The only drawback is I won't be able to listen to them as they are several states away.

Has anyone heard these before. How do they compare to other speakers.

Thanks,
Dan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves me right, these are analogous to the infamous white van speakers. If so, stay away.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So much for memory! I was thinking of Linear Phase, Acoustic Phase, etc. and you're quite correct that it's a reputable brand that's been reviewed which I take it you've seen.

JamesCB

Second Unit
If memory serves me right, these are analogous to the infamous white van speakers. If so, stay away.
Sorry Chu, you were way wrong.

As the proud owner of Phase Technology speakers I can say you will not be dissapointed. They (especially the PC series)have an uncanny natural sound. Very musical, smooth sounding. The first thing people usually notice about the Phase Tech sound is the instruments are seperated, in their own space (not quite sure how to explain it). Each sound in music is seperate from the others. If there is bass, it will not color the midrange, something like that. Phase Tech probably has the smoothest tweeters in the business. Absolutely no harshness or uppper emphasis. Very listener freindly, no fatigue.

Phase Technology is the name brand of United Speaker Systems. They have been producing drivers for over 40 years for names like JBL, Electrovoice, and Altec-Lansing. They hold the patent on the dome tweeter and several other revolutionary inventions.

Here is a review from their website (Phase Technology) PC 8.5 Review

Jin E

Second Unit
I auditioned a pair of the Theatro floorstanding speakers. They were exceptional speakers. Like James said, they are wonderfully smooth and IMHO very musical and very easy to listen too. Very high quality speaker. If I had to try to find fault with the speaker it would be a slight lack in detail compared to other speakers I've listened too. Personally I'd gladly trade in a *slight* lack of detail for a warm, smooth speaker you could listen to all day. I would not hesitate to recommend the Phase techs I listened too.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Actually, that "slight lack of detail" is what some people say about Phase Tech's when they first hear them. BUT, this is totally opposite of what they are giving you. Maybe not as much in the Teatro line (haven't heard the new Velocity Series yet, similar to the Teatro's), but the PC series have an incredible amount of detail, across the entire frequency range. When I first had my PC 9.1's, it was like I had a whole new CD collection. There have been many times when I'd have to listen to a song again because I heard something I never noticed before. An instrument or sound I had previously not known was there. Some of this in music I've been listening to for 20 years. It was after that I realized I was now listening to the music and not the speakers. Some will say they are too "laid back" for their tastes, but that is what makes them so easy to listen to. I would call them "neutral".

Another little note about Phase Technology: they produce all their drivers, crossovers, and cabinets in house, few manufacturers can claim this. Their quality control is meticulous. Build quality is absolutely amazing. Rapping knucles on the side of my 9.1's is like knocking on concrete.

Jin E

Second Unit
When I was auditioning the Teatros was the first time I noticed a particular sound on one my Diana Krall CD's... sounds like she was depressing the pedal on the piano. It was quite distracting! ;)

Dan D Burke

Agent
Thanks! The deal is done. Hopefully I will have them by next weekend. From the pictures I was sent the look to be in excellent condition. Can't wait to hear Keb 'Mo's fingers picking the guitar strings;)

I got them for $400 with the option to return the speakers if I don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks