-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" w/ tons of screenshots! HR!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Year: 2003

Rated: PG-13

Directed by: Stephen Norrington

Film Length: 108 Minutes

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital Encoded
Subtitled in English and Spanish

Bonus features:
-Commentary by producers Don Murphy and Trevor Albert and actors Shane West, Jason Flemyng, and Tony Curran
-Commentary by costume designer Jacqueline West, make-up effects supervisor Steve Johnson, visual effects supervisor John E. Sullivan, and miniatures creators Matthew Gratzner
-"Assembling the League": a six-part behind-the-scenes documentary
-12 deleted and extended scenes
[/b]
Release Date: December 16th 2003

The Movie...

[/b]

What a bummer LXG was! Talk about a movie that had such potential, and such great tools to work with, and instead of building a mansion, they built a back-woods outhouse! I wasn’t aware that you could cast Sean Connery, who is possibly the best actor ever in my opinion, and still make a bad film. Ok, ok, it wasn’t THAT bad…. but it wasn’t really good either. Too add to that, I was FLOORED how rotten the special effects were on this movie! I swear I felt like I was watching a movie made 15 years ago. They were really, really bad! I could have almost dealt with everything else, but the crappy special effects are what really did me in, and made me sit back and shake my head. Now, having said all that, I am almost going to be making a complete contradiction as to the LXG DVD. I know that a lot of you are planning on passing up this DVD because the movie stinks…but please read on, I may have you changing your mind after reading this review. Posted Image

But then again… maybe not!

Here is the synopsis from FOX:
A hunter, a scientist, a vampire, an invisible man, an immortal, a spy and a beast… when a masked madman known as “The Fantom” threatens to launch global Armageddon, legendary adventurer Allan Quartermain commands a legion of superheroes, the likes of which mankind has never seen. Now, despite fighting their own personal demons – and each other- the must join forces to save the world.

Picture...

[/b]

Picture quality for this DVD was actually very good. I was impressed. The picture was presented in 2:35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen.

The DVD picture quality really only lacks in one area, and I will get to that in a sec. The picture for LXG was very nice. The colors were bold and saturated, and stood out when they needed to. I didn’t notice any color bleeding. Skin tones were really very good, if not perfect. They were not too warm and not to cool, they were just right.

Detail was very good throughout the movie, and I think I captured that for you on a few of the screen shots. There were a few scenes that did look a bit washed out, but they were the exception. The scenes that didn’t look so hot, I thought, were the outdoor scenes. They were not quite as sharp and detailed as the rest. Also, anytime there was a daylight sky background, you could see the flecks of film dirt and dust. There were a couple of big flecks in one scene, one of which I captured for you on a screen shot

The worst part of the picture quality was the lack of really dark black levels. You can see in most of the screen shots, that the detail is there, but the blacks are not rock solid. A lot of scenes would have looked much better with darker black levels. I must say, that the black levels did look better on my Sony 40” however, than they do in the screen shots. Usually the screen shots equal what I see on my TV, but not in this case. Background video noise was kept to an acceptable minimum, and I didn’t really notice any pixilation, or gradience issues either.

Overall, a very decent transfer!

SEE FOR YOURSELF!: (click on the picture for a bigger version of the screen-shot)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More screen shots from "LXG" here!

Picture Quality Rating:
Picture: 4 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sound...

[/b]

The DVD is mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1

Holy moly! This DVD is IMPRESSIVE in the sound dept! The bass NEVER seems to stop! From the very opening sequence, you are pummeled and pounded with bass! It’s just so great, I can't stop smiling! It’s crazy, even small stuff, like a door closing on screen, it SLAMS with authority. The LFE is just pumped up all over the place on this DVD. All of the major scenes are very impressive, in both the colossal bass and the very active surround sounds, but there was one scene that ruled all in low end extension and sits high atop the LFE mountain with LOTR and the “crane” scene in T3. More about that in a sec…

The sound from beginning to end was great. The soundtrack was very clear, bold and separated perfectly between the left and right channels. The soundtrack was even strong in the rear speakers in certain scenes, and it just sounded awesome! I never felt that the soundtrack overpowered the scene, however. Onscreen dialog was anchored perfectly in the center channel. Dialog was bold, and clear, and never sounded tinny or harsh. In fact, certain scenes had some BIG center channel sound. The scene where they chase Jekyll on the rooftops, will really test your center channel speaker. I hope you have a good one, otherwise you might stress it a bit.

Surround sound was outstanding throughout the entire flick. It was always active and always bold, and you heard every bullet whizzing and pinging in the background. Also, thunder was done very, very well. They mixed it perfect! Actually, a couple of times during fight scenes, I jumped in my chair because the sound in the rear made me think someone was behind me. It was great!

Ok now for LFE. LXG, is definitely among my top four bass heavy DVD’s now. It joins the ranks with the two LOTR DVDs, and with T3. The bass is large and in charge! The first thunderous bass happens at 00:19:42 when that white car drives off and around the corner. BIG TIME BASS! I must add, the rear channel effects, when the car is idling in the background are really cool!

The next BIG BASS comes at the first gun fight scene at 00:25:55. Here you get very FULL surround sound and deep LFE throughout. The rear is very active in this sequence.

At 00:32:30, where we first see Nautilus rising out of the water, look out! THUNDEROUS LFE! Right after that is the Jekyll chase scene, which is very bass and surround heavy, and surprisingly, very CENTER channel bass heavy!

Also, the scene where they have Jekyll chained up soon after, is just ridiculous with deep, deep LFE, Couple of time I almost turned it down, I am sure I was pissing off the neighbors!

There is another thunderous LFE scene with the Nautilus, at the 00:52:50 mark.

The grand champion of LFE for the movie comes at 01:00:40 when a “rocket” explodes. OMG, we are talking ridiculous, crazy, rattle the fillings out of your head, bass! This scene equals the best LOTR or T3 scene as far as pure, deep LFE output! Very intense!

Two more super heavy bass scenes are at the 01:26:30 mark, (fights) and at 01:33:38 (fight between Jekyll and “thing)

Then, at 01:37:16 come an LFE barrage that will rock your world. Here are my exact notes I wrote down word for word when watching. “01:37:16 Final explosions. JUST SICK! Beats LOTR for constant LFE. Deep and HUGE LFE throughout”

And there you go folks, this DVD is worth the price just for the bass barrage on your senses…. And your house! Of course, that is just my opinion! Hopefully the bass comes across for you like it did for me…. But, I know only a few of you have the SVS B4 Plus sub, and I am hoping you don’t have to own one to get the same experience I did!

Sound Quality Rating:
Sound: 5 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Extras...

[/b]

Here are the extras listed for “League of Extraordinary Gentleman”

-Commentary by producers Don Murphy and Trevor Albert and actors Shane West, Jason Flemyng, and Tony Curran
-Commentary by costume designer Jacqueline West, make-up effects supervisor Steve Johnson, visual effects supervisor John E. Sullivan, and miniatures creators Matthew Gratzner
-"Assembling the League": a six-part behind-the-scenes documentary
-12 deleted and extended scenes

Menus...

[/b]

CHECK OUT THE NAVIGATION :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More menu shots from "LXG" here!

Extras / Bonus Features Rating
Extras: 2 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image

Conclusion...

“The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” may be a very disappointing movie, however, the DVD more than makes up, as it is now one of my new demo disks! The sound is absolutely incredible! It gives LOTR a major run for its money in the LFE dept. Simply awesome! I guess FOX had to redeem this movie somehow, and to me, they did with the sound mix!. Even if you think this was the worst movie of all time, those of you with a system that can show it off, owe it to yourself to have this DVD in your collection.

I am giving “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” the RECOMMENDED stamp of approval based purely on the sound mix for the DVD. If you don’t believe me, rent it first!

This has been,
[/b] Posted Image

#2 of 67 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 08:00 AM

This review isn't quite finished. I will have the extras review done by tomorrow, but I am excited to get people talking about this DVD and see what peoples thoughts are. This is why I posted a tad early. PLus, DVD Talk didnt have it up yet. At least I coulnd'nt find it anyway.

Unless..... do you guys even want me to review the extras? There are only a few, and considering not many people like this movie, do you guys care?

Lemme know, as I plan to get a tad more in depth with them and complete the review.

EDIT: DOH! I misspelled the title! Gotta have Ron fix that! Soooory aboooot that, eh!

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   Shane Burton

Shane Burton

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 12:18 PM

I know the critics panned the hell out of this movie.
I really loved it. This is a popcorn movie....I thought
it was a lot of fun.

Can't wait to get the DVD.

Shane

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 12:21 PM

I was very disappointed in this movie, such great possibilities, such lousy execution. I really wanted to like it, but just couldn't. I'll leave this on the shelf.
Nice review though...Posted Image

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 12:36 PM

Hey Adam as usual a very good review, but sorry Bro, you can't sell me on this stinker, even if it came out in a 4 disc set with a Mina Harker statue.

I saw this bomb in the theaters and I still can't decide whehter LXG or Bad Boys II is the worst film of the year so far. Actually I would have to go with LXG, because I knew what to expect from Bad BoysII and plus I didn't pay any money to see Bad Boys II.

Honestly this is the first time I saw a film in which Connery actually sucked. Hell, Captain Nemo was the baddest cat in the whole league he could of took care of the villains by his self, everyone else was just dead weight, especially Connery and Shane West(Tom Sawyer)

I mean check it out, Nemo had a fully armored and armed submarine, a Batmobile(or Nemobile), an army at his command, he is highly intelligent, and skilled in martial arts. And to top it off, the brother was well over fifty years old and in better shape than punk a$$ Tom Sawyer.

The only way I'll watch a sequel to LXG is if it's the Extraordinary Adventures of Captain Nemo. 20th Century Fox took Alan Moore's graphic novel and wiped their butts with it.

#6 of 67 OFFLINE   johnbr

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 12:37 PM

Boy are you are right some are dark.Very big bummer on no dts. Posted Image

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 02 2003 - 02:47 PM

I didn't think this was as bad as everyone claimed and actually had a decent time viewing it. Plus, there's a coupon for $3 off in X2 (by mail when you buy X2 and League), so I'll probably pick it up.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 03:40 AM

Nice review. I missed this in theaters due to the poor reviews. Guess I'll rent it. I am a big Connery fan though.

#9 of 67 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 03:40 AM

I think I read somewhere on DVDTalk that inside LXG is a $9 off coupon for Alien Quadrilogy. I don't know if this is fact or not but it would make a nice combo on the deal from DeepDiscount (if its a mail in type rebate) or if its an actual coupon it would go well with the $61.99 price at Costco.

Anybody know about this??

Greg

#10 of 67 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 03 2003 - 03:41 AM

if its an actual coupon it would go well with the $61.99 price at Costco.

Costco accepts no coupons except those they issue themselves.

BJ's Warehouse Club would accept it though. And their prices tend to be similar, or even lower, than Costco.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 04:07 AM

I also don't think that this film is nearly as horrible as people are making it out to be. No, it isn't a great film either, but it does at least entertain. It is at least worth a rental.

Jason

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 04:13 AM

Heck, I bought Battlefield Earth so I'll be buying this as well. Didn't see it theatrically so the $15 price tag for the DVD is not an issue.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#13 of 67 OFFLINE   David Glenn

David Glenn

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 05:12 PM

Yes, it could have been done better but I actually enjoyed this film and already have the dvd.

Poor JC, he passed on the Matrix, Lord of the Rings and thought he better get on board with LOEG (the next "big thing"). If he's getting help choosing his projects, he needs a new agent.
Xbox Gamertag: WetWork

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 455 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted December 03 2003 - 09:01 PM

Those of you who are surprised that a Connery movie can actually stink/suck must never have seen The Avengers, now have you Posted Image?
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#15 of 67 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 03 2003 - 09:41 PM

If the movie was really bad, why does it deserve a coveted Highly Recommended tag?

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 11:05 PM

I didn't give it the "Highly Recommended", I gave it "recommended". I did that because the disk is so loaded with bass, I feel that anyone with a big Home Theater System owes it to themselves to have it on hand for demo's. It is now one of my top 4 demo DVD's for LFE.

#17 of 67 OFFLINE   Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
This DVD has only a few, meager extras.

Hmmm....according to DVDFile's review there seems to be a ton of extras...over an hours worth, and "no fluff"?
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 07:30 AM

Im usually pretty forgiving of movies like this. However LXG is the worst movie I have seen in the theater for a long time. Its just bad, and thats coming from someone who didnt have a problem with the special effects. The lack of logic is something you would expect in a saturday morning cartoon. This movie had a great concept which turned into a horrible, to the point of insulting, script.

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 04 2003 - 08:24 AM

I was mislead by the HR in the thread title. I'm sorry for my mistake.

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 08:26 AM

For fear of making this the "list Sean Connery's movies that suck thread" lest we forget...

Highlander 2.

I rest my case.
Ivan Lindenfeld