Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Monster Cables or Acoustic Research?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   matt-f

matt-f

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:15 PM

Hi,

Just curious, who is better of the two? I do own both some of each and planning to get high-end cables.

BTW: What happend to the AR website? They seemed to have disspeared.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 12:46 AM

I prefer Monster...but its all really just a matter of choice IMO> Posted Image Posted Image
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 03:24 AM

I would also agree that AR and Monster would not be considered 'high end', however, for general HT usage I have had no problems with either.

I found the AR Pro line was less expensive with the same 'quality' as the Monster 1 and 2 lines.

I would consider rhino cables, better cables, blue jeans, etc etc or other custom cable makers to be more of the 'high end' names, but that is certainly subjective.

AR's parent company Recoton went bankrupt and was purchased by Audiovox (who got the Acoustic Research, Advent, Jensen Audio product lines) and Thomson (who owns the RCA / GE brands) who got the Accessories lines (Acoustic Research, Advent, Jensen, Discwasher, Ambico, Spikemaster and Recoton).

http://www.thomson.n.../c03/030604.htm
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   matt-f

matt-f

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 11:46 AM

Since I am in a a work accommodation program, I can get any Monster Cable product for 60% off retail.

How would the AR Master series compare to the monster?

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 11:55 AM

For 60% off you are likely not going to find a bad deal on the Monsters which will do you fine. If you were stuck paying full retail, then that's a different story. I've used Monster previously and haven't had a problem with one yet. They are a bit overpriced(an opinion) but they are still quite good cables.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor

• 615 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 01:13 PM

I agree with Shane. I have used (still do) Monster products in my HT and car.

They ARE overpriced (way) and when I do up my new HT early next year, I'll be ordering a complete set of new cables from Bluejeans.

Like Shane, I've had zero probs with the Monster cable products I've purchased.

BUT, being that you get 60% off retail, you can't go wrong.
Yeah, I base all my HT purchases on the WAF, too. Wallet Acceptance Factor.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   matt-f

matt-f

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I did look at the Monster site but I'm not too sure which model of the video/audio to get. If it can beat out my AR Master series cables(component and coax) I got, I'll go for those.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
If it can beat out my AR Master series cables(component and coax) I got, I'll go for those.
You will get some varied answers on this. Since its your money, its best if you have a return policy to try them out in your home and see if it worth it.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   matt-f

matt-f

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 06:29 PM

Hi Shane,

Unforunately with the accomodation agreement, all sales are final so the correct decision must be known ahead of time. I'll keep looking into it thou.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 11:20 PM

Well looking at Monster's site won't tell you anything because they don't say anything or provide any tangible information that you can base a decision on.
In terms of video quality there's no reason to suspect that the Monster cables, any of them, are going to provide a better picture than you're currently observing. You've got a very modest signal in terms of bandwidth coming out of your DVD player and it's a piece of cake to handle. Thus, if you're looking for a cable that's going to beat out my AR Master series cables(component and coax) I got, I'll go for those then you'll need to use different criteria for what constitutes best. For example, you might desire locking RCA connectors, greater cable flexibility, more shielding because you've got some sort of RFI problem, etc. No doubt, because of accomodation pricing, you or someone you know, works for a concern that sells Monster products. There's a lot of hype that you've been exposed to. Not much substance and certainly some rather 'interesting' demonstrations akin to the wizard of oz goes on. FWIW, Monster has a pretty significant advertising and marketing budget as well as some hefty profit margins both for itself and it's dealers. Hence, the prices you see are grossly inflated and in many ways it's like going into a supermarket and seeing watches with a suggested retail price of $149.99 being sold for $8.95. Even at the $8.95 price point, everyone is making money.
Apparently what you have works. If so keep it and direct your monies elsewhere. Otherwise define your criteria for what constitutes better and then search out those products that meet that criteria.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Shawn_MM

Shawn_MM

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 11:04 AM

Monster cables are overpriced and over rated. Oh but they have a very good marketing division. AR Master series are nice cables, wouldn't go lower then that (depends on your system). Also Phoenix Gold Platinum series is a mean cable, I have my system hooked up with them (component and digital).
thetwistergroup.com has some good deals on cables, or watch ebay.