What's new

Peter Pan (Disney) SE is coming in 2002!! (1 Viewer)

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
DVDFile just announced that Disney will release a Special Edition of Peter Pan on February 12. No specs have been announced yet but certainly can`t wait for this release.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Makes me happy that I never picked up the bare bones release
wink.gif
. I hope they port over the LD SE and add more to it. I guess we have Return to Neverland : Peter Pan 2 to thank for this release
wink.gif
. I'm undecided on PP2, but the trailer I saw online makes it look good. Cheers.
patriot.gif

------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
This is my wife's favorite Disney classic. I will be getting this for sure.
Excellent news.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was just over to DVD File and saw nothing about this whatever.

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
HOORAY!
I've been waiting a long time for this one! (of course, gotta go return that unopened "regular" edition now...)
However, I hate! the cover! Why can't they use the original 1953 poster for the cover? (check it out by clicking on "peter pan" image found at here: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1465599823
I can't wait to see what the features are! I'm sure some of it will be the really cool footage of Hans Conreid and (the guy who played Smee) and Tiger Lily in the rowboat at Skull Rock. I can't believe they completely inacted the scenes (in full costume none the less!) back then for the animators to work from!
[Edited last by Scott Rogers on September 21, 2001 at 01:58 PM]
[Edited last by Scott Rogers on September 21, 2001 at 02:06 PM]

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
So what's the deal with Disney DVD's now? I thought it was now either a Gold title or a Platinum title. Now there's Special Editions? Geez. I wish Disney would just get its act together.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
quote: So what's the deal with Disney DVD's now? I thought it was now either a Gold title or a Platinum title. Now there's Special Editions? Geez. I wish Disney would just get its act together.[/quote]
Um... revisiting a bare-bones title and releasing it as a Special Edition, perhaps with copious supplemental material, means Disney doesn't "got its act together"? Okay....
rolleyes.gif

- Matthew "Will take great DVDs over an arbitrary labelling system anyday" Millheiser
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit
[Edited last by Matthew_Millheiser on September 21, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
That horrible poster? Why would anyone want that in a collection The graphics on that poster is horrible. I much prefer many of Disney's New Glossy High Resolution Images to all those old posters. Some of them do look stupid, but most of them are just fine. The Peter Pan one is stupid though!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Yes! The scarriest movie I have ever seen is finally getting the treatment it deserves on DVD! Yes, I am talking about Disney's Peter Pan. See...
When I was really little, the first movie I ever saw in theaters was the early 80's re-release of Peter Pan. Well, I don't know if it was because of Captain Hook or the ticking crocodile (which is what my mom thinks it was) but I got so scared during this movie, that I screamed and cried until my parents had to take me out of the theater. True story. Me, the biggest horror film nut around, reduced to tears by an animated Disney classic. I can't wait to own it on DVD. :)
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the cover art for the SE could be much better. The poster image is not the solution either in my opinion. When comparing, the Limited Issue cover was far better. This new cover looks like it was rushed or that its better suited for the direct to video sequel.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Personally, I like the new cover. It's different -- EVERY video release of Peter Pan has shown Peter flying with the kids. I think it's refreshing.
I can't wait for this one, either. It was my favorite Disney movie as a kid. I remember once I sat through it three times straight through, on its 1974 release. (For some of our younger members, that was back in the days when you could stay and see a movie a second time for free -- as long as you didn't leave the theater, you could stay and watch it as many times as you wanted. Those were the days. Sigh.)
[Edited last by Brian W. on September 21, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Um... revisiting a bare-bones title and releasing it as a Special Edition, perhaps with copious supplemental material, means Disney doesn't "got its act together"? Okay....
Anyone and everyone can release a special edition. My point is Disney's ridiculous policies regarding the DVD titles.
There were the original DVDs that were labelled "Limited Issue" which were supposed to be taken off the market at a certain date. This to make people rush out and buy their "collector's item." Then, two years after the "end-of-life" day you can still buy them on the shelf of Blockbuster. (ie The Little Mermaid)
Then you have Disney's NEW thing where they are only releasing certain titles on a TEN year timetable? So, by the time The Lion King comes out on DVD, my daughter will be more interested in Star Wars, Episode III or something. The fake premise of making people wait in great anticipation to create demand is pretty dumb.
Just release the titles in the catalog andthen make all the SE's you want. Holding them back and playing games with labels and availability schedules just insults me as a consumer.
In defense of Disney, I have to say what they are doing with Snow White is fantastic. The whole notion of a Platinum Series is great, but why not keep The Little Mermaid and Lady and the Tramp as a regular title? Disney shenanigans.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
From the Onion:
HOLLYWOOD, CA— The Walt Disney Company referred to an obscure, unacclaimed 1944 film as a "classic" prior to its home-video release Tuesday, once again treating the word as tinsel which may be draped arbitrarily upon any random object. "No home-video library is complete without the timeless Disney classic Mairzy Doats," a TV commercial for the reissue said. "These four unforgettable animated vignettes, hosted by Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, are now available for a new generation to treasure—you know, much like previous generations have done." The 45-minute video joins such previous Disney "classics" as Melody Time, Fun & Fancy Free, Make Mine Music, and Tarzan.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I could not care less about the cover art, but I hope they do a new transfer and get the colors right. The transfer used for the most recent DVD and THX laserdisc was messed up. The previous laserdisc transfer was better in terms of color, but was noticeably softer with more source artifacts. Hopefully, they will hit both targets (detail and colors/densities) with the new DVD.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Real Name
Patrick Lyons
Does anyone know what footage was added to the special edition? The package states "Previously unseen footage"?

I looked through the DVD packaging and watched the making of documentary, but no talk about new restored footage.

Thanks,

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks