Toad Suck High.

Honest, This is a real place.
How do you suppose it got its name?

Got any others?

Bill

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch, Anglesey, Wales

"Where did you go to boarding school?" :)

Brad

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IIRC there's a place in Ethiopia called "God" (maybe spelled "Gott") -- some years ago there was a contest on a local radio station offering a prize of S$9,500 (it was 95.0 FM) to the first person to identify a mystery location in the world, with weekly clues being given out narrowing the field.

Personally I always found it curious that there are places called Paris, London and Moscow in the United States.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Come to the UK, we've thousands of these weird names. My personal favourite is 'Splott' which is a district of Cardiff (I've always wondered if the residents are called 'Splotties'). Or there's:

Wyre Piddle
Temple Cloud
Nempnet Thrubwell

and as I said, lots, lots more.

Personally I always found it curious that there are places called Paris, London and Moscow in the United States.
Something I find strange is the way Americans say 'Paris, France' as if the first place anyone will think of is the place in Texas.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Let's see... in Mississippi alone there's an Egypt, MS (in the northern portion of the state), Coldwater, Hot Coffee (interesting contrasts), Benoit, MS (every time I think of this town, I think of the wrestler Chris Benoit), and a Philadelphia, MS (as opposed to Philadelphia, PA, which I normally associate it with).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
In NJ, if you ride down I295 from say Trenton to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, you pass a lot of towns like Berlin and Florence. There is also a London, Ontario. I have some cousins who live there.

Jay

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There is a town in Pennsylvania called "Intercourse". And in New Mexico there is a town called "Truth Or Consequences".

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My favorite Okie names,

Slapout
Bugtussle

Others,

Cookietown
Fireworks City
Frogville
Happyland
Hooker
Horntown
I.X.L.
Kremlin
Medicine Park
Non
Nowhere
Okay
Pharaoh
Pumpkin Center
Seven Shooter
Slaughterville
Struggleville
Turkey Ford

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The U.K. has lots of great place names: Wyre Piddle, Pratt's Bottom, Humpswaite etc.

In Missouri there is a Peculia , so named after the founders decided their new town should have a "strange or peculiar name" and didn't want to live in a town called "Strange". There is also a "Humansville" in Missouri.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My personal fav's:

Fucking, Austria (Pronounced Fooking)

Hell, Michigan

Corpsegrove, New York (theres a pleasant name)

New York City, New York (There is no Old York City, or even a York City)

and Upper Upperton (somewhere in England I hear)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Half.com is in Oregon, i believe. used to be called Halfway, as it was the halfway point between two larger cities. half.com (the website) got them to change their name for a short time by paying every citizen (there's not that many).

funny that Toad Suck is the first place mentioned. my mom has done some geneology and found out that when my family moved "out west" from Georgia, they ended up in Toad Suck.:b
its name comes from when riverboats traveled the Arkansas river. the nearby towns (or county, i don't recall which) were dry and the riverboat crews would stop in the wet town and "suck on the bottle 'til they swelled up like a toad". this somehow got shortened to Toad Suck and a town's name was born.:)
check out www.toadsuck.org for info on Toad Suck Daze, a yearly festival held in Little Rock. and apparently, there's also a Toad Suck, Texas too.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I grew up in Roachdale, Indiana, Home of the annual "Roach Race."

I've always wondered, is there a Chicago anywhere other than Illinois? Maybe in France, England, or Russia?

JKS

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
New York City, New York (There is no Old York City, or even a York City)
But there is a York, England, which was the basis for "New" York. And the largest city in this "New" York is called, natch, "New York City".

I'm no historian, but I think that most areas in the Northeast that have "New" in their names are based on cities in England. "New" Jersey, "New" Brunswick, "New" London, heck, "New" England for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks