Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

brightness might be a good thing?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   KellyR

KellyR

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 05:40 AM

Until I read the actual definition of brightness from the glossary, I had always thought it to be a bad thing. The definition says that it isn't always a good or bad thing. So what is it. To paraphrase, "....brightness refers to reproduced sound having a hard, crisp edge to it...All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive....". So wouldn't a little brightness be okay (or even desirable)? I ask this because I am looking at Klipsch speakers and half the people who talk about them on the forum say that they're "a little bright". Do they mean a little too bright, or just a little bright in general (which sounds like a desirable thing to me)?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 06:19 AM

A little bright as in brighter. Brightness is relative to the listener. Too bright can be annoying, harsh, and unnatural (over emphasised). What is too bright? That's up to you to decide. Klipsch are highly regarded. As the saying goes - if they sound good to you.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:13 AM

However, the ideal for all speaker systems is flat and neutral, no matter how "unnatural" a film soundtrack is in the first place. A good speaker system reproduces faithfully as possible the signal it has been fed.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,560 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:18 AM

I don't mind a somewhat brighter speaker, but Klipsch is too much for me. I like metal domes, but I have always loved the smoothness of soft domes. I'd spent years with Paradigms, which are relatively forward, and recently switched to speakers using soft dome tweeters (also a much more neutral speaker overall). At first, they seemed a bit soft to me, but after a while of listening, I find that I really prefer the softer sound of these speakers, especially over extended listening periods.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 08:36 AM

working at bb, i'm selling klipsch all day long. i gotta agree that they are somewhat bright - that's due to the horn-tweeter. they're really "in your face". but they're sure better then just about any other speaker there.

is that desirable? that's solely up to you. for example, my uncle definitely prefers a bright speaker. so do i...to an extent. i definitely prefer bright to boomy.

bottom line...if they sound good to you...then that's all that matters. (aka "ted's golden rule of audio"....) Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users