What's new

Top Rare DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Jason*C

Grip
I would like to know what you guys think the top rare dvds are? Either from being out of print or just low production numbers.

I know most likely they will be Criterion versions, especially the Robocop version that I see going up to near $40 on Ebay (even though its non anamorphic).

Its been a little less than a year since i've been collecting DVD's. I am late to the game, but I guess I at least missed some headaches from earlier DVD releases which were not enhanced for widescreen tv's.

Anyway any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
if you keep looking on ebay you can get a good buy, I got Robocop Brand New Criteron for 35 bux.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Let's see...

1) Little Shop of Horrors (1986) which included the b&w workprint of the original ending. The disc was recalled and the later release eliminated the ending after David Geffen had a cow.
2) Disney's Pinocchio--their first animated U.S. DVD release--that when played was actually Dreamworks' The Prince of Egypt. It was in a Pinocchio case, and the DVD had the Pinocchio artwork on the disc itself. We're still not sure how that one got out.
3) Devil's Advocate--the first release that included the sculpture that was later digitally removed.
4) My Man Godfrey (Criterion) which actually got out the door missing "The Criterion Collection" from the top of the front cover.

- Steve

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Here are a few animated DVD's that are rare and are worth a bit...

1. Aeon Flux - I've seen this OOP disc from Sony go for $100 on eBay.
2. X-Men Animated Series - There were three DVD releases from Universal (Phoenix Saga, Reunion & Sanctuary) and can go for at least $50 a piece.
3. Super Mario Brothers Super Show - This DiC DVD was released in early 2002 but in very low numbers and I recently sold my copy for $45.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
I've seen copies of Criterion's OOP release of Salo go for $100-$500 on eBay - might not be the case any more, the market got flooded with bootlegs due to the insane profit they could reap by scamming eBayers with them...so the prices in general may have gone down.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I trust nobody's forgotten about the obscene prices being paid for Criterion's 'Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom'. $250+ for this. Unbelievable.

Some other rarities would include the Army of Darkness original 2-disc Anchor Bay version, and the Halloween 2-disc Anchor Bay from 1999.

It's funny that even though all the contents of the above 3 DVDs are in print in various different versions, people are still willing to pay these prices! Oh well.

Anybody want to pay me $400 for my copy of 'My Fair Lady' that still has the 'Premiere Collection' banner? Didn't think so....

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Along the lines of the Pinocchio-Prince of Egypt error disc, I had a Gamera: Guardian of the Universe disc with Gamera artwork, but the actual disc was Super Duper Sumos vol. 2. It was a review disc, and I've never heard of any such problems with the release disc, so perhaps only a handful exist.

More common but still not readily findable is the UK disc of Freaks (1932) that actually has a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas concert on it. :frowning: Highly disappointing. I don't know that any were actually pressed with the right movie on it since it turns out the releasing company didn't actually have the rights to the films in the first place.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
We can add to it the Beavis and Butthead set that was planned for release but was immediately pulled. I've seen it go for some pretty serious prices on eBay.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I didn't realize the Aeon Flux DVD commands such a high price! I bought it the day it came out too. Where the hell is the rest of the episodes on DVD anyways? :angry:

I wonder if Criterion's "Silence of the Lambs" and "The Killer" (John Woo) are OOP, and if they are worth a lot on ebay...

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Clownhouse for sure. It "escaped" and is floating around. I saw some guy selling it on Amazon for hundreds of dollars.

Also the Puppet Master DVD Collection which I own. That one fetches quite a bit of money on Ebay. I had two of them, and sold one for $200.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Ju Dou
The Best Years of Our Lives (original 2 sided)
Le Samourai (Region 2)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg ( single disc Region 2 France)

Cheers,

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ill NEVER get rid of.....

Criterion Robocop
Criterion Sid & Nancy

If you like either film, try to pick these up.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
How about the 'Collector's Edition' Austin Powers DVD? New Line later rereleased this title under the Platinum label with has one additional deleted scene.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Getting back to "The Killer" and "Silence of the Lambs":

Still dunno their auction prices, but I looked at Amazon marketplace to see what they sell for there.

Asking prices for "The Killer" ranged from $100 up to $400!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
"Silence" was much more reasonable, with used prices from $28 up to $90. I got a copy through Amazon Marketplace a while back for about $30 shipped, which seemed more than reasonable.

(The Criterion "Silence" is one OOP disc I definitely advocate over the on-the-market one. The picture ain't anamorphic but it seems much more satisfying than the MGM one. I also prefer the denseness of the audio compared to the thin and bland MGM 5.1 track. I still have the Criterion LD, so I didn't need the DVD for the extras - I wanted to have the best version to WATCH, and that's NOT the MGM one!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks