Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Top Rare DVD's?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason*C

Jason*C

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 08:44 PM

I would like to know what you guys think the top rare dvds are? Either from being out of print or just low production numbers. I know most likely they will be Criterion versions, especially the Robocop version that I see going up to near $40 on Ebay (even though its non anamorphic). Its been a little less than a year since i've been collecting DVD's. I am late to the game, but I guess I at least missed some headaches from earlier DVD releases which were not enhanced for widescreen tv's. Anyway any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

#2 of 77 OFFLINE   Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 10:47 PM

if you keep looking on ebay you can get a good buy, I got Robocop Brand New Criteron for 35 bux.

#3 of 77 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 30 2003 - 11:48 PM

Let's see... 1) Little Shop of Horrors (1986) which included the b&w workprint of the original ending. The disc was recalled and the later release eliminated the ending after David Geffen had a cow. 2) Disney's Pinocchio--their first animated U.S. DVD release--that when played was actually Dreamworks' The Prince of Egypt. It was in a Pinocchio case, and the DVD had the Pinocchio artwork on the disc itself. We're still not sure how that one got out. 3) Devil's Advocate--the first release that included the sculpture that was later digitally removed. 4) My Man Godfrey (Criterion) which actually got out the door missing "The Criterion Collection" from the top of the front cover. - Steve

#4 of 77 OFFLINE   Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 01:51 AM

Here are a few animated DVD's that are rare and are worth a bit... 1. Aeon Flux - I've seen this OOP disc from Sony go for $100 on eBay. 2. X-Men Animated Series - There were three DVD releases from Universal (Phoenix Saga, Reunion & Sanctuary) and can go for at least $50 a piece. 3. Super Mario Brothers Super Show - This DiC DVD was released in early 2002 but in very low numbers and I recently sold my copy for $45.

#5 of 77 OFFLINE   Ryan FB

Ryan FB

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 02:33 AM

I've seen copies of Criterion's OOP release of Salo go for $100-$500 on eBay - might not be the case any more, the market got flooded with bootlegs due to the insane profit they could reap by scamming eBayers with them...so the prices in general may have gone down.

#6 of 77 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 01 2003 - 02:35 AM

I trust nobody's forgotten about the obscene prices being paid for Criterion's 'Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom'. $250+ for this. Unbelievable. Some other rarities would include the Army of Darkness original 2-disc Anchor Bay version, and the Halloween 2-disc Anchor Bay from 1999. It's funny that even though all the contents of the above 3 DVDs are in print in various different versions, people are still willing to pay these prices! Oh well. Anybody want to pay me $400 for my copy of 'My Fair Lady' that still has the 'Premiere Collection' banner? Didn't think so....

#7 of 77 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 01 2003 - 02:38 AM

Though it's not fetching hundreds, I'd say the Duel DVD released earlier this year is up there as far as rarity.

#8 of 77 OFFLINE   Ryan FB

Ryan FB

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 02:40 AM

From what I read that Duel DVD wasn't released - it escaped. Posted Image Posted Image

#9 of 77 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 03:02 AM

Along the lines of the Pinocchio-Prince of Egypt error disc, I had a Gamera: Guardian of the Universe disc with Gamera artwork, but the actual disc was Super Duper Sumos vol. 2. It was a review disc, and I've never heard of any such problems with the release disc, so perhaps only a handful exist.

More common but still not readily findable is the UK disc of Freaks (1932) that actually has a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas concert on it. Posted Image Highly disappointing. I don't know that any were actually pressed with the right movie on it since it turns out the releasing company didn't actually have the rights to the films in the first place.

#10 of 77 OFFLINE   Dan Stone

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 03:05 AM

The THX Demo DVD has been known to command some pretty high prices at times.
www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself

#11 of 77 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 04:39 AM

We can add to it the Beavis and Butthead set that was planned for release but was immediately pulled. I've seen it go for some pretty serious prices on eBay.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#12 of 77 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 04:50 AM

Hmm, I didn't realize the Aeon Flux DVD commands such a high price! I bought it the day it came out too. Where the hell is the rest of the episodes on DVD anyways? Posted Image

I wonder if Criterion's "Silence of the Lambs" and "The Killer" (John Woo) are OOP, and if they are worth a lot on ebay...
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#13 of 77 OFFLINE   Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 04:50 AM

Clownhouse for sure. It "escaped" and is floating around. I saw some guy selling it on Amazon for hundreds of dollars.

Also the Puppet Master DVD Collection which I own. That one fetches quite a bit of money on Ebay. I had two of them, and sold one for $200.

#14 of 77 OFFLINE   Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 05:07 AM

Ju Dou The Best Years of Our Lives (original 2 sided) Le Samourai (Region 2) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg ( single disc Region 2 France) Cheers,

#15 of 77 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 05:08 AM

Ill NEVER get rid of..... Criterion Robocop Criterion Sid & Nancy If you like either film, try to pick these up.

#16 of 77 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,411 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:11 AM

[quote] I wonder if Criterion's "Silence of the Lambs" and "The Killer" (John Woo) are OOP, and if they are worth a lot on ebay... [quote]

Dunno their auction prices, but both are definitely long-gone OOP...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#17 of 77 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:12 AM

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Criterion Spinal Tap.
Guess what...

#18 of 77 OFFLINE   Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:16 AM

How about the 'Collector's Edition' Austin Powers DVD? New Line later rereleased this title under the Platinum label with has one additional deleted scene.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#19 of 77 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,411 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:26 AM

Getting back to "The Killer" and "Silence of the Lambs":

Still dunno their auction prices, but I looked at Amazon marketplace to see what they sell for there.

Asking prices for "The Killer" ranged from $100 up to $400! Posted Image "Silence" was much more reasonable, with used prices from $28 up to $90. I got a copy through Amazon Marketplace a while back for about $30 shipped, which seemed more than reasonable.

(The Criterion "Silence" is one OOP disc I definitely advocate over the on-the-market one. The picture ain't anamorphic but it seems much more satisfying than the MGM one. I also prefer the denseness of the audio compared to the thin and bland MGM 5.1 track. I still have the Criterion LD, so I didn't need the DVD for the extras - I wanted to have the best version to WATCH, and that's NOT the MGM one!)
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 77 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,101 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:51 AM

Stepmom
Lost In Space
The Matrix

Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users