Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Which sounds better???

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Percell

Percell

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 10:17 AM

Just a quick question. I have a Denon 4802r receiver with B&W 603 speakers (surround). I just watch the movie 'X men 2' in DTS. It sounded great, a little more on the bass side, but it really rocked. In your opinion which sounds better DTS or Dobly 5.1??? Thanks!!!
Percell

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 10:23 AM

Lol. That's anything but a quick question. In general, there's no right answer, it's been debated a lot. For specific movies there may be different mixes for one or the other that may make onse sound better. If you mean for this specific flick, then I don't know. But generally, they should both sound great, though I wager most of us choose DTS when it's available, but couldn't tell the difference between the two.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 11:32 AM

Chris is right..depends on the movie. I watched Coyote Ugly in both, and have to say that DTS sounded better. But, on other movies, it didnt sound as good, and wasn't available on the disk. Trust your ears, they won't steer you wrong. Posted Image Posted Image
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 05:53 AM

DTS plays back a little louder. This will give the psychological effect of sounding better (and make it near impossible to do a/b comparison). DTS is the only format that provides a discrete rear center. I generally select DTS when available and have spent little time trying to figure out if it sounded any better.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 06:49 AM

The theory of DTS, initially at least, was a less compressed (digitall speaking) digital carrier- more bandwidth meaning better quality...

However on DVD, the original DTS codec has been made into a "lite" version using about half the data rate as theatrical DTS.

Some still prefer the DTS codec to DD, although in many cases I really think the differences are subtle at best. The fact that DD is a 15:1 data compression and still sounds as good as it does is a wonder of modern science Posted Image

-vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 01 2003 - 07:53 AM

It comes down to the particular soundtrack and who/how mixed and mastered it. Given a choice, I will always select the DTS track first. Is it really better than the DD version? Who knows....

Which tastes better, Coke or Pepsi? Only you can answer that for yourself.

[quote] DTS plays back a little louder. [quote]
This is not unilaterally correct, again, it depends on the master/mix.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users