What's new

What is Galadriel/Elrond relationship? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Is she his mother, cousin, sister or wife? I knew this once, but now I'm drawing a blank!

Ric

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
She's his mother in law.

Galadriel is considered the spiritual leader of elvenkind, while Elrond's Rivendel is the intellectual center.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I don't remember the wife's name off the top of my head (she's not in any of the movies if that's what you mean). There are extensive family trees in the Silmarillion if you're really interested.

Here's another bit of trivia: Aragorn is the distant descendent of Elrond's brother. So Aragorn and Arwen are distant cousins (37 times removed or something like that).

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Actually, if you're read The Silmarillion, Elrond would be like two generations younger than Galadriel, since Galadriel is the second-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Finarfin) and Elrond is the fourth-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Fingolfin).

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Actually, if you're read The Silmarillion, Elrond would be like two generations younger than Galadriel, since Galadriel is the second-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Finarfin) and Elrond is the fourth-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Fingolfin).
OK, I dug out the Silmarillion and dusted off the cobwebs. Elrond's wife Celebrian who is the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn. That would make Galadriel Elrond's mother in law and Arwen's gramdma. :p)

ScottMurdock

Auditioning
Real Name
scott murdock
I believe Elronds wife is celeborns sister celebrian, therefore galadriel is his brother in laws wife. Whatever teir familial relation may or may not be, they're both ass kickers who resisted the temptation of the ring when it was within their grasp. As to why Elrond didn't throw the ring into the fire after the great battle in the first age,,,There would have been no story if he had. my family is in the deep south, and my brother calls his brother in laws wife his sister-in law. But we're redneck trash down here, :P

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First of all welcome to the forum. In the spirit of busting the chops of even veteran posters and all in fun (please accept my sincere apology offered even before I hit submit): I'm not sure which is funnier: An 8 year old thread is revived. A new poster revives it. 1st post 'corrects' a previous post of an argument which was settled well before the days of smartphones. [I would put one of those smilies at the end, but most people around here know my hatred for those little critters so I won't support that hypocrisy]

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by David Norman

First of all welcome to the forum. In the spirit of busting the chops of even veteran posters and all in fun (please accept my sincere apology offered even before I hit submit):

I'm not sure which is funnier:

An 8 year old thread is revived.

A new poster revives it.

1st post 'corrects' a previous post of an argument which was settled well before the days of smartphones.

But, you gotta admit that's one of the awesome things about the ol HTF....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Paul_Sjordal said:
Here's another bit of trivia: Aragorn is the distant descendent of Elrond's brother. So Aragorn and Arwen are distant cousins (37 times removed or something like that).
Ew, grody!!! I call my wife's brother-in-law my brother-in-law, 'cause thanks to my sister's deadbeat boyfriend, it's the only way I'll ever have any kind of brother. :) My other brother's mother is my mother too. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks