Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What is Galadriel/Elrond relationship?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 03:48 PM

Is she his mother, cousin, sister or wife? I knew this once, but now I'm drawing a blank!

Ric

#2 of 13 Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 04:01 PM

She's his mother in law.

Galadriel is considered the spiritual leader of elvenkind, while Elrond's Rivendel is the intellectual center.
“It’s great to be known, but it’s even better to be known as strange.” —Takeshi Kaga

#3 of 13 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Paul,

Mother-in-law? Who's his wife? Can you point me to a family tree?

Ric

#4 of 13 Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 04:23 PM

I don't remember the wife's name off the top of my head (she's not in any of the movies if that's what you mean). There are extensive family trees in the Silmarillion if you're really interested.

Here's another bit of trivia: Aragorn is the distant descendent of Elrond's brother. So Aragorn and Arwen are distant cousins (37 times removed or something like that).
“It’s great to be known, but it’s even better to be known as strange.” —Takeshi Kaga

#5 of 13 Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 05:14 PM

Actually, if you're read The Silmarillion, Elrond would be like two generations younger than Galadriel, since Galadriel is the second-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Finarfin) and Elrond is the fourth-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Fingolfin).
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#6 of 13 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 12:09 AM

Fin a Feeda Fig a Fug a Footch

#7 of 13 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 12:29 AM

Celebrian
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#8 of 13 Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 01:18 AM

Quote:
Actually, if you're read The Silmarillion, Elrond would be like two generations younger than Galadriel, since Galadriel is the second-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Finarfin) and Elrond is the fourth-generation descendant of Finwë (through Finwë's son Fingolfin).

OK, I dug out the Silmarillion and dusted off the cobwebs. Elrond's wife Celebrian who is the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn. That would make Galadriel Elrond's mother in law and Arwen's gramdma. :P)

#9 of 13 john doran

john doran

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 12:25 AM

paul's got it.

here's a good link.
 fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

#10 of 13 ScottMurdock

ScottMurdock

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 02:47 PM

I believe Elronds wife is celeborns sister celebrian, therefore galadriel is his brother in laws wife. Whatever teir familial relation may or may not be, they're both ass kickers who resisted the temptation of the ring when it was within their grasp. As to why Elrond didn't throw the ring into the fire after the great battle in the first age,,,There would have been no story if he had. my family is in the deep south, and my brother calls his brother in laws wife his sister-in law. But we're redneck trash down here, :P

#11 of 13 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,970 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 31 2011 - 03:15 PM

First of all welcome to the forum. In the spirit of busting the chops of even veteran posters and all in fun (please accept my sincere apology offered even before I hit submit): I'm not sure which is funnier: An 8 year old thread is revived. A new poster revives it. 1st post 'corrects' a previous post of an argument which was settled well before the days of smartphones. [I would put one of those smilies at the end, but most people around here know my hatred for those little critters so I won't support that hypocrisy]

#12 of 13 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by David Norman 

First of all welcome to the forum. In the spirit of busting the chops of even veteran posters and all in fun (please accept my sincere apology offered even before I hit submit):

I'm not sure which is funnier:

An 8 year old thread is revived.

A new poster revives it.

1st post 'corrects' a previous post of an argument which was settled well before the days of smartphones.

But, you gotta admit that's one of the awesome things about the ol HTF....

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#13 of 13 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 03 2011 - 05:00 AM

Here's another bit of trivia: Aragorn is the distant descendent of Elrond's brother. So Aragorn and Arwen are distant cousins (37 times removed or something like that).

Ew, grody!!! I call my wife's brother-in-law my brother-in-law, 'cause thanks to my sister's deadbeat boyfriend, it's the only way I'll ever have any kind of brother. :) My other brother's mother is my mother too. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick