-

Photo
- - - - -

2004 Is A Great Year For TV Shows On DVD!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#21 of 84 OFFLINE   rockinricky

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 01:30 PM

I want to see how they do "All My Children" and "General Hospital" on DVD, as there's no way they can release season-sized box sets of a daytime soap. I can just imagine how many discs it would take for 41 years of GH.

#22 of 84 OFFLINE   Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 01:50 PM

Still no Magnum P.I. Am I the only person that wants this. I find it hard to believe that one of the most successfull shows of the 80's isn't out yet, but some of the other stuff is. Everyone has thier own taste, but man can't understand why some of that stuff warrants a release on DVD but Magnum doesn't.

Brandon,

I agree this would be a great release unfortunately it's owned by Universal. They've proven in recent months they are without a doubt THE WORST!! studio when it comes to tv and movie releases.

Those idiots running the dvd department(?) have lots of classic shows in their vaults, Rockford Files,Six Million Dollar Man,Bionic Woman,Emergency!,etc. which for whatever reason are not being released. It's inexcusbale imo

Thank goodnees for Columbia Tri Star,HBO,FOX and Warner Brother's. They get the whole tv on dvd = $$$ & satisfied consumers.

#23 of 84 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 01:51 PM

Do those General Hospital tapes from the early 60's still even exist? I'd also like to see someone try to collect over 40 years of box sets. Posted Image

#24 of 84 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 01:52 PM

Richard, The "Dark Shadows" collections have been quite an undertaking, and I'm betting that soap is the only one that will ever see a treatment like that. "All My Children" and "General Hospital" will probably have themed DVD releases. I can't imagine anyone buying them for any reason other than nostalgia purposes, which "Best of" or "Themed" collections should provide for quite nicely.

Let's face it, the target audience of soap operas (with exception to soaps with a twist, like "Dark Shadows") is not exactly the same group you see avidly searching the TV on DVD aisles at your local Best Buy.

What should we expect to see? Probably something along the lines of "The Best of Luke and Laura", "Evil Twins", "The Best of Susan Lucci" or "Back from the Dead!".

Quote:
Do those General Hospital tapes from the early 60's still even exist?

At least some of them do. The folks at Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed on several of them when they ran out of educational shorts to mock prior to the main features.

Quote:
Those idiots running the dvd department(?) have lots of classic shows in their vaults, Rockford Files,Six Million Dollar Man,Bionic Woman,Emergency!,etc. which for whatever reason are not being released.

Even though it's going to be a comedy with Jim Carrey in the lead, the upcoming Six Million Dollar Man film could give rise to the series on DVD. Universal generally likes to cash in on those kinds of things. However, once you get one season, a second one may take forever for them to release.

#25 of 84 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 29 2003 - 02:35 PM

It's not in the same league as a 40+-year soap, but Hawaii 5-0 and Gunsmoke would both be difficult collections to complete. I hope the sheer number of seasons doesn't make those prime candidates for best-of releases. Still, they would have to be priced right to be affordable. If they were in the sub-$50 range, it would be a little more palatable.

As for CHiPs, I've been watching that lately, too. I didn't really watch it as a kid, but I'm liking it. I might stop watching if buzz starts building for a DVD release.

#26 of 84 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 02:59 PM

Quote:
Judging by the sheer number of titles and varieties of shows in your collection, I'm not entirely sure what you WOULDN'T buy in a heartbeat.

I assure you, you won't find me anywhere near a Touched By An Angel release! Posted Image

I can begin naming shows I won't buy, but then I'll only offend folks who like those shows. Not good for a guy in my position. I'm sure the TBaA fans will be gunning for me now...
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#27 of 84 OFFLINE   ChadP2k

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the great list. It's safe to say I'm going to spend a small fortune in 2004 it looks like. Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, Seinfeld and The Flintstones alone will keep me busy, and I've got to keep up with "The Simpsons" "Sanford & Son" and I Love Lucy

The sad fact is and I hate to say it, but I wonder how many of these series will last. I think Gilligan' is almost a certainty to make it to completion given it's just 3 seasons long, and I'm sure Seinfeld will given the popularity but I worry about The Flintstones and Green Acres. The good thing is my Green Acres videotapes are all in chronological order, so three can go in the trash for every season they release :-)

#28 of 84 OFFLINE   Greg Black

Greg Black

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 05:03 PM

Universal, WHERE THE HELL IS MAGNUM P.I. & SIMON & SIMON?!?!

And for my dad, Murder She Wrote Posted Image

#29 of 84 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 06:35 AM

I saw Magnum when it was on A&E a few years ago with NewsRadio & Night Court it was pretty cool. I'm sure It will be along eventually maybe even in the great year of 2004.

#30 of 84 OFFLINE   Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 09:42 AM

Glad to see a party of five fan.. most of them were quite good. I loved it, but really didnt get to see much of the final season. I think we will see it eventually.

#31 of 84 OFFLINE   Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 10:55 AM

David,
Just out of curiosity what do you base your "All My Children" and "General Hospital" releases on and what would the DVDs consist of.

#32 of 84 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
Dukes of Hazzard
any idea Dave as to when in 2004, and Season sets or best of?

still no news for Home Improvement? Posted Image
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#33 of 84 OFFLINE   LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
still no news for Home Improvement? Posted Image

"Home Improvement" is not happening for the time being, and the Best-Of 10 episode that was planned was pulled. (It would have been released last month.)

#34 of 84 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 11:35 AM

Woah that sucks for Home Improvement. I always liked that show it should be on DVD right now along with Seinfeld, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air & Rosanne.

#35 of 84 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 30 2003 - 11:49 AM

Here is everything I know about Dukes of Hazzard on DVD.

All My Children & General Hospital would surely be best-of releases. As far as the source of my info, read all about it.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#36 of 84 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,221 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 30 2003 - 03:15 PM

A sad historical note:

Soap operas and game shows, we all know, air five times a week and are done on tape. Networks and producers couldn't afford to store the unused tapes and didn't think anyone would want to see them again (there was no Game Show Network or SoapNet in the 60s and 70s), so they junked the originals. They did not begin actively archiving them until the late 70s. There may be some exceptions.

Even if they did exist, how many DVDs would you need for every episode of All My Children?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#37 of 84 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 12:26 AM

Lots of good stuff coming, but I'm eager for :

THE ODD COUPLE
THE MUNSTERS
ALL IN THE FAMILY (more seasons - what's going on with this?)

#38 of 84 ONLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,886 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Star Trek TOS Boxed sets!

Are you just making a wish or do you know something we don't?

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#39 of 84 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 03:59 AM

Ted, it's all true! Posted Image

For the record, I left that off of my list because it's technically a reissue, rather than something all-new. It's still very exciting, though!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#40 of 84 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 01 2003 - 04:06 AM

The only TV show that I'd buy in a heartbeat now is "The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr.", since most that I have an interest in are out now. Hey guys, give me some Bruce goodness. Posted Image

Jason

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow