What's new

Buffy Season 5 reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
With the release just over a week away, has anyone been able to review this set yet?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
They apparently had a change of heart. I received the full six-disc set for review a short while ago, and I'm wading through it now.

Preliminary note before anyone asks -- no "Previously on..."s, not even on The Gift.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
...not even on The Gift.
the earlier 'outrages' over the absence of the "previously"s left me more amused than anything.
i never considered them that big of a deal to get worked up about.
But here, i'd knock the set down a point just for this (of course leaving them off of the other sets would have diluted its potency anyway-)
this was an amazing kick-off to the last episode. it's absence is quite disappointing.

something so small and simple.
you would think a studio that is capable of so much quality would have gone the extra 1/2 inch for this.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Preliminary note before anyone asks -- no "Previously on..."s, not even on The Gift.
I know a lot of people consider it nitpicking to complain about the "Previously on" intros being left off, but this wasn't your typical "recap of last week's episode". It was a beautifully constructed and fitting beginning to Buffy's 100th show(not to mention the season finale). Plus, the intro leads right into the episode, so it's omission will seem kind of distracting(ok, now I'm nitpicking but still!). I guess this means I'll be sticking with the R2 set.

This does bring up an interesting question. The 2nd season of 24 had all the "Previously on" intros included and that was released by Fox. So is removing them from the Region 1 Buffy and Angel sets the studio's decision or Mutant Enemy's?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Plus, the intro leads right into the episode, so it's omission will seem kind of distracting(ok, now I'm nitpicking but still!).
...and, as you said, the opening of the episode is kind of a jumpy, abrupt start as a result of its removal.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Disappointing about the lack of "Previously..." on "The Gift."

I was also disappointed that they didn't include the intro to "Welcome to the Hellmouth" on the S1 set.

(Question: Are the "Previously on" intros included on the eps when they're run on FX or in syndication?")

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
(Question: Are the "Previously on" intros included on the eps when they're run on FX or in syndication?")
Yes. The Angel episodes on TNT also include the "Previously on" intros.

That is really disappointing about no "Previously on" on The Gift. It really added to that episode.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Someone needs to bring up the "previously" issue at the next Fox chat. This is akin to accidentally deleting a scene from a movie, and I'd seriously consider just ordering the region 2 version instead, regardless of the fact that it's in 16:9. At least I'll get the entire episode.

Some might think this is dumb, but Buffy is my favorite show and the 100th episode capper was a SERIES highpoint for me (especially since I didn't much like most of the last two seasons). I hope Fox is willing to do something about this.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
This is very disturbing. I'm thinking FOX should do something about this. They should have fixed the problem with Season 3's first 2 episodes having the wrong theme song, but oh well. This is even bigger!

Didn't they do a replacement with the season 6 disc of X-Files? Maybe something similar is in order here...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The replacement for disc 1 of X-Files season 6 never happened. They did provide a number to call at first for replacement, but later announced that the episode Triangle was found to be "acceptable" by all major parties involved.

Joel C

Screenwriter
No, Chris Carter gave it his stamp of approval. But I doubt Joss Whedon would do the same, he hyped the "something special" for the 100 episode previously beforehand on the Buffy message board.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Thats horrible. Why on earth would they do that?
The "Previously on Buffy" was amazing before the Gift!

Blu

Screenwriter
I just got notified my pre-order was canceled by Overstock.com

Anyone else have this happen?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as one of those people who is very disappointed that The Gift's previously on... is not included. It was a great prologue to the story.

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks