Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

1960's Batman tv shows on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   John Moral

John Moral

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 12:39 AM

Dear Friends
knd regards
I am very happy to be a new member of this theatre forum and would like to thank you all for looking at this post.
I was wondering if anyone had any news about when or if the 120 episodes of the Batman tv are ever going to be released on DVD?
If I may be permitted to be blunt I will now take this fine opportunity to question why 20th century fox has abandoned this idea or has never taken it into consideration.
EVERYONE that I speak too loves the old 1960's Batman tv show starring Adam West and Burt Ward.
I have the Batman movie on DVD but what about the TV shows?
if you have any news on this issue I'd appreciate it.
yours thankfully
John

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 03:24 AM

Welcome to HTF, John. FYI, the DVD Etc. section is for discussing stories and reviews in the magazine with the editors and writers. This is where you ask questions related to DVDs.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 03:39 AM

It's been talked about a lot here actually and the situation doesn't look good. I believe it was Ron Epstein who last had a chance to ask about Batman on DVD. Basically, Fox and Warner are having some sort of dispute over the rights to Batman, so it's lost in purgatory somewhere.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,234 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 03:40 AM

Welcome to the forum.

As for the release of the Batman TV show, I'll give you the gist of it. Fox has stated that they would really like to release this show on DVD. However, while they own the rights to the TV show, Warner Bros. owns the rights to the Batman character. Apparently, this is what is making the release not possible. I think it sucks that these two studios can't or won't come to an agreement that would allow the release, because, in the end, we the consumers are the ones who lose out.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 03:58 AM

All that is esssentially correct. Here is some in-depth background:

Fox would LOVE to release the Adam West/Burt Ward television series of Batman on DVD. They own the footage from the show, and noone else has the right to put that footage onto DVD.

However, the characters on that footage - Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred the Butler, etc. - are all owned by DC Comics, which is a division of Warner Brothers.

The characters were licensed to Fox to use for the TV Show, and there is no license to release them on DVD. Warner and Fox have been unable to reach any agreement that each finds acceptable for getting DVDs out. Some have speculated that Warner is purposely delaying this until the next Batman film hits theaters, to maximize awareness for the film and profits they would get via the license of the set to Fox.

Under terms of the existing license for the FILM which was based on that television show, a DVD of Batman - The Movie was brought out a while back...it can now be found at Wal-Mart in the $5.88 bargain bin.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,036 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 04:06 AM

David,

Great explanation.

A real shame that Warner is holding up
this TV series release for Fox. You would
hope the two studios would have come to an
agreement.

John,

Definately buy the BATMAN MOVIE (1960s)
available on DVD. It's the closest thing
to the TV show that you will get right now.
If you have never seen it before, it's a
great film!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   John Moral

John Moral

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 04:28 AM

Dear Friends
kind regards
Many thanks for your comments and information.
I have the Batman movie DVD-It is very good.
I hope that Fox and Warner brothers can come to some sort of arrangement.
I hope that they release ALL 120 episodes.
They have a big market for it.
yours thankfully
John