-

Photo
- - - - -

Swift Running Computer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 JohnPop

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted November 27 2003 - 08:09 AM

Many people who have had their computers for 18-30 months now complain of laggy performance and have the dire wish to upgrade. There is a quick (rather long actually) fix to this.

Backup
Format your harddrive
Reinstall Windows XP (don't you dare go back to W98!)
Reinstall all of your programs.

Any questions?

This is a rather primitive guide but thorough > pcmech.com/show/os/70/2

Basically on XP after you have have backedup, you just have to put in the XP disc and restart. Its automated all the way to the finish. (Then you have to reinstall 10 or so programs that you absolutely need) Now you will have a computer without the preinstalled software that you dont need, and be reorganized.

#2 of 8 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 27 2003 - 08:28 AM

i do this once every six weeks or so, improves my system performance immensely, especially when i try out programs that i dont usually use, game demos and other stuff. actually, i am about due for another format right about now.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 8 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted November 27 2003 - 09:36 AM

You could always get Norton Ghost. Install XP and your essential programs and drivers. Then all you need to do is ghost it onto another hard drive/partition/DVD-R. Then, when you have the urge to reinstall, just restore from the ghost image! It'll be much much faster than reinstalling...maybe 10 minutes or so.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#4 of 8 JohnPop

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted November 27 2003 - 09:40 AM

Ya, Ghost works very well.

#5 of 8 JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted November 27 2003 - 10:27 AM

Every 6 weeks? Geez.

XP/2000 is a lot easier to maintain than 98, I haven't had to reformat/reinstall any of my systems using either of them yet. You just have to keep on top of what's on there and make sure stuff is really gone when you uninstall, and make sure you don't put huge files places where you'll forget about them.

#6 of 8 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 27 2003 - 07:08 PM

Quote:
Every 6 weeks? Geez.
usually...i did one today, and i have no idea how it happened, but i have way more spyware garbage on my computer than before. frustrated does not even begin to describe how i am feeling now. i ran spybot and it found a couple hundred entries, ad aware found 50+. i dont know where from, i hadnt even gone to any sites except this one. does anyone know any more good spyware programs? Posted Image

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#7 of 8 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 04:49 AM

Does Norton Ghost allow you to only backup selected programs/files without having to backup the whole hard drive?

#8 of 8 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 05:37 AM

Nick - no. It's a partition-based application.
No longer here.