What's new

_JFK: Breaking the News_ -- Is there an easier way to purchase this DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Most PBS stations recently aired the excellent 60-minute, Jane Pauley-narrated documentary JFK: Breaking the News. Produced by Dallas PBS affiliate KERA, this you-are-there documentary uses rare live footage from KERA to recreate in vivid fashion what those fateful hours were like.

It is one of the best documentaries on the subject I have seen.

And I was gladdened to note that it is available now on DVD, according to an announcement during the program's end credits.

Unfortunately, there's a catch: A long search at ShopPBS.org didn't turn up the title. Turns out it is available, at the moment apparently, only through KERA in Dallas. And it's yours for a "gift donation" of only $100 ($150 for a special combo pack featuring the book of the same title).

While I have the utmost respect for PBS and its affiliate stations, I would prefer not to make yet another "gift donation" to any PBS station (my own KCET-Channel 28 gets money enough from me each year).

A Google search turned up no other vendors. So I guess I'm out of luck for now, huh?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering about this title too, Jack. Your glowing recommendation makes me want it all the more.

But it does seem you've got to donate a hundred clams to PBS-TV in order to get the DVD. :frowning: :frowning: .......

http://support.kera.org/tv/ItemDetai...FBCBEFEF3BCF51

Jack ..... Is your local Los Angeles PBS affiliate (KCET), by chance, going to repeat the program sometime in Nov./Dec.? I'd keep an eye on their schedule. Maybe you'll be able to catch it & tape it.

Although the DVD would be preferred. It says here that the DVD will have Special Features and Bonus Material from the "Sixth Floor Museum" in Dallas.

Unfortunately, my local PBS station did not air the program even once.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Greg, I agree with you re. the ABC (Peter Jennings) Special. Excellent.

I thought ahead and recorded that one off to DVD myself on the date it aired (saving $35.90 in the process :D). So I won't need to order the outrageously-priced one from the ABC News Store.

By-the-by, Greg ..... Were you aware that the Dale Myers' 3-D computer
animation used in the ABC Special is going to be featured in a DVD all its
own -- "Secrets Of A Homicide". I look forward to seeing this detailed account of the Myers' animation. (I was hungry for more of the actual animation footage on the ABC Special.) :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't know about it, David. Thanks for the heads-up! That program was brilliant. I loved when it was overlayed onto the Zapruder film. Looks like I'll be ordering two DVDs (and failing to avoid the $35.90 like you did :D).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
That program was brilliant. I loved when it was overlayed onto the Zapruder film.
Yes indeedy.

A fellow at www.jfklancer.com, who often posts some greatly-detailed photographic work on various aspects of the JFK assassination, posted this overlaying image of the Z-Film/Animation. Eerily identical. ......

(Of course the *exact* positioning of President Kennedy in the frame above is just an educated guess on the part of Mr. Myers, since he was obviously hidden behind the Stemmons Freeway sign at that precise moment.)

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I too was very upset when I went to the KERA website only to find out I had to "support" PBS with a big donation to get the DVD. So, I called the 800 number advertised at the end of the program, and a copy of the DVD is on its way ($24.95 plus $3.00 S/H).

Did I see correctly on ABC's site that the DVD of their recent Kennedy special is $69.95?? My goodness!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I called the 800 number advertised at the end of the program, and a copy of the [PBS-TV] DVD is on its way.
Good idea, Jim (to call them).

Upon receipt of the disc, perhaps you'd be kind enough to report back to this thread, revealing what "Special Features" are contained on the PBS disc. I'd be interested in what might be on there as extras.

KERA provides this blurb re. the JFK program:

"In conjunction with the fall broadcast, JFK: BREAKING THE NEWS will be available to public television viewers on VHS and DVD. Both will include special features and additional material from The Sixth Floor Museum archives."

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I'll gladly give you a report, David VP.

Last week, my local PBS aired "JFK: Breaking The News" again in a 90-minute format. The extra 30 minutes were essentially glorified pledge breaks (it looked like a generic one that every PBS affiliate could use). In addition to asking for support and showing the JFK-related "pledge gifts" (the same that are on the KERA website -- VHS, DVD, book, combo, etc.), they interviewed the executive producer of the documentary and the journalist who wrote the companion book (Hugh Aynesworth, I believe), and talked a bit about the DVD.

They said the DVD contained the complete original program (about 1 hour) with nearly 60 minutes of additional footage -- extended versions of news clips and interviews with journalists that aired in the special, some clips and interviews that were cut for timing/flow reasons, etc. (And they showed a clip or two -- I remember seeing an extended take of Bob Schieffer explaining how Oswald's mother called his Dallas newspaper and how he drove her to the police station, and the "extended cut" includes Schieffer's description of things Oswald's mother said during the car ride.)

On a book-related side note, the new book "President Kennedy Has Been Shot" is a great companion to this special (while not the official book companion that is advertised on the KERA website, it reads pretty much like an extended transcript of the DVD). It is 300 pages long, and takes the reader through the four days via news/radio reports and recollections of the journalists. The book also includes a 60-minute CD narrated by Dan Rather with radio clips and audio of TV broadcasts from those four days. It should still be available at Amazon & BN for about $18 (40% off the list price of $30!). Again, it is a great companion to the DVD.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
By-the-by, Greg ..... Were you aware that the Dale Myers' 3-D computer animation used in the ABC Special is going to be featured in a DVD all its own -- "Secrets Of A Homicide". I look forward to seeing this detailed account of the Myers' animation. (I was hungry for more of the actual animation footage on the ABC Special.)
Sweeeeeeeet, thanks for the info David! That segment was by far the most interesting part of the ABC program, and I too was eager to see more. In fact, I'd love to play with the actual 3D computer models, but that's probably too much to ask. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks very much, Jim, for your detailed post (#15). :)

I had wondered why (at www.jfklancer.com) some people were insisting that the PBS Special was 90 and not 60 minutes on some stations. Now you've clarified why.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to play with the actual 3D computer models, ...
Yeah, you & me both. ;)
But I don't think it's going to contain any "interactive" portion. But I could be wrong. Then again, I couldn't take advantage of such nice things at any rate (I lack a DVD-ROM drive). :frowning:

Anyhow, since the DVD will be specifically all about Mr. Myers' animation, I'd bet we'll see the motorcade from every conceivable angle on the upcoming DVD product (instead of the rather short and intermittent clips we saw on the ABC Special; although what *was* shown was fascinating, IMO).

The brief clip showing the TSBD directly behind JFK (who was shown in the foreground) was chillingly realistic.

I'm wondering if the Myers' animation footage was intentionally kept to a bare minimum on the Peter Jennings' documentary, in order to just "whet the appetites" of viewers anxious to see more of it.

Plus: I doubt Mr. Myers wanted to "give it all away" on the ABC broadcast, esp. since a DVD of his own looms on the horizon.

I guess it probably comes down to making a buck (like most everything else). :frowning:

BUT...I *do* kinda like seeing a person like Mr. Myers benefitting from what I consider to be the "truth" in the matter of the assassination (i.e.: one shooter & no conspiracy), instead of watching all the authors who promote ridiculous and implausible theories raking it in hand over fist.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
One thing Dallas residents benefited from last weekend was an 8 hour broadcast of the WBAP coverage of the event from 1963. I didn't get to hear much of it this year, but it's extremely fascinating. I even heard snippets of a music program that was interrupted with the breaking news. Sadly, they stated emphatically that the broadcast will never be available for purchase. They recommended getting 8 hours worth of recording materials, but I didn't feel like rushing out to get them. Maybe next year.

Of course, the above book/CD sounds like a good companion to that broadcast.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Getting back to the original topic of the thread, one strategy might be to just wait. I know of other programs produced for PBS that were originally available only as member premiums that were later released commercially. The GORDON LIGHTFOOT LIVE IN RENO concert specifically comes to mind. If the producers went to the trouble to produce extras, they will probably want to recoup some of their expenses by making it available commercially. They are just giving subscribers first crack at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks