What's new

Integrating Magnepan MMGs into a HT system (1 Viewer)

Adnan

Auditioning
Hi,

I would like to use my Maggie MMGs in my home theatre system as my R & L channel. My question is would I need to use the Maggie center channel (CC3) to match properly, or can I look for something else? Any center channel speaker suggestions for under $800 new/used? For the time being, my rear speakers will be small Polk monitors.

Also looking for a HT receiver for under $1500 that can power that 4-ohm load properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I tried some MMG Maggies in my system and we really did like the looks and how they sounded..... but found they really needed more power than we were sending them to sound their best........
My recommendation is to use a receiver that has preouts and then use a good 2 channel amp (150-200wpc or more) to power the Mags.....

On the center, although many emphasize that HT systems MUST have matched speakers, I feel that the necessity is kinda overblown a bit. While the Magnepan center would be best, I am sure there are some centers out there that will suffice and do a good job for ya. When I had my MMGs, I was using a JBL S-Center....... a strong center regardless of the mains........

josh.s

Auditioning
I've had a beginner home theater system for about a year now. It started with a HTIB mixed with some better speakers and a dvd player. I recently upgraded my mains to MMG's as well, but of course my cheap Kenwood receiver wasn't going to be able to handle the load, so I upgraded my receiver as well. I ended up buying a Rotel RSX-1055 ($1299 MSRP) and I absolutely love it. The official spec sheet doesn't say that they're rated for 4 ohms, but the official FAQ and my dealer say they are. I've had the combo for about two weeks now and I couldn't be happier. The 1055 also has preouts to allow you to add a two channel amp like Donny suggested but still be able to use the internal 5 channels of amplication for say a 7.1 setup.

Sorry I can't help you with a center channel suggestion because that and a subwoofer are next on my upgrade list. I'd love to be able to afford the Maggie center channel, but I'm also looking for less expensive solutions so I'll be interested to hear what people have to say.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I don't have Maggies, but I do have Martin Logan's.

I do not have a ML center channel, I am using my Energy Veritas 2.0 Center and it mates very well with my ML's.

Jeff

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
I have MG-IIA's for fronts and I use an Aura LSC-537M for a center. It has a Linaeum monopole tweeter and two 5 inch cones in a ported cabinet. It is a wonderful match and I found it cheap in an auction. I got the recommendation from the Maggie user's group and they were right on target. If you can't afford the Maggie center (I can't) then this may be your best bet. I have also had limited success with other bookshelf models, but the Aura center is a perfect compromise. I also saw a similar version by Optimus/RCA that looked interesting but my wife was starting to give me the evil eye.

I think the Linaeum tweeters are a good low-budget substitute for planars. I just purchased Aura bookshelf's ($61 pair) to replace my surrounds (RCA LX-5's) and can't wait to get them. The Aura's are not available from the manufacturer anymore but they pop-up on auction quite a bit. There are two pairs of the tower models available right now at less than $100 a pair, but I don't think people are aware of the sound quality they (probably) have for such a cheap price. If the center is any indication, the bookshelf's I bought may just be the ticket.... until I can save enough to have Maggies all the way around.

The main problem with matching the Maggies is midrange. Most box speakers have a response peak somewhere that colors the sound and ruins the silky smooth mids that Mag's deliver. The LX-5's had a great high end dispersion pattern and smooth treble, but the midrange "honk" was beginning to get on my nerves. Keep in mind I have to do everything on the cheap- I was a musician for 25 years and have just recently graduated from living hand-to-mouth. So my speakers are:

MGIIA's $250 used +$40 tweeter repair
Aura Center $90 used
Rat Shack LX-5's $69 used
Hsu VTF-2 $499 new

$950 for a system that puts me inside the movie/performance every time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks