Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVD18 or 2 disc Sets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Robert Hutchison

Robert Hutchison

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 05:47 AM

As my DVD collection grows and takes up more shelf space, I start to look at the multiple disc boxed sets that I have (Brazil, Toy Story, Fantasia, Cleopatra, etc.) and wonder why more of these are not released in DVD18 so that that box takes up less of a footprint. Does the manufacturing of a DVD18 cost more than 2 DVD9's? Do the disc manufacturers feel that the public thinks that they are getting more with two discs rather than just one? In terms of convenience, I don't see anymore work in flipping a disc as opposed to changing to a second disc. I'd like my DVD boxes to take up as little shelf space as possible and still be in a sturdy case. I'm glad to see that Terminator has been announced to be released on a DVD14.

#2 of 19 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 05:53 AM

It seems like people like to have art work on their discs (Disney was right about that feature), and also think DVD-18 will be scratched or damaged easier, thus the preference for 2 disc sets.

Also I think from a studio standpoint, they are apt to sell more two disc sets at a higher price then trying to justify the increased price for only one DVD-18 of an SE edition. We know the differences between the various storage amounts found on a DVD, but most of the DVD buying public has no idea what a DVD-18 is, and may shy away from a higher price for only one disc.

J

#3 of 19 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 06:22 AM

In answer to your questions

1-Yes, DVD-18 is more expensive. The bad-disk rate is about double that of running 2 DVD-9s at the factory

2-Yes, people feel like they're getting more with 2 discs, which they are, because they get snazzy artwork on the discs which also protects them better

3-Given the slimline Amaray double case, you shouldn't be complaining about footprint anymore. Frankly, just buy some more shelves.

#4 of 19 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 06:22 AM

For 2 disc sets, I would prefer they use the cases like Cast Away, that are the same size as 1 disc movies.

------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Kyle McKnight

#5 of 19 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 06:27 AM

I prefer both dual discs and the thicker cases. For long programs, such as TV series, DVD-18 could be okay, but for films, I prefer two discs.

------------------
Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

#6 of 19 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 06:37 AM

While I only have a 1-disc-at-a-time DVD player, the DVD-18 discs are truly annoying to my friends who have carousel players. It's easier for them to load up 2 discs and let it play through than to have to switch it. Make sense to me; that's why they bought the carousel in the first place!

------------------
DAVE/Memphis

Posted Image
Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

http://www.miami.com....ocs/000565.htm

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#7 of 19 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 07:58 AM

The statistics show that Double Alpha cases are SOOOOOOOOO much better. Just kidding about the statistics....but it's true they're much better. Posted Image

#8 of 19 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted September 18 2001 - 09:09 AM

I really don't care about the difference.

I have 3 DVD-18's (Ben-Hur, Terminator 2: UE, and Superman) and 4 DVD-10's (Blazing Saddles, Air America, MST3K: The Brain That Wouldn't Die, and Amadeus.)

I have 4 two/three disc sets (Lawrence of Arabia, Walking With Dinosaurs, The Abyss: SE, Fantasia Anthology, and Big Trouble In Little China).

I probably would like the multi-disc sets better if I were to get a multi-disc DVD player. Lucky for me, Ben-Hur's flip point is at the intermission, Superman has the movie entirely on one side, T-2 also, and the other DVD-10's except for Amadeus are 2-format discs which suits me fine.

I have CD cleaner in case of a finger smudge...of course. Posted Image

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

#9 of 19 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 11:58 AM

Wow. I freaked out when you said that Blazing Saddles was a DVD-10. I said to myself, "THAT's not a flipper!" It IS, of course, a DVD-10, as are all discs with OAR on one side and MAR on the other side. It's just that I've associated DVD-10's with "flippers" that contain different parts of the feature on each side, like Pelican Brief, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Sleepers, A Time to Kill, and V: The Original Miniseries.

Oh, and I plum forgot that Ben Hur is a DVD-18. I'll have to go edit a post elsewhere... Posted Image

------------------
DAVE/Memphis

Posted Image
Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

http://www.miami.com....ocs/000565.htm

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#10 of 19 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 12:44 PM

Just my .02 cents. I prefer 2 discs more than DVD-18s. I own a 2 disc changer but that is not the reason I like 2 discs more. I like 2 discs more because I notice less wear and tear on a disc than I do with DVD-18. I have manual dexterity problems which make it harder for me to handle a DVD-18. I guess the disc art also plays a role to Posted Image

------------------
-Keith-

-Keith-       

#11 of 19 James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted September 18 2001 - 06:29 PM

Quote:
Frankly, just buy some more shelves.
Ditto.

Or pick up some slim-line double Alphas.

But don't touch my 2-disc sets. Posted Image

#12 of 19 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 18 2001 - 08:28 PM

I know I'm in the minority

but

I LOVE DVD-18s. I would much prefer them to 2 DVD-9s.

I also hate the slimline double alphas (Cast-Away) They seem much cheaper than the regular double alpha style cases, with the little flappy disc holder - no thanks!

I think the only valid point preferring the 2 9s is if you have a caurosel player, and those should be set up to play both sides anyway!

Some of the solutions that they have come up with havent been that great either - Cleopatra for one, That paper sleeve was not good - and JFK has to be the worst one yet. That should have been a DVD-14.

I think that the DVD-14/18 is the best way to go (one good thing about IAMMMMW)

but thats just me.

honestly I hate the slimline double cases as much as Snappers! thats more of an issue for me than 2x9 vs 18
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#13 of 19 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 04:59 PM

The "artwork" on the Criterion Brazil discs isn't that big a deal; I would've rather have that be a 2-disc set with one 2-sided disc than 3 1-sided discs. I've already decided I don't like the artwork on the Phantom Menace DVDs either, I will probably paint over it in black or take it all off with rubbing alcohol. I was also offended that Tommy Lee Jones' picture was on the movie disc of "Men in Black" while Will Smith was relegated to the extras disc- Will Smith is the real star of this movie.
Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but I LIKE DVD-18's!

------------------
This videodisc is Extended Play. In this format it can offer: Chapter Search, Scan, Pause, and Dual-Channel Sound, depending on the recorded contents.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#14 of 19 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted September 19 2001 - 06:02 PM

Depends on the case. If they insists on using a slim double alpha, than I would rather them have a DVD-18. When they use the thicker cases which actually keep the discs in place, then I prefer two-discs.

------------------
My DVD's

If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

#15 of 19 TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 07:56 PM

Jesse, what do you mean about MIB? I thought all versions were identical. I've seen both R2. The standard has one disc and I'm pretty sure it has both Smith and Jones on the disc label.

The silver edition had a DVD-18 (no image there) and an extra disc, which I certainly don't remember having only one of the two main actors on the label.

As for removing the SW label with alcohol... You're never going to see it when its playing or in its case!

Personally I am a DVD-9 all the way sort of person. Double sets are good.

Theo

#16 of 19 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 02 2005 - 02:27 PM

just to bring an old topic back there is an interesting article about the problem universal is causing customers to encounter with these dvds-18's.

http://www.videobusi.../CA6288658.html

you may have to register for free.
sorry.

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 19 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted December 03 2005 - 12:19 AM

Nice read Tony, thanks. Why am i not shocked that Universal has a "No Comment" when asked about DVD-18. Just remembered, i need to look and see what Universal told Gord, if anything. And Best Buy not aware of a problem? I doubt they look at the returns to see how many are DVD-18s.

#18 of 19 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 03 2005 - 12:32 AM

Quote:
I would've rather have that be a 2-disc set with one 2-sided disc than 3 1-sided discs.
That annoys me more when one 2 sided disc is part of a mostly single sided disc collection.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#19 of 19 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted December 03 2005 - 03:08 AM

I won't buy any Dual sided discs anymore. They end up getting scratched easier, It is hard to tell which way is up, and then you have a 50% chance that it wont play corretly or it will skip.

Besides, most of my 2 disc collectors editions cases are the same size as the single disc ones. It wouldnt really give me any more room.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

Forum Nav Content I Follow