What's new

*** The OFFICIAL -ScOoTeRpAlOoZa 2k1- report thread *** (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Hi there!
While I can't comment on the quality of the hot dogs (I'm a vegetarian), I can say that the party was a blast! Lots of people, PERFECT weather, lots of food and beer .. and lots of movie talk! Oh, might I add, Ron, that your baked ziti is to *die for*! I heard that my enchilada "casserole" was almost as good :)
The movie, Exit Wounds, was a good "popcorn flick" -- your typical Steven Seagal movie with lots of action and lots of corny dialog :) We didn't have time to check out the extras, but the video presentation was damned near perfect. Very vibrant colors, no artifacts present that I could find. The surround sound was highly effective -- had me jumping a couple times. The dialog, though, did seem to be uneven -- very muffled at times, so it was hard to tell what was being said; that was the only part of the dvd that was inconsistent in quality, the rest was top-notch. Of course, I'll pick it up on release date 'coz I'm a fan of Seagal movies, but I'll be just as happy admiring the presentation as I am watching Steven Seagal kickin' butt :)
Thanks again to Scooter for hosting us -- I and my friend certainly had a lot of fun, and we're looking forward to the next party! And thanks to Ron for using some of the pix I took!
[Edited last by Dana Fillhart on August 27, 2001 at 02:11 PM]

Ned Vogler

Stunt Coordinator
I think if I had to use one word to sum up the Event that was ScooterPalooza 2k1, that word would have to be:
WOW!
What a great time I had attending this event! I brought a friend along (who's also a fellow HT buff and HTF lurker) and he's been talking about it ever since! This was truly something not to be missed!
Please allow me to be one of the first to thank Scooter for his wonderful (and humorous) hospitality!! Many thanks also to his friend Michelle, and his son Morgan who did a ton of behind-the-scenes work to make this all happen.
Scooter was a great host! As soon as we got there and introduced ourselves, he says: "So have you gotten the tour yet??" We of course said no, so he provided to bring us around his house and show us his THREE different HT setups: one in his living room, one in his bedroom, and the coupe de grace downstairs in the lounge/bar/theater area.
cool.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

It amazes me the virtual "bond" we all create with each other by being a part of the HTF community, and that is truly special indeed! Events such as ScooterPalooza allow us to solidify and enhance that bond and to continue to meet new people and to create new friendships.
I very much enjoyed being able to mingle with other HTFers, smoke a couple of fine cigars courtesy of our own Steven Simon, consume a lot of great food and drink, and top it all off with some great outdoor HT viewing!! I very much enjoyed the Muppets episode (thanks Jeff Kleist!) and a big thank you to Warner Brothers for providing the early copy of Exit Wounds!! (an excellent summer "popcorn" movie, IMHO) A not-to-be-taken-too-seriously Steven Seagal action movie, I enjoyed the car chases, the one-liners and the "chop-socky" (as Scooter put it). I particularly enjoyed the final 3 minute faux interview with Tom Arnold and Anthony Anderson. Absolutely hilarious!
All in all, it was a great time and I will most definitely be attending the ScooterPalooza 2k2!!
P.S. Scooter, what qualifications do I need to become a "Prince of Leisure"??
biggrin.gif

P.P.S. Another big thank you to Ron & Parker for helping to organize and keep us informed about this great HTF event!! GREAT JOB!
icon14.gif

[Edited last by Ned Vogler on August 27, 2001 at 02:20 PM]

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There's not much more to be said- great folks, great food, great fun! Thanks to Scooter & Ron for setting everything up! And thanks to everyone for bringing such tender victuals!
Packy, it was good to see you again, we're all glad you could make it out. And it's good to know we'll see ya in LA again too.
And that goes for everyone else, the ol' gang and the new folks too. The company is definitely what makes HTF events memorable!
As for the movie. . .well. . .I'd have to say Tom Arnold was slumming on this one. (I'm not much of a Seagal fan- I prefer the Muscles From Brussels, personally.
wink.gif
) However, the (apparently) ad-libbed bit during the closing credits was definitely worth sitting through the previous 90 minutes for! :)
See y'all next year! (If not next month. . .)

darrin

Stunt Coordinator
What an awesome event!! Me and my wife Sharon had an awesome
time and can't wait for the next one! It was really nice
to meet and chat with fellow HTF members.
Great people, great food, great fun and....Steven Seagal!!
What else can you ask for! Thanks to Scooter for hosting
this event and just being a great guy!
Thanks to Ron and Parker for putting it together!!
(Ron, I still expected you to be a little taller
wink.gif

And a BIG thanks to Warner Bros. for providing "Exit Wounds"
on DVD! Mindless fun at it's best!!
And thanks to whomever it was that made that Enchillada
caserole, IT ROCKED!!!!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I had a wonderful time, special thanks to Warner for providing something NONE of us had seen (though, I thought the title was a little off, I only counted about 3 EXIT wounds in the entire flick). If you enjoyed this movie, the DVD is a top notch presentation.
Scooter, top-notch party AS USUAL, thanks for helping satiate the hard wait for the Episode 1 DVDs with a little Pod Racing and Duel of the Fates in the Scootplex 2K1 :)
Jeff Kleist

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Being a "virgin" to the Scooterpalooza, but not to HTF local events, I was eagerly anticipating my de-flowering (Yes, Scooter was very gentle). It was a wonderful event with great people on a perfect day. Scooter, the penultimate host, is also the Lord Of The Deal. He manages to locate impossible items at amazing prices--it's incredible!
Convincing my wife, Arlene, to accompany me was no easy task. She once went with me to meet some HTF people in the city...and was disappointed in the other female attendees(approximately-zero). With a little prodding and a lot of chores promised, I convinced her to go with me. She ended up really enjoying herself. There were enough women around to talk about things other than HT (I ducked those conversations with aplomb). As we drove away, she spoke of the many conversations she enjoyed and the adorable puppies that Scooter could not persuade us to take...although it was very tempting.
Many thanks to Warner for providing us with a DVD to watch. It was a non-cerebral film, for sure, but it was ideal for a crowd that was sure to talk intermittently about the transfer and other things. We certainly were not worried that we were going to miss any crucial dialogue!
The Lion King was a nice teaser of what we don't have yet on DVD, but happy to have an LD or two lying around to pacify us. The Muppet Show was provided by someone I did not have the fortune to meet that day, but was a very welcome addition to the event.
The best part of the Scooterpalooza was seeing the fellow HTFers, old and new, in a casual relaxed atmosphere. Meeting in a Blowout Video, dining in a Virgil's, or invading private space in elevators of a hotel are not my idea of fun ways to converse with your comrades. Talking shop with enthusiasts, not company reps pushing merchandise that you do not want, is a welcome change for me. I'd like to especially thank the people that traveled from afar, like Phil Hamm and Parker Clack, who otherwise I might not have met.
Thanks again, Scooter!!
------------------
Sound InSight Audio Video
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know who it is, but the red haired guy in the 4th picture from top looks just like Harry Knowles from Aint-it-cool-news.com

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't know who it is, but the red haired guy in the 4th picture from top looks just like Harry Knowles from Aint-it-cool-news.com
That's Jeff Kleist.
If it were Harry Knowles we would
have thrown him out!
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Donald Baraf

Auditioning
"We came to the party with some trepidation.
It's the first time that we've accepted an invitation over the internet.
I sent Ron a list of question to make sure that we weren;t in jeopardy of being kidnapped
by aliens.
We came to the party and were delighted.
The only aliens that we met were movie freaks and homevideo freaks.
I've been living with my homevideo passion since 1981 when RCA Videodiscs came on the
market. My wife has been living with a constant flurry of deliveries since then.
What a treat to meet a group of people with the same passion and with a passion for film.
I enjoy the fact that I'm a good deal order than your average
forum attendee but still on the same wavelength.
So we enjoyed Scooter, his home, the Scooterplex, the Scooter drive-in and the guests and
the food and drink.
We would love to come back next year- if invited.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
My turn to chime in. First a big, I mean BIG Thank You to Scooter. Without his hospitality I would'nt have met such a wonderful bunch of HT and film geeks.
biggrin.gif
You guys are really great. Scooter, you really outdid yourself again. Fabulous. Ron, what can I say? Top notch. Oh, and a tip of the hat to Warner for "EXIT WOUNDS". A great summer popcorn flick.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Boy the party was too long for me! I got tired by about 11 when most people left so I didn't get to give many a proper goodbye!
frown.gif
Next time I'll go to bed earlier the night before!
wink.gif
I did get a second wind though, enough to enjoy the first half of "Back To The Future". Amazing how good that LD looked on that HUGE screen, considering it's vintage. "rock and roll".
Thanks Scooter for the party, and double thanks for putting me up for the night!
The real highlight for me were the Philadelphia Soft Pretzels that someone brought. I used to live in Philadelphia, and I absolutely LOVE those things. I think I ate two whole bags! Steve Simon has some great video of me chomping on one.
Thanks Steve for the Cigar, that was absolutely the best cigar I have ever smoked. I don't smoke them hardly ever now, but I used to a little. That definitely stomped on the low end Fuente, Don Diego, and Macanudos that I'm used to!
Great party, I hope to make it next year as well, and once again I'll need someplace local to stay.... :) And thanks Warner for the movie! It was very fun and perfect for the event!
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 28, 2001 at 07:41 AM]

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
This was my FOURTH Scooter event in two years.
Last year I attended the U-571 / Titan AE event and the Terminator 2 showing when the temperature dropped MUCH lower then anyone expected.
The other time we were rained out, but my friend Randy & I had a great time watching Star Wars Episode #1 in the basement system with Scooter and his sons.
Saturday was great. I got to enjoy fine party food & conversation with some of my East coast friends.
Thanks to Scooter for opening his “Electronic Paradise” to all of us Home Theater junkies and thanks to Warner for getting us the early release of Exit Wounds.
Looking forward to next year’s festivities.
Shawn S

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
quote: The real highlight for me were the Philadelphia Soft Pretzels that someone brought. I used to live in Philadelphia, and I absolutely LOVE those things. I think I ate two whole bags![/quote]
That was me! :) I'm glad you liked them, as I wanted to bring a little something from my home town.
I had a fanatastic time as well, and I met several very cool people. Thanks to Scooter, Michelle, Morgan, the lovely dogs and the teeny tiny puppies for opening their home to us. Their hospitality is matched only by their phenomenal home theater(s).
It was great to meet Ron, Parker and everyone else who showed up to talk movies. Special thanks to Harry Kn...Jeff Kleist for offering me a ride! And thanks to Warner Brothers for dropping a sneak peek of Exit Wounds for us to enjoy. A perfect movie for such an insane gaggle of people.
I strongly urge people to participate in these HTF meets if the opportunity arises. I was hesitant to attend, but I'm sincerely glad that I did. See you all next year!
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on August 27, 2001 at 10:35 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
quote: Don't know who it is, but the red haired guy in the 4th picture from top looks just like Harry Knowles from Aint-it-cool-news.com[/quote]
quote: I'd like to see a Harry/ Jeff Steel Cage Match! Take him, Jeff!!! [/quote]
You wouldn't be the first to call me Harry, I often wonder when I go into a restaurant in LA if I'm going to be jumped by someone :)
Actually, I was going thru Texas on my way back from LA, and some guy comes up to me and goes "..Are you?.." "No, I'm not Harry Knowles, but read MY much better work on DVDAngle.com!(plug plug)
Little do you know, I have quite a lot of wrestling experience :)
Oh, and I also provided the Muppet Show disc
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on August 28, 2001 at 12:26 AM]

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
Even after flying back to Newark on the afternoon of Scooterpalooza, Tamara and I were still planning on going on out to see y'all. Unfortunately, the wife was still fighting her head cold she caught on Thursday. After a dose of Thera-Flu, she was zonked. I'm certain the trans-atlantic flight had nothing to do with it.
So it looks like it'll be another year before I can see Empire's "Assault on Hoth" scene on that gorgeous basement screen, dammit.
In case y'all don't remember who "Thomas D" is, here's some photos from last year's Scootplex 2000 event. Tamara's the one wearing Scooter's Animaniacs jacket. I'm in the orange shirt on the sixth photo on this page. It's nice to put faces to the names here.
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have to say I am REALLY warmed by all the comments here and the emails I have recieved. It was a totally great day...weather....food...Hot Dogs(!!!!)..and friends!
A few people I have to thank right from the top:
Michelle...My best friend in the world!
Morgan...My son who was and is a GREAT help in things!
Greg..My other son who was here in spirit! (He is in an apprenticeship in N.C. at a playhouse working towards his carreer in theater)
Ron Epstein..With ALL he has to do on this board...he did a wonderful job of keeping everyone posted and organising this day!
Mark Harrill from Digital Eyes (My DVD supplier) ...who out of the blue offered the door prizes and bonuses for those who attended.
Josh Sabara from Warner's who bailed the party out on VERY short notice..the evening before...and got a title to us for the day "Exit Wounds"
ALL the attendees who came, had fun...and gave each other of themselves and friendships!
I enjoy entertaining...and LOVE movies. It all comes together at these parties. Meeting the folks from here for the first time...especially Parker who flew in from the heartland...as well as those I have met in the past. If possible I would like to have another this fall...
The info and support I have gotten from the HTF has been invaluable as I got deeper into my dream of my own HT! I am glad to be able to give a little bit back! And..having the Sabrett Cart...well..icing on the cake!!!! So on behalf of my family...thank you all..and hope to see even more of you at the next one!
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/scooter3/party.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/scooter2/index.html

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
It sounds like this event is a smashing success every year! One day I am going to have to make the trip out east. :)
Hey Dana! For those of us who didn't have the opportunity to test that great enchilada casserole, why don't you consider posting the recipe? It sounds FANTASTIC! That is, if it's not a family secret.
wink.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I definitely have to extend thanks to Mark Harrill for his door prizes--my wife won a $100 gift certificate, which just about makes up for the traffic on the Cross-Bronx that day.
Jeff Kleist-I'll definitely strike up a conversation with you next time.
Ned Vogler-Sorry! Arlene's head is blocking you out of that group photo.
Scott Weinberg-Philly soft pretzels?!? Where were they? I hope they were the Amish type from Reading terminal.
I am looking forward to the next Scooter-Palooza also!
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks