What's new

placement of components in rack? (1 Viewer)

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
I trying to decide how to place my components on the shelves I'm using. The A/V receiver goes on the bottom shelf. That leaves 3 shelves and 4 components:

DISH receiver
DVD player
CD changer
VCR

The shelves are completely open with plenty of room between shelves, so ventilation won't be a problem. The CD changer is probably the least used component, with the VCR next. I thought maybe I could set the DVD player on top of the CD changer. Think that would be ok? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Jack

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, players dont really give off much heat. You just need to give the amps/receiver plenty of room to breathe and keep cool. I wouldn't put things on top of that as it would restrict airflow, and I'f make sure it has plenty of room around and above it. And ALSO make sure it's not on carpet, it can't have the intakes (at the bottom usually) clogged or it will just roast and shut itself off. People often forget that part. Also, some amps run REALLY hot by their design, so depending, I might leave ample space or a non-important component on the shelf above it, so that all that extra heat doesnt damage it/reduce the lifespan. This usually isn't very much of a problem. As for where specifically you should put thigns, receiver on the bottom shelf, on the top, it varies on how convenient you want things. I keep my receiver on top as i find it more convenient to sit down and hunt for cds and use my cd player down low, and theres nothing above the receiver at all, so it stays very cool.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Receiver on the bottom is a great idea. It lets the speaker wires flow out without obscuring anything else.

Above the receiver put the Dish receiver (you dont touch it anyway). Then going up:

CD changer
VCR
DVD

This puts the most-used items on the upper shelves and working down to least-used/touched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks