Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

placement of components in rack?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:52 PM

I trying to decide how to place my components on the shelves I'm using. The A/V receiver goes on the bottom shelf. That leaves 3 shelves and 4 components: DISH receiver DVD player CD changer VCR The shelves are completely open with plenty of room between shelves, so ventilation won't be a problem. The CD changer is probably the least used component, with the VCR next. I thought maybe I could set the DVD player on top of the CD changer. Think that would be ok? Any other recommendations? Thanks, Jack

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

• 4,791 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, players dont really give off much heat. You just need to give the amps/receiver plenty of room to breathe and keep cool. I wouldn't put things on top of that as it would restrict airflow, and I'f make sure it has plenty of room around and above it. And ALSO make sure it's not on carpet, it can't have the intakes (at the bottom usually) clogged or it will just roast and shut itself off. People often forget that part. Also, some amps run REALLY hot by their design, so depending, I might leave ample space or a non-important component on the shelf above it, so that all that extra heat doesnt damage it/reduce the lifespan. This usually isn't very much of a problem. As for where specifically you should put thigns, receiver on the bottom shelf, on the top, it varies on how convenient you want things. I keep my receiver on top as i find it more convenient to sit down and hunt for cds and use my cd player down low, and theres nothing above the receiver at all, so it stays very cool.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

• 5,183 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 03:46 PM

Receiver on the bottom is a great idea. It lets the speaker wires flow out without obscuring anything else. Above the receiver put the Dish receiver (you dont touch it anyway). Then going up: CD changer VCR DVD This puts the most-used items on the upper shelves and working down to least-used/touched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users