What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Alien: Quadrilogy" w/ ton's of screenshots! Highly Recommended! (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Sorry for the lateness of this review guys, I only got it a week ago, and its been a rough week with the wife out of town for 2 1-2 weeks! I almost threw in the towel a few times, but was allready half way through screenshots.

I just about for sure gave up after I saw the DVD talk review. OMG!! This is when I knew my review had to be slightly different to be of any use to you guys. Hopefully it is.

Let me know if there are any broken links, and I will fine tooth it for grammer later. Sorry, I just needed to get "QUAD" off my back.

Next up, League of EG! WOW, what a soundtrack!!!

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
Wow thanks for the great review. I like the format you picked for this review. Lots of screen caps.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
HAHAHAHAHA..... mmmmmmm... that good, eh?

I am glad I just switched web hosting, otherwise this review could have never happened!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Ulp! I was going to try hard to resist this one. Espescially since I own the Legacy box set. But you are certainly not making it easy, Adam! Nice review!

What's the price on this monster, anyway? 100 bucks?

Ric

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Nice review.

I am only interested in the first movie and look forward to its individual release in January. Good to hear the transfer is near perfect - I've held off from the buying the original for so long.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
that did it Adam.
the screenshots for Alien convinced me to pick this up next week (if i can find it for under $80).

i'm really curious now to a/b it with the old disc.
i pulled it out the other day, and it really didn't look too bad at all- especially considering this was done in '99.
the screenshots though look pretty sweet.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I have the money saved up for this monster next week, so I will be prepare to comfront all the nasty monsters next week. And I don't mean Christmas shoppers. :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Cheers for the review, love the pics. I will wait until January to pick up Alien and Aliens. Sorry, as pretty as the boxset is, its the first two I want.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Cant wait to get mine in the mail. 62 bucks from amazon with share the love seems to be the best deal on this set. Thats about 15 bucks a movie which is what release day prices on single now a days are :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If this had 3/4 good movies then I would be all for it. But I can't force myself to spend $70 bucks on two good movies.

I can't stop laughing at DVD files review of the alien 4 movie.

If anyone can explain to me what that rubbery alien-baby thing is at the end, please call
But it does look like FOX did an amazing job on this set so I'll definately have to think about this one. I can see an impulse 'buy-and-run-without-thinking' purchase in the near future. I'll regret it but oh well, you only live once.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely buying this. I just hope those DTS lockups were an aberration and not another frickin' swap-by-mail waiting to happen (ala Monty Python, Bond, and BTTF)...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
From the Dolby 5.1 encoded soundtrack description from this review on Aliens it sounds like Fox didn't remix this movie and used the same so-so 4.1 mix as the last DVD. That sucks!

This movie had the greatest opportunity for atmospheric sound effects, LFE impact, and split surround usage using the 5.1 or 6.1 (w/DTS-ES) palete and a better (or at least equal) film compared to Alien.

Why Fox, why? Didn't Cameron supervise this transfer?

Dan

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
This set gets my vote for DVD of the year & Fox for studio of the year.

Adam:

Concerning the dts drop outs on Alien. I did not experience any problems with the dts track on Alien. I've watched both the theatrical version & directors cut in dts without a problem. I'm using a RCA 5220 dvd player connected via optical cables to a Yamaha HTR-5650 reciever. Haven't touched Resurrection yet. Probbally won't until late next week.

Joe

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Good review Adam, thanks for the time you took with all the screenshots.Ill be picking my set up bright and early on the 2nd !:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks