Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: "Alien: Quadrilogy" w/ ton's of screenshots! Highly Recommended!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#1 of 147 Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

Alien : QUADRILOGY

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Year: 2003

Rated: R

Directed by: Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher, Jean Pierre Jeunet

Film Length: 84 Minutes

Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1 & 2.35:1

Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 on “Alien” & “Alien: Resurrection”
Subtitled in English and Spanish

Bonus features:
Over 56 Hours of bonus footage across all 9 disks
[/b]
Release Date: December 2nd, 2003

The Set...

[/b]

Well, not much I can say about this set that you don’t already know. It’s absolutely massive, and absolutely mind-boggling! This is the craziest set I have even seen, and especially ever had the pleasure of owning. I think it may have even been a mistake that I got the set, and I suspect it may not have been sent to me for review, but for my collection, but I decided I would tackle it anyway. Usually we get the review copies that have no UPC codes and no inserts and are usually a month in advance. I got this set about a week ago, and I think only because Ron asked for it. So, I apologize that the review is late. Secondly, there are already plenty of VERY THOUROUGH reviews out there, so I figured to make my review different, I am only listing the extras, and only reviewing the picture quality and sound quality, but, I am giving you an INSANE amount of screen shots, menu shots, and packaging shots to sort of make up for lack of review. So, here it goes…….

CHECK OUT THE PACKAGING!:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

See the rest of the packaging shots here!

CHECK OUT THE DISKS!:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

See the rest of the disk shots here!

Alien

Directed by: Ridley Scott,

Film Length: Theatrical Version: 01:56:29

Film Length: Directors Cut: 01:55:42

Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1

Audio:THX English 5.1 Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1

Movie...

[/b]

Ah, the first film to kick off this wild ride over 2 decades ago! Many people feel that this movie was the best of all of the Alien movies! I watched the Directors Cut version of Alien for this review. Boy o’ boy, did they do a great job restoring this puppy!

Here is the synopsis from FOX:
Alien is the first movie of one of the most popular sagas in science fiction history, and introduces Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, the iron-willed woman destined to battle the galaxy’s ultimate creature. The terror begins when the crew of a spaceship investigates a transmission from a desolate planet, and discovers a life form that is perfectly evolved to annihilate mankind. One be one, each crew member is slain until only Ripley is left, leading to an explosive conclusion that sets the stage for its stunning sequel, Aliens.

Picture...

[/b]

Picture quality for this DVD was PHENOMINAL!!! Presented in 2:35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen.

There must have been painstaking effort put into restoring this film! Fox sure did a great job! The detail of the film is absolutely amazing at times! I have included screen shots of scenes that jumped out at me with extreme detail while I was watching Alien. Some scenes almost look HD, they are that stunning. I wrote down three scenes in my notebook while watching. The first is at the 46:25 mark, it’s a close-up of a face with great detail. Another note comes at 49:15 minute mark, it’s the dissection of the “face hugger”. And there is a great close up of Ripley at the 01:45:25 mark. Perhaps the best detailed scene comes where the face hugger is tightening its grip on Kane’s throat, and they show an extreme close-up. WOW! Is the only word that comes to mind.

The skin tones are spot on perfect. Colors are good, although there is not much color in the film. Black levels are perfect! I myself noticed no film dirt at all, and I couldn’t detect any edge enhancement. Do yourself a favor and watch all of the Alien movies in a row, and then go back and pop in Alien. You will really notice the difference after you watch the inferior picture of the other 3 movies to this one. It’s almost too bad they couldn’t have given all 4 disks the royal treatment!

Overall, a perfect transfer!

SEE FOR YOURSELF!: (click on the picture for a bigger version of the screen-shot)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More screen shots from "Alien" here!

Picture Quality Rating:
Picture: 5 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sound...

[/b]

The DVD is mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

I have to say, that for a 20 year old film, they sound is pretty good, but, it definitely does not match the stunning picture quality! Dialog isn’t really centered on the center channel, it’s more spread across of the front three. Music is also kind of spread across the three front channels. Surround is more of an ambience than anything. Not really any defined effects that I noticed, but the surround is there, contributing a fullness throughout the movie. You notice the surrounds mostly in scenes of the outside storm with the howling wind, and of the ship undocking ,and with some of the soundtrack as well. The special effects don’t really sound all that good turned up loud though, in my opinion. They are a bit harsh and crackly. But, what can you expect when it was derived off of a mono track?

The DTS version I’d say is definitely the preferred track for this movie. The dialog gets a bit more centered, and a little less “hollow” sounding. It also cleans up some of the special effects like the howling wind and the ship undocking. It makes them sound a little more defined and less harsh. Voices are also more defined and clearer with the DTS track, with less breakup.

Now, for the EXTREMELY bad! I have no idea if I have a bad copy of this Quadrilogy set or what the problem is, but I had consistent lockups with the DTS track! When listening with the DTS track, my DVD player would just lockup during a scene! You could rewind it a few seconds back wards, and it would get stuck every single time on the exact same spot! You have to cue it forward to “break” the lock. You can tell that every time the lockup happened, it was as the film was moving to another camera angle in the scene. I checked and rechecked every single lock up, with moving backwards a few seconds, and letting it relock on the same minute mark three or four times each. I would also be sure to play the DD track on the very spot. The DD track never had any issues at all.

The DTS track lockups I had for this disk are at the following minute marks:
00:07:46 / 00:23:09 / 00:36:58 / 00:45:22 / 01:09:31 / 01:18:18 / 01:24:04 / 01:29:58

My player is the Denon 2900 DVD/DVD-A/SACD. I have never had a single problem with any DTS track. These lockups also occur on the DTS track for Alien: Resurrection in this Quadrilogy set. Look for the minute marks in that section of this review. Hopefully we will find out if my set was a defect, or if other people are having the problems.

LFE is virtually non existent. I didn’t notice my sub amp light go off even once! It’s ok though, it doesn’t take away from the movie. Keeping in mind the movie was made almost 25 years ago, I don’t mind the lack of LFE.

Sound Quality Rating:
Sound: 3 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Extras...

This DVD has a ton of extras! [/b]

Here are the extras listed for “Alien”

•The original 1979 theatrical version of Alien and the 2003 Director’s cut
•An introduction by Director Ridley Scott, Dan O’Bannon, Sigourney Weaver, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt and more
•Brand new commentary by Ridley Scott and the technical crew
•Nine brand new documentaries: “Star Beast” — On developing the Alien story; “The Visualists” — the direction and design of the film; “Truckers In Space” — Casting the movie; “Fear Of The Unknown” — Behind the scenes at Shepperton Studios in 1978; “The Darkest Reaches” — Developing the Nostromo and Alien planet; “The Eight Passenger” — Creating the Alien; “Future Tense” — Focusing on the music and editing of Alien; “Outward Bound” — Peering into the film’s visual effects; “A Nightmare Fulfilled”
— Reaction to the film’s opening
•A Multi-Angle Scene Study on the Chestburster sequence with optional commentary by Ridley Scott and the production team
•Sigourney Weaver’s original screen test with optional commentary by Ridley Scott
•Seven deleted scenes with a deleted footage marker and deleted scene index
•The first draft of the screenplay by Dan O’Bannon
•Ridleygrams — Original thumbnails and sketches by Ridley Scott
•Storyboard Archives
•The Art of Alien including a cast portrait gallery, production gallery, the sets of Alien, H.R. Giger’s Workshop, continuity polaroids and VFX gallery
•The original theatrical posters and stills from the premiere

Menus...

[/b]

CHECK OUT THE NAVIGATION FOR DISK 1 & 2:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More menu shots from "Alien" here!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aliens

Directed by: James Cameron

Film Length: Theatrical Version: 02:17:02

Film Length: Special Edition: 02:34:15

Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1

Audio:THX English 5.1 Dolby Digital

Movie...

[/b]

This film is my all time favorite of all of the Aliens films. This is the film where you really get to see Ripley kick some major Alien booty, and save the day. It’s just an awesome flick, and I have always loved this movie.

In this action-packed sequel to Alien, Sigourney Weaver returns as Ripley, the only survivor from mankind’s first encounter with the monstrous Alien. Her account of the Alien and the fate of her crew are received with skepticism - until the mysterious disappearance of colonists on LV-426 leads her to join a team of high-tech colonial marines sent in to investigate.

Picture...

[/b]

Picture quality for this DVD was good! Presented in 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen.

Unfortunately, the picture quality on this DVD, is not up to snuff if you just got done watching “Alien”. The level of detail is not as good, and there is a lot more video noise and compression in “Aliens”. I think the detail would have been better with a tad less video noise. It’s too bad they couldn’t have at least given Aliens the same transfer as the first movie, as I think this movie was the best one.

Skin tones are good, although a bit on the pale or cool side. Colors seemed a tad flat at times, but I feel this was intentional to get the film a more “desperate” or “sterile” feel to space. Black levels were super black on this disk, and you should get a good idea from the screen shots. There was the occasional film dirt that I noticed, and I managed to get some screenshots with film dirt on them.

Overall, a pretty good transfer!

SEE FOR YOURSELF!: (click on the picture for a bigger version of the screen-shot)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More screen shots from "Aliens" here!

Picture Quality Rating:
Picture: 4 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sound...

[/b]

The DVD is mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I think Aliens, has a pretty good sound mix going on. The dialog is better centered on screen, and the soundtrack is more separated into the left and right channels than Alien. I wish there could have been a little more direct use of the surrounds however, especially with this movie being loaded with explosions, and automatic gunfire. Most of the effects are handled by the front three channels. But, the surrounds do add a constant “widening” of the soundstage, with everything sounding fuller, because you have the rear channels providing echoes. The soundtrack also has fullness to it as well.

LFE is at least somewhat present on this DVD, with the biggest LFE notables coming in at the 01:24:00 mark (Evacuation), the 02:01:00 mark (Suicide grenade), the 02:14:00 (Fried Eggs), 02:22:00 (Nuke), and 2:25:00 (Robot Ripley).

Overall, fairly good sound for an older movie! I just really wish they could have done more.

Sound Quality Rating:
Sound: 3 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Extras...

Here are the extras listed for “Aliens”

•The original theatrical version - available for the first time ever on DVD - and James Cameron’s special edition version of Aliens
•An introduction by Director James Cameron
•Brand new commentary by James Cameron, Michael Biehn, Jenette Goldstein, Carrie Henn, Terry Henn. Lance Henriksen, Gale Anne Hurd, Pat McClung, Bill Paxton, Dennis Skotak. Robert Skotak and Stan Winston
•James Cameron original treatment
•Nine brand new featurettes: “57 Years Later” - Continuing the saga; “Building Better Worlds” - From
concept to construction; “Preparing For Battle” - Casting and characterization; “This Time It’s War” — A look back at Pinewood Studios, 1985; “The Risk Always Lives” - Weapons and action; “Bug Hunt” — Creature design; “Beauty And The Bitch” — Power Loader vs. Queen Alien; “Two Orphans — Revisiting Sigoumey Weaver And Carrie Henn; and “Aliens Unleashed” — Reaction to the film
•The Art of Aliens including conceptual art portfolio, cast portraits, production gallery, continuity polaroids, Stan Winston’s workshop, VFX gallery and premiere stills
•Deleted footage marker and deleted scene index
•Multi-angle videomatics with optional commentary by Miniature Effect Supervisor, Pat McClung
•An Easter Egg

Menus...

[/b]

CHECK OUT THE NAVIGATION FOR DISK 3 & 4:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More menu shots from "Aliens" here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alien 3

Directed by: David Fincher

Film Length: Theatrical Version: 01:54:45

Film Length: Special Edition: 02:24:44

Audio:THX English 5.1 Dolby Digital

Movie...

[/b]

The tragic 3rd installment of Aliens. This is the movie that pretty much wrecked the Aliens storyline, in my opinion. Aliens 3 is nowhere near that of the previous 2 movies, and the Alien “blue screen” special effects are nearly laughable. However, I do like the movie because Ripley still kicks ass and chews bubblegum. Although, the Special Edition version is the only version to watch if you ask me, it’s a much more palatable version of the film. This is the version I reviewed.

Lt. Ripley (Weaver) is the lone survivor when her crippled spaceship crash lands on Fiorina 161, a bleak wasteland inhabited by former inmates of the planet’s maximum security prison. Ripley’s fears that an Alien was aboard her craft are confirmed when the mutilated bodies of ex-cons begin to mount. Without weapons or modern technology of any kind, Ripley must lead the men into battle against the terrifying creature. And soon she discovers a horrifying fact about her link with the Alien, a realization that may compel Ripley to try destroying not only the horrific creature but herself as well.
to investigate.

Picture...

[/b]

Picture quality for this DVD was very good! Presented in 2:35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen.

According to Fox, they restored the film the best that they could. It’s not the best, but it is pretty darn nice. "Aliens 3" has the best quality picture next to the restored Alien. The colors have moved away from a blue and cold palette to a warmer orange and olive palette. Skin tones are very accurate and look very nice. Detail is extremely good in most scenes and I have captured a couple of screenshots that I believe show off that very nice detail. This DVD is very good on the close-ups. Black levels are very good, although Aliens has Alien 3 slightly edged out. This DVD also has less compression and background video noise than Aliens. I didn’t really notice any film dirt or edge enhancement, but I will say again, I am not the best person to spot EE.

Overall, a very nice transfer!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More screen shots from "Alien 3" here!

Picture Quality Rating:

Sound...

[/b]

The DVD is mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I think Alien 3 has a very nice sound mix to it. The best out of the first 3 so far, the mix is more enveloping. Dialog is much better centered on screen, and the soundtrack is bold and involving. Stereo separation is very good. Most of the action is in the front three channels, and the panning from left to right is done well. Surrounds are more active in the 3rd movie, adding a fuller ambience to “alien” noises, and screams and echoes. The surround sound was particularly good at the 01:58:00 minute mark, where the prisoners were running from the Alien down the corridors. Best surround in the movie.

There is also much less distortion than in the first two movies. Voices are clearer, and sound effects sound cleaner. The only issue really is when you are watching the Special Edition, the scenes that were added back in, have very low audio. The DVD warns you of this in the beginning however, and tell you that the low dialog and sound effects will be subtitled, in which they are.

LFE was much better for this movie. There is always a nice low rumbling presence, and sound effects just have a bit more bite. I noticed particularly good LFE at the 00:42:00 minute mark (Fan Rumbling), and at 01:20:00 (Explosions). LFE was good throughout, but these are scenes I made particular note of.

Sound Quality Rating:
Sound: 4 / 5

Extras...

Here are the extras listed for “Alien 3”

•The original theatrical version and a restored pre-release version with more than 30 minutes of never- before-seen footage
•Brand new commentary by Cinematographer Alex Thompson, Editor Terry Rawlings, VFX Designers Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr., Visual Effects Producer Richard Edlund, and actors Paul McGann and Lance Henriksen
•11 new featurettes: “Development” — Concluding the story; “Tales Of The Wooden Planet” — Vincent
Ward’s vision; “Pre-Production III” — The making of Alien 3; “Xeno-Erotic” — H.R. Giger’s redesign of the Alien creature; “Production: Part One, Part Two, and Part Three” — Behind-the-scenes on the production of the movie; “Adaptive Organism” — Creature design; “Optical
Fury” — Visual effects; “Music, Editing And Sound”; and “Post-Mortem” — A reaction to the film
•E.E.V. Bio-Scan — A multi-angle vignette with optional commentary by Alex Gillis
•The Art of Alien 3 including conceptual art portfolio, production gallery, and visual effects
•Furnace construction time lapse
•Storyboard archives

Menus...

[/b]

CHECK OUT THE NAVIGATION FOR DISK 5 & 6:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More menu shots from "Alien 3" here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alien: Resurrection

Directed by: Jean Pierre Jeunet

Film Length: Theatrical Version: 01:48:43

Film Length: Directors Cut: 01:56:02

Audio:THX English 5.1 Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1

Movie...

[/b]

The last and final Aliens movie….. so far. This movie is a mixed bag for me. I sort of like it, and I sort of don’t like it. Some of the story line is too far stretched for me, and W. Rider stands out like a sore thumb. Overall, it’s an ok movie, and I like that they got away from the blue screen Alien, and back to basics.

Ellen Ripley (Weaver) died fighting the perfect predator. Two hundred years and eight horrific experiments later she’s back. A group of scientists has cloned her-along with the alien queen inside her - hoping to breed the ultimate weapon. But the resurrected Ripley is full of surprises for her “creators,” as are the aliens they’ve imprisoned. And soon, a lot more than “all hell” breaks loose. To combat the creatures, Ripley must team up with a band of smugglers, including a mechanic named Call (Winona Ryder), who holds more than a few surprises of her own.

Picture...

[/b]

Picture quality for this DVD was fairly good!!! Presented in 2:35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen. This is a review of the Special Edition.

The picture is very nice. The detail is there in abundance, and I hopefully captured that with some of my screenshots. Although it seems at time the picture is just a tad soft, case in point; Ripley in the cafeteria talking with the scientists.

The little color that is used, comes out very good. Resurrection seems to have more of the green color palette, and is not quite as warm as Alien 3.

I didn’t notice any film dirt, and the background video noise is more abundant that Alien 3. I didn’t notice any compression to really make mention of, and I didn’t catch any EE. The one thing that did bother me about the picture was the lack of black level. Nowhere in the entire movie is the black, really black. It’s almost black with an olive tone to it. There are a lot of dark scenes in the movie, and not having a solid black, is really disappointing. Resurrection has the worst black levels of the 4 movies.

Still, overall, a very good transfer!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More screen shots from "Alien: Resurrection" here!

Picture Quality Rating:

Sound...

[/b]

The DVD is mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

This DVD has the best sound out of all of the Alien movies, and it should, for only coming out in 97’. The dialog was very bold and centered, and the left to right pans are very strong. Music and soundtrack has a very bold separation between channels. Surround sound is the most active in this movie that the previous three. More info is sent to the rears, giving you the best Alien sound mix yet. Explosions and gunfire echo more, and the overall ambience is strong, from soundtrack to sound effects.

The DTS track definitely adds spaciousness to the mix. Every big sound effect, I made sure to went back and forth a few times with the DD track the and DTS, and the DTS won the battle each time. Although, I’d say not nearly as much as some movies where the DTS audio is much better. The DTS track for Resurrection, adds more of a 3-D realism and airy-ness, to the audio. You get better echo decay, and a bit more clarity in the soundtrack and special effects.

Now for the bummer, the DTS locked up in this movie as well. I have a Denon 2900 and have NEVER had a single issue with any audio track until now.

The DTS lockups are as follows:
00:00:03 (before 20th Century Fox Logo) / 00:10:10 / 00:22:16 / 01:06:01 / and 01:26:57

LFE was the best of the 4 movies in Resurrection. Finally, a pounding and hard hitting bass with the audio effects this time around. Notes I made of scenes with the strongest LFE, the best surround sound are: 00:38:00 (Gun fight), 00:45:00 (Evacuation), 01:01:00 (Alien experiments), 01:32:32 (synthetic accessing computer *best DTS comparison*), 01:46:50 (Re-entering Earths atmosphere *best and strongest LFE of the movie)

Sound Quality Rating:
Sound: 4 / 5

Extras...

Here are the extras listed for “Alien: Resurrection”

•The original theatrical version and an extended cut with alternate opening and ending sequences
•An introduction by Director Jean Pierre Jeunet
•Brand new commentary by Director Jean Pierre Jeunet, Herve Schneid, Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr., Pitof, Sylvain Despretz, Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon and Leland Orser
•First draft of the screenplay by Joss Whedon
•11 new featurettes: “From The Ashes” — Reviving the story; “French Twist” — Direction and design; “Under The Skin” — Casting and characters; “Death From Below” — Underwater photography; “In The Zone” — Basketball scene; “Unnatural Mutation” — Creature design, “Genetic Mutation” — Creature design; “Genetic Composition” — A listen to the music; “Virtual Alien” — Computer generated imagery; “A Matter Of Scale” — Miniature photography; and “Critical Junction” — A reaction to the film
•Multi-angel rehearsal footage
•A Mike Carro photo gallery, a conceptual art gallery. VFX gallery, a promotional photo archive and continuity polaroids
•Storyboard archives
•An Easter Egg

Menus...

[/b]

CHECK OUT THE NAVIGATION FOR DISK 7 & 8:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More menu shots from "Alien: Resurrection" here!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus Disk 9

Here are the extras listed for “Alien: Resurrection”

•A brand new Q&A with Ridley Scott
•“Experience in Terror” — A promotional featurette from 1979
•“Alien Evolution” —Channel 4 U.K. exclusive documentary on Alien
•A complete laser disc archive of Alien and Aliens
•Original theatrical trailers and TV spots from all four films
•“Aliens In The Basement” — Inside the Bob Burns ALIEN Collection
•Dark Horse cover gallery — Anthology of 11 issues of the ALlEN comics
•DVD-ROM feature — Script to screen comparisons

CHECK OUT THE NAVIGATION FOR DISK 9:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More menu shots here!

Extras / Bonus Features Rating(a mind boggling 56 hours of extras!)
Extras: 10 / 5
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Conclusion...

“Alien Quadrilogy” is simply mind boggling. There is so much stuff in this set, you are instantly overwhelmed by it all. If you are a fan of the Aliens movie saga, well, your going to be a pig in sh!t when you get this set. I just don’t know how else to put it. Posted Image

I am giving “Quadrilogy” the SUPER DUPER HIGHLY RECOMMENDED stamp of approval! Don’t walk, RUN, to buy it!!!!

This has been,
[/b] Posted Image

#2 of 147 Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:25 PM

Sorry for the lateness of this review guys, I only got it a week ago, and its been a rough week with the wife out of town for 2 1-2 weeks! I almost threw in the towel a few times, but was allready half way through screenshots.

I just about for sure gave up after I saw the DVD talk review. OMG!! This is when I knew my review had to be slightly different to be of any use to you guys. Hopefully it is.

Let me know if there are any broken links, and I will fine tooth it for grammer later. Sorry, I just needed to get "QUAD" off my back.

Next up, League of EG! WOW, what a soundtrack!!!

#3 of 147 FrankT

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:40 PM

Wow thanks for the great review. I like the format you picked for this review. Lots of screen caps.

#4 of 147 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:41 PM

.......m.....m......my nipples are hard.........Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#5 of 147 Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHA..... mmmmmmm... that good, eh?

I am glad I just switched web hosting, otherwise this review could have never happened!

#6 of 147 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,811 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 01:00 PM

Ulp! I was going to try hard to resist this one. Espescially since I own the Legacy box set. But you are certainly not making it easy, Adam! Nice review!

What's the price on this monster, anyway? 100 bucks?

Ric

#7 of 147 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 01:10 PM

$70 @ Amazon.com, or like $62 with share-the-love @ Amazon.com.

Damn I am so jealous!!!!!

#8 of 147 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 01:31 PM

Nice review.

I am only interested in the first movie and look forward to its individual release in January. Good to hear the transfer is near perfect - I've held off from the buying the original for so long.

#9 of 147 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 01:41 PM

that did it Adam.
the screenshots for Alien convinced me to pick this up next week (if i can find it for under $80).

i'm really curious now to a/b it with the old disc.
i pulled it out the other day, and it really didn't look too bad at all- especially considering this was done in '99.
the screenshots though look pretty sweet.

#10 of 147 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 02:04 PM

Can someone put a picture of the packaging fully folded out next to an adult?
My Collection

#11 of 147 Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 02:59 PM

I have the money saved up for this monster next week, so I will be prepare to comfront all the nasty monsters next week. And I don't mean Christmas shoppers. Posted Image
I need a new signature.

#12 of 147 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 03:07 PM

lol, that's the hugest package ever...

and I never thought I'd say that while not watching porn...

#13 of 147 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:01 PM

Cheers for the review, love the pics. I will wait until January to pick up Alien and Aliens. Sorry, as pretty as the boxset is, its the first two I want.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#14 of 147 Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:18 PM

Cant wait to get mine in the mail. 62 bucks from amazon with share the love seems to be the best deal on this set. Thats about 15 bucks a movie which is what release day prices on single now a days are Posted Image

#15 of 147 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:35 PM

If this had 3/4 good movies then I would be all for it. But I can't force myself to spend $70 bucks on two good movies.

I can't stop laughing at DVD files review of the alien 4 movie.

Quote:
If anyone can explain to me what that rubbery alien-baby thing is at the end, please call

But it does look like FOX did an amazing job on this set so I'll definately have to think about this one. I can see an impulse 'buy-and-run-without-thinking' purchase in the near future. I'll regret it but oh well, you only live once.

#16 of 147 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:56 PM

I'm definitely buying this. I just hope those DTS lockups were an aberration and not another frickin' swap-by-mail waiting to happen (ala Monty Python, Bond, and BTTF)...

#17 of 147 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 05:19 PM

From the Dolby 5.1 encoded soundtrack description from this review on Aliens it sounds like Fox didn't remix this movie and used the same so-so 4.1 mix as the last DVD. That sucks!

This movie had the greatest opportunity for atmospheric sound effects, LFE impact, and split surround usage using the 5.1 or 6.1 (w/DTS-ES) palete and a better (or at least equal) film compared to Alien.

Why Fox, why? Didn't Cameron supervise this transfer?

Dan

#18 of 147 Kevin_H

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 05:39 PM

Let me know if there are any broken links

The following are broken links:

http://slaggbot.com/....diskshots.html
http://slaggbot.com/...uad1menu_04.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/....screen_073.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/....screen_124.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/....screen_131.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/....screen_182.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/....screen_193.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/....screen_204.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/...uad7menu_04.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/...uad8menu_02.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/...uad8menu_04.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/...uad8menu_06.jpg

The Alien 3 more screenshot link links to the Aliens more screen shot link:
http://slaggbot.0cat....en2screen.html
changing "alien2" to "alien3" links to the correct page.

Alien 3 language menu and Theatrical main menu links to a Aliens link:
http://slaggbot.com/...uad5menu_05.jpg
http://slaggbot.com/...uad5menu_06.jpg
changing "alien2" to "alien3" links to the correct page.

#19 of 147 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 11:06 PM

This set gets my vote for DVD of the year & Fox for studio of the year.

Adam:

Concerning the dts drop outs on Alien. I did not experience any problems with the dts track on Alien. I've watched both the theatrical version & directors cut in dts without a problem. I'm using a RCA 5220 dvd player connected via optical cables to a Yamaha HTR-5650 reciever. Haven't touched Resurrection yet. Probbally won't until late next week.

Joe

#20 of 147 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 11:45 PM

Good review Adam, thanks for the time you took with all the screenshots.Ill be picking my set up bright and early on the 2nd !Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.