Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CTHE Press Release: "WHAT'S HAPPENING!!: The Complete First Season"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 10:16 AM

Funky and Cult-Classic 70's Urban TV Comedy Sitcom
From the Producer of "Sanford and Son"

************************************************** ***************************************
WHAT'S HAPPENING!!: The Complete First Season
************************************************** ****************************************

Collectible Three-Disc Set Features 21 Hilarious Episodes
Available For the First Time on DVD February 3, 2004
* * * * Culver City, CA (November 24, 2003) - Hey Hey Hey! *Dig out your bell-bottoms and
rainbow suspenders, comb out your Afro and laugh again and again with the old-school friends
from the funny, funky late-70's TV comedy classic, WHAT'S HAPPENING!! *Debuting in a
three-disc DVD set on February 3 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, WHAT'S
HAPPENING!! THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON is jam-packed with the funniest moments on
all 21 episodes from the show's first season that aired on ABC Television.

Join Rerun, Dwayne, Raj, Shirley, Dee and Mama with the complete hilarious first
season with classic episodes including everything from Rerun's dance moves to Raj and
Dwayne's crush on the same girl, from Dee running away to Shirley getting fired from the soda
shop and much more. *Based on the 1975 movie Cooley High, WHAT'S HAPPENING!! centers
on three African-American high school friends growing up in urban Los Angeles, and their
tendency for getting into trouble through their get-rich-quick schemes.

Executive produced by Bud Yorkin ("Sanford and Son"), WHAT'S HAPPENING!!
starred Fred Berry, Ernest Thomas, Haywood Nelson, Shirley Hemphill, Danielle Spencer, and
Mabel King, plus featured special guest stars including Dick Van Patten and radio icon Wolfman
Jack during the first season.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
* * * * Digitally Mastered Audio & Video
* * * * Fullscreen Presentation
* * * * Audio: *English
* * * * Episode Selections

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Sergio Z.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 11:29 AM

awesome!! Can't wait, Dee is the best!!!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 25 2003 - 07:51 PM

I just watched the first episode on disc one, and the show's as good as I remember! I love Dee, too! Posted Image

Quality is about on par with the other '70s discs from Columbia, such as Sanford and Son and the Jeffersons. It's hard to judge it against broadcast, as I haven't seen the show on TV in years, but I imagine it looks better than it did there. It's kind of a mixed bag. Certain clothes look bright and colorful, but it's all surrounded by that dull '70s wallpaper and furniture that was so prevalent on these shows. Plus, it's on videotape, so that's going to dull it up. But, it looks just fine, and if you can live with the other discs mentioned above, you'll be okay with this, I think.

By going through Time-Life, I'm probably paying more than what stores will be asking. Plus, I get the extra Time-Life logo to sit through before the Columbia/Tri-Star logos come up. That's the price you pay for getting it early! Had to do it, though, as one of the sets will be a fine Christmas present for my sister. Posted Image