What's new

Soap! How did it do? Do we know? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I hope it did well. I picked up the set having never seen the show before (it's cheap) and loved it and would hate to be without the rest of the series.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Columbia rarely makes sales information public. Most info is anecdotal (retailers commenting that "this sold very well" or "this sold poorly"). I must admit that I never heard one way or the other regarding Soap, though. It probably was somewhere up the middle.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
even though I watched it on a regular basis in my teens....I dont remember much. I do remember some things that were not in season 1...so I cant wait to get the rest.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I also would like to see season 2 released. I thoroughly enjoyed season 1!

JimmyK

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I bought it and will buy more, but I do have a couple complaints. It was completely bare bones, no extras what so ever (they could have at least got a commentary by creator Susan Harris, and the surviving cast.

Hopefully when season 4 comes out (fingers crossed) Harris could share her thoughts about how Season 5 would have turned out. The final season left us fans with a butt-load of cliffhangers.

Whhen Ron Roddy (The Price is Right) died a few weeks back I had totally forgot we was also the announcer for Soap.

John KB

Second Unit
I was surprised to find out that the announcer was in fact Rod Roddy. I don't think it sounds like him at all.

I sure hope season 2 comes out, and soon! I'm almost done season 1 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.:)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I picked up this DVD based on the show's reputation alone (never watched it back in the day) and was stunned at the show's quality. I would rank this program alongside SEINFELD as one of the greatest sitcoms ever. I sincerely hope that more discs are on the way.

Any new news on this?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also liking the SOAP DVD. I'm going through it slowly since there is no rush with no Season 2 announced.

I'd also love to see a BENSON DVD release. Watching Guillaume in this made me remember how funny he was in the spin off.

And that is the same Rod Roddy? I saw the name, but it really doesn't sound like him.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Columbia rarely makes sales information public.
But Video Business did have figures, because it lists the first season of Dawson's Creek on its year-end list of the top-selling TV DVDs of 2003. It was at No. 44, the only Columbia Tristar title among the top 52 sellers; selling 214,000 copies for $6.7 million.

But, oddly, Video Business created its top-sellers' list by revenue, which is a really crappy way to rank TV DVDs. For example, if ranked by units sold, The Osbournes: Season 1 would have been in the top 10. But it sold for less than other season sets, so its revenue placed it only at No. 23.

Columbia Tristar prices its TV releases notoriously low, so even if they sold in great quantities, they wouldn't show up on the top-sellers' list because of their comparitively low revenue.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Randy, thanks for that bit of information regarding how they rank their sales, I didn't readily notice that there were going by strictly revenue of course I just glanced at the list.

Anyway, I think perhaps based on what I've read that I might have to check out this season 1 release to see if I dig the show.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I remember watching this first run. It was on Tuesday nights. Tuesday night started with "Happy Days" then "Laverne and Shirley" then "Three's Company" and finally "Soap". How's that for a lineup! I loved ALL these shows and would buy them all. I also agree that the announcer does not sound like Rod Roddy.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
About Rod roddy-

When your not paying attention no it dosen't but when you do you can hear rod roddy inflections in the announcer's voice. It's a bit tougher than Price is Right because your not screaming all the time. You have to be friendly and low-key but get the audince pumped up all at the same time. I think he did a great job.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just finished Soap S2- very much enjoyed it.

But I'm hoping on the next 2 sets, that they don't put spoilers on the back of the DVD case.

So, if your watching it or haven't yet---DON'T READ the back of the DVD case.

I've never seen S3 or S4, so I'm anxious to find out what happens.

Also, since there was a featurette on S2, and it seems like it's to be continued, it seems like were going to get another one on the S3 set.

I also vote for a "What would have happened in S5" feature.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I haven't yet purchased (the 2 seasons releases are on my wishlist) any of the seasons of SOAP yet but I hope that they sold well cause I want to see all seasons released. I watched the episodes many times on Comedy Central & I enjoyed the show.

MatS

Screenwriter
I recall these airing on TV Land not Comedy Central

ps. get them off your wishlist, can't hope they do more if you aren't contributing to the cause

MatS

Screenwriter
season 3 out this week reminder
almost forgot myself till I saw it in the Sunday circular

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks