What's new

Sony 50 inch LCD or Samsung 50 DLP (1 Viewer)

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Alright...I love Sony, however, my friend is hell bent on the technology in the Samsung television. I'm not too familiar with Samsung and so far the ratings have favored the Sony. Any of you know enough about both TV's to suggest the better one?

Samsung 50" Widescreen DLP-Projection HDTV
model: HLN5065W

Sony Grand WEGA 50" HD-Ready Rear-Projection LCD TV
model: KF50WE610

Thanks,
Justin

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
I search and researched both types of sets favoring the DLP until I was able to see them side by each at different stores. Helpful sales folks even switched sources to include SD and OTA. I chose the GWIII. Let your eyes be your guide after doing your research. It is especially helpful if you can find a retailer willing to give you a 30-day trial with either set in home, viewing under your conditions. Good luck.
YMMV

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Much appreciated for the info. I did do a side by side comparison and I kept eyeing the Sony more. The Samsung did have a beautiful picture I'll admit, but still hesitant because of the name. That and I have gone with Sony for years. Samsung seems to mass produce so it concerns me with how can they focus on quality and quantity.

To support Samsung...I do believe I will be going with their newest DVD player with DVI Outputs. It's getting great reviews so far. UNLESS of course Sony has one in the works ;-)

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Justin I have read posts of people having picture problems with the Sony LCD and the Samsung Dvd using the dvi.FYI

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Justin:

Don't for one minute let brand stereotypes push you one way or another. It's true that Sony built a well-deserved reptation with the Trinitron conventional CRT sets, but CRT technology is history ... even Sony has announced that they are planning to discontinue CRT production by 2006.

Samsung is a serious up-and-commer & technology leader in many cases ... and Sony is running scared. In fact Sony has been very seriously eyeing Samsung as an acquisition candidate or JV-partner. Sony Electronics is losing money faster that you can imagine these days (SCES is the only saving grace these days) & Samsung is making it. Samsung also has significantly lower mfg costs, allowing them to spend more on the base technology.

Take the advice above ... let your eyes & ears be the judge ... but don't bias yourself by thinking that Samsung is cheap or inferior quality product, because it is certainly NOT.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well said and the more I demo the TV's I find myself really paying attention. You're right...I've seen some beautiful Samsung sets, just scared because of the name, but they have made a name for themselves. I'll keep you posted on what I decide. Thanks for all your help and quick questions!

Richard Boughn

Auditioning
I was trying to make this exact decision. Saw both sets side by side at both CC and BB. At CC the Sony picture was brighter and sharper than the DLP. At best Buy watched about half an hour both sets playing a variety of things. Dave Mathews concert- the Samsung had destinctly blacker background (Sony was grey) and flesh tones were more realistic. Then switched to Animal Planet showing parots. The sony colors were much brighter and definition was distinctly better. Think it's a matter of personal preference. Then looked at price. Picked up the 60inch sony (CC discounted with a 300 gift cert and then a 10% gift cert on top) for the price of the 50 inch samsung so went with that.

Julian F

Auditioning
I was initially disappointed with the purchase of my Samsung 50" DLP. Yesterday, I bought the Samsung DVD-HD931 (with DVI input) and the picture was amazing. No more regrets on my part at all.

Comparing the Sony to the Samsung though, it's a matter of personal preference. As Richard B said, it's more a matter of personal preference.

And the Samsung DLP did win an award for being one of the most innovative new products last year. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I have been quite pleased with my purchase, all posts I've read suggest you will have much better luck using the Sammy with a PC vs. the Sony. That may be an important factor for your decision.
YMMV

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
I will be definitely using a Gamecube, XBOX, and PS2 on the new TV so those are an important factors. I was told at Ultimate Electronics that the DLP would be better than the LCD. I know the DLP has no burn in and I thought the LCD didn't either, but he made it sound like over a period of time the LCD could have potential for burn in. Just can't get over the beautiful picture on the DLP. Also, when I was in there last time the Sony LCD looked right up to par with the DLP, but when I was in there a few days ago it looked horrible. Do they mess with the settings? Probably so when one salesperson thinks a particular look is better. Affects decisions though when you're trying to decide between the two.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I wasn't to impressed with the Samsung because of ghosting and the pixelazation. I looked at the Sony to and it looked good put the sales person had the picture so far out of wack I just couldn't tell if it was the TV or just the settings. I was just really hesitant to but the Samsung because it's a first generation...I just don't think they have all the bugs worked out. I've also read about a 1 second delay when playing video games on the Samsung. (move your controller and it takes a second for it to happen on the screen) Just my two cents worth....

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas-B,

I would be interested to see the threads that talk about a delay with gaming console use. That doesn't make any sense, and believe it to be false. The processing of video performance/controller inputs on gaming consoles are all handled within the console itself. The console just sends a video signal like every other peice of electronics out there and is displayed on the screen. The only time I have ever seen this as a possiblility is when you are playing online with your console and you get a delay, but that of course is from latency issues with the internet connection, not the electronics connected to it. Shoot me the info if you can find it, thanks!

Justin-T,

I think the Sammy DLP is an excellent choice and come tax season, I will be snagging my 46"er! Good luck!

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Very strange. The processing the TV has to do is shoot the imput signal onto the screen The only place I can see where this could happen is when the Sammy tries to upconvert the Xbox signal to the 720p. But that would stand true for ANY programming as well. I'll have to check this out for myself.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome info my friends...definitely some valuable opinions and facts being shared so I appreciate it!

Julian F

Auditioning
I have noticed no delay on my Sammy with the xbox, ps2, or GC.

And running PIP with a show and a video game is awesome.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I will echo the sentiments regarding brand loyalty...

In any regard it is silly when you think about it, because any brand can produce a lemon. Of course, reputations should not entirely be discounted. Having said that, Sony has really been going downhill lately, any research in the financial press will bare this out.

Samsung has been producing some stellar products. I have gone with them for my past three monitors on my PC - including two LCDs, and I have been very impressed.

I completely understand the hesitation regarding the name, but I think it is unfounded.

Users who are viewing this thread