Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Energy Connoisseur C-9 Speakers. Any good?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 JohMabe

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 01:43 PM

People in Brazil are talking so much about this pair of speakers. It's relatively cheap here ($700) and it's a full range pair with lots of bass and arguably good midrange. The Soundstage review is raving, it even compares this speaker to the marvelous B&W Nautilus 804, giving the edge to these overachievers in some aspects. Has anyone ever listened to these beauties? What's it comparable to? Will it give me tight, low bass?

#2 of 12 Joe DC

Joe DC

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:36 AM

Just purchased a pair of C9's for my HT. I'm currently using the CC1 center and CR3 dipole surrounds. The C9s will give you a very warm soundstage without being overly bright as compared to the 3-way C7s. They will also provide you with ample midbass than the C7s, however the C9s are set to small on my receiver, with most of the LFEs going to the subs. Hope this helps.

#3 of 12 WayneO

WayneO

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 05:48 AM

Quote:
Will it give me tight, low bass?

Not a chance IMO. I auditioned the C-9's about 6 months ago when looking for new speakers. I'm not looking to knock them, but I found the bass so poor compared to Klipsch RF-5's, Monitor Audio S8's and Paradigm Monitor 11's. I needed only about 20 seconds into a bassy dance tune to disqaulify them. I had also ran some jazz and pop before that point and they seemed "ok". Of course this is all subjective and you may feel different, just my expience, good luck choosing.
If the best advice is "listen for yourself", then why offer your opinion?

#4 of 12 JohMabe

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 06:22 AM

Tight low bass is what the manufacturer and the reviewer claims. And one of my main doubts on the speaker.

#5 of 12 zangler

zangler

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 10:23 AM

i too auditioned them...the bass was average...but the main thing i did not like was that it seemed a bit muddier in the mids.

#6 of 12 Jose T

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 10:55 AM

I auditioned these a few months back and was leaning more toward the C-7s. Bass was not an isse from what heard. The matching surrounds is what runed me off as to the bulit quality. Despite that I enjoyed the sound !!

#7 of 12 MikeKeck

MikeKeck

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 04:43 PM

Joe DC, I have the SAME setup as you, the C-9's in front with the c-c1 center, and c-r3's in the back, and a Klipsch RSW-15 sub, and I LOVE it. My question to you is how much power are you feeding to your speakers? I would like to get a comparison on how much i should feed them and what A/V receiver you are using. I am using a Harman/Kardon A/V now and no way am I switching brands, i'll only upgrade to a higher wattage model if needed.

#8 of 12 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:55 PM

A review here. I've always liked Energy's myself.

http://www.soundstag...p/energy_c9.htm

Freq response plots too if you click on the "measurements" box. Pretty flat to 35 Hz or so.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#9 of 12 MikeKeck

MikeKeck

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 04:20 PM

Thank you for your post. Even having skimmed that review before I purchased the speakers, I never realized the actual info it contained. That was very helpful, "a healthy 100w" is all i need..

#10 of 12 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 12:53 PM

Cool. They also have a review of the C-3s there too. I had Energies for a while, and then went to Mirage. In general, I really like API stuff (Energy, Mirage, Athena).
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#11 of 12 Joel()Les

Joel()Les

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:10 PM

I heard them in a home theater set-up including a subwoofer (don't recall if that was an Energy sub or not). As a package it sounded pretty good, but I didn't get to audition it for music.

#12 of 12 zangler

zangler

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 08:19 AM

i too auditioned the c-9's before buying my speakers...i am in no way going for a knock fest here, but i found the mids and lows muddy...i liked the paradigm m11's better...did not buy either brand though.