What's new

Energy Connoisseur C-9 Speakers. Any good? (3 Viewers)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
People in Brazil are talking so much about this pair of speakers. It's relatively cheap here ($700) and it's a full range pair with lots of bass and arguably good midrange. The Soundstage review is raving, it even compares this speaker to the marvelous B&W Nautilus 804, giving the edge to these overachievers in some aspects. Has anyone ever listened to these beauties? What's it comparable to? Will it give me tight, low bass?

Joe DC

Agent
Just purchased a pair of C9's for my HT. I'm currently using the CC1 center and CR3 dipole surrounds. The C9s will give you a very warm soundstage without being overly bright as compared to the 3-way C7s. They will also provide you with ample midbass than the C7s, however the C9s are set to small on my receiver, with most of the LFEs going to the subs. Hope this helps.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Will it give me tight, low bass?
Not a chance IMO. I auditioned the C-9's about 6 months ago when looking for new speakers. I'm not looking to knock them, but I found the bass so poor compared to Klipsch RF-5's, Monitor Audio S8's and Paradigm Monitor 11's. I needed only about 20 seconds into a bassy dance tune to disqaulify them. I had also ran some jazz and pop before that point and they seemed "ok". Of course this is all subjective and you may feel different, just my expience, good luck choosing.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Tight low bass is what the manufacturer and the reviewer claims. And one of my main doubts on the speaker.

zangler

Grip
i too auditioned them...the bass was average...but the main thing i did not like was that it seemed a bit muddier in the mids.

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned these a few months back and was leaning more toward the C-7s. Bass was not an isse from what heard. The matching surrounds is what runed me off as to the bulit quality. Despite that I enjoyed the sound !!

MikeKeck

Grip
Joe DC, I have the SAME setup as you, the C-9's in front with the c-c1 center, and c-r3's in the back, and a Klipsch RSW-15 sub, and I LOVE it. My question to you is how much power are you feeding to your speakers? I would like to get a comparison on how much i should feed them and what A/V receiver you are using. I am using a Harman/Kardon A/V now and no way am I switching brands, i'll only upgrade to a higher wattage model if needed.

MikeKeck

Grip
Thank you for your post. Even having skimmed that review before I purchased the speakers, I never realized the actual info it contained. That was very helpful, "a healthy 100w" is all i need..

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Cool. They also have a review of the C-3s there too. I had Energies for a while, and then went to Mirage. In general, I really like API stuff (Energy, Mirage, Athena).

Joel()Les

Agent
I heard them in a home theater set-up including a subwoofer (don't recall if that was an Energy sub or not). As a package it sounded pretty good, but I didn't get to audition it for music.

zangler

Grip
i too auditioned the c-9's before buying my speakers...i am in no way going for a knock fest here, but i found the mids and lows muddy...i liked the paradigm m11's better...did not buy either brand though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks