What's new

Any recent NAD or Marantz receivers dropout free? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if there are any new Marantz or NAD receivers which do NOT cut off the beginning of the audio signal for CD's and DVD's when connected digitally (TOSLINK or COAX for audio).

Oh and if you're giving feedback from personal experience, lemme know the receiver AND DVD/CD source player combo.

thanx for any feedback

:)

Joe DC

Agent
I have the SR8200 and is connected to my DVD via TOSLINK and it also drops out during the beginning of movies or when RW/FF. Don't notice it with CDs though.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My NAD 762 does drop the beginning of any digital source.

FWIW, my NAD dealer mentioned that he has one of the new NAD pre/pros (not sure the model #) and it also drops a bit of the beginning of most tracks, although he thought it was better than the 762.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that effects more units than it doesn't.

BGL

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What a hassle. I can't believe something this important is going wrong with audio in receivers. It shouldn't be happening. Anybody else? I like the idea of the SR 8300. What is the crossover with that? 100 hz or 80 hz? I wish the SR 8200/8300 had a pre-out/main-in loop to insert your own crossover. Any idea if the SR 9200 had dropouts?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Look on Marantz' site. The x400s have been up for a little while. :D Here's to hoping none of them have the problem. Haven't seen any in local stores yet though to try out. 8300 and 9300 remain for now, as they were only recently released.

I think the 7300/OSE was using older DACs and DSP, but I am not sure if it has the dropout or not. I know for a fact that the 6300 does it. The 9300 does not, but I am not sure if the 9200 does.

8300 has THX processing so the x-over is 80Hz. So far, I am very happy with this receiver.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The 8300 sounds good. No pun intended. No dropouts and an 80 HZ crossover would be nice. I wonder how much the 8300 can be found for in Canada. Anybody?

Jason Sanderson

Auditioning
I just picked up a new-in-box 8200 in Ottawa for $1850 Canadian from an authorized dealer. You can then get the upgrade from Marantz which brings the 8200 up to 8300 specs (including the fixed sync delay) for an additional 300 Canadian or so.

James_SCEA

Agent
I have an upgraded SR 8200 with MA6100 Monoblocks for my mains - it doesn't drop out at all and the upgrade is definately noticable with DD and DTS decoding ("32 bit") - although it is subtle. I'm using it with a Sony 999ES (SACD) with a digital coax without any problems.

This receiver is awsome - it's basicall an 8300. I used to sell this receiver from Cambridge Soundworks about a year or two ago and my customers would always point out the seemingly "effortless" performance with driving power hungry speakers.

By the way - all THX Certified receivers (Select or Ultra) will have an 80hz crossover - some receivers with an adjustable crossover may not let you select the THX option otherwise in the speaker configuration setup.

JC:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

What source player?

And of course, we are talking about connections using a digital coax or toslink right?

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
Sony CX230 200 disk CD
Marantz 8100 300 disk DVD
Sony 755 single disk SACD - DVD
Older Sony 530 single disk DVD
530 had lip synch problem. Repaired under wty before I added the 7300 to my system.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So 8300 are dropout free and some even say the 7300 is also dropout free. Ok. Any NAD receivers?

NickSP

Supporting Actor
OK, I am trying the NAD 752 again as a prepro with the 1.20 version software and none of the problems exist that came with the original receivers and it also runs super cool.
Regarding the audio dropouts I find if I manually skip the song then it exhibits a dropout but if I let the whole CD run by itself, song after song, then no dropouts. Also if I manually skip to a song and play it from the begining again within a second or two, then no dropouts.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I have a 762 which suffers dropouts. Never had a problem on dvd, but if there's enough silence in between tracks on a cd (most have it) it will dropout at the beginning of a track. It's not horrible, though, but my T770 would drop out on my consoles all the time. I eventually switched my ps2 back to analog because it was so horrible. Haven't had that problem with the 762 once, though.

BTW, my player is a DV 37 for both cds and dvds. I really want to upgrade but I want to upgrade to a universal player that has excellent video performance and there's nothing compelling and reasonable expensive...

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I have a so-far-unupdated Marantz SR8200, and I wanted to clarify how the delay issue works (at least for me). It only happens the *first* time it locks on to a source. For example, the first second is cut off of the first song of a CD the first time you play it only. There is no drop out when skipping around between songs, and no dropout when playing songs in sequence. The same thing applies to audio and video DVD. So for me, it is a very minor issue. If there is something important in the first second of the first song, I just hit "play" again as soon as it starts and from that point on, there is no delay. The one time that it is annoying is when a TV show switches to Dolby Digital on HBO. It will drop out for a second and once in a while the sound will not come back at all after the format switch. I can usually fix it by muting and un-muting. Anyone else see this happen when an HBO show starts and they change to DD?

Chris

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
You may not experience drop-outs between CD tracks with a NAD DVD player, or other DVD players that don't reduce the output signal right away. I don't experience them with my 752 DVD changer through my T742 receiver. You'll lose audio for a moment when first playing a movie, while the receiver "locks on" to the signal, but this is seldom an issue because you have all kinds of crap you go through before the movie even starts (production studio intro and so on) and the drop-out lasts only a couple of seconds. I have yet to experience any drop-outs with CDs though (I use the digital optical output/input).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have a so-far-unupdated Marantz SR8200, and I wanted to clarify how the delay issue works (at least for me). It only happens the *first* time it locks on to a source. For example, the first second is cut off of the first song of a CD the first time you play it only. There is no drop out when skipping around between songs, and no dropout when playing songs in sequence.
Funny, it happens on every track for me. So those old Sinatra songs, which start with a big bang/crash, lose their impact (the wife is a big fan).

The local distributor still hasn't gotten back to me on the upgrade, which I probably would've bought to fix just this issue alone. Ironically I met him last week at my usual shop, he was there as well by coincidence, and he promised to send me the email with the details. Still nothing. :frowning: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks