Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Escape From New York - Special Edition (Highly Recommended!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#41 of 83 OFFLINE   Darren_Reed

Darren_Reed

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted December 13 2003 - 03:13 AM

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but this can be ordered at Walmart.com for $9.98 plus $2.98 shipping. They started shipping them yesterday..

I tried to post a link but I haven't reached my 15 posts yet, so you guys will have to find it yourself! Posted Image

#42 of 83 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 13 2003 - 04:27 AM

I've never seen the film, nor it sequal, and I wasn't a fan of Big Trouble in Little China...

Should I pick this up blind?

EDIT: Thanks to Darren, I did!

#43 of 83 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 964 posts

Posted December 14 2003 - 03:42 AM

I watched EFNY last night, as the local **** *** had copies out early. This is not a big surprise, as the SE cover is almost identical to the bare bones DVD edition.

Initial thoughts:

Yes.. It's better than the 1st version. Blacks are deeper, the image is slightly but noticeably sharper etc etc... But when I was watching the disc #2 documentary, I thought the scenes from the film looked a tad better than the actual movie presentation on disc #1! I checked disc #2's bitrate and it was very high. Not a big surprise, as the supplements are sparse for a sole DVD. I then checked the bitrate on disc #1, and for a movie this length, the bitrate was a little low, so it was time for a check on the computer. Well, well, well, ..MGM went cheap on us and decided to do Escape from New York as a single layer disc ! ..For those who might immediately chime to tell me that bitrate isn't everything, yes I agree, but it certainly CAN help. The film looks fine, but I really feel using dual layer *would* have made it better.

The audio (for the most part) is fine. There are a few times the rears are split surround. One or two very brief sections did sound tin-canish, and I have a couple questions on the effects in certain sections. My memory on the original Dolby Stereo mix is good but not perfect, so I'll need to check my old (yuck) VHS hi-fi copy to compare the original mix to the new...

#44 of 83 OFFLINE   Jimmy M

Jimmy M

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted December 14 2003 - 09:33 AM

Got one today. Find Your Escape From New York copy at some retailers early... Posted Image

Found one easter egg. Disc 2, highlight "Deleted Scenes" and press right. This will highlight a NY Cityscape. Press Enter and you'll hear a radio spot, which soulnd like Isaac Hayes.

Jimmy!
"The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

www.heroscapers.com is a great resource if you play Heroscape!

#45 of 83 OFFLINE   Jimmy M

Jimmy M

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted December 14 2003 - 09:35 AM

Got one today. Find Your Escape From New York copy at some retailers early... Posted Image

Found one easter egg. Disc 2, highlight "Deleted Scenes" and press right. This will highlight a NY Cityscape. Press Enter and you'll hear a radio spot, which sounds like Isaac Hayes.

Jimmy!
"The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

www.heroscapers.com is a great resource if you play Heroscape!

#46 of 83 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 06:33 AM

I found a copy last night, watched it right away. Major improvement over the previous release. Ill be diving into the special features this evening.

#47 of 83 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 10:43 AM

Picked mine up today at Target for $15.99.

Had the old VHS , then LD, then the flipper vanilla DVD from last year so im glad they got it right this time.

Running home after work to watch the extras and check the transfer out.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#48 of 83 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 02:22 PM

Also got mine at Target this evening for $15.99.

Have only had time to go through the documentary and found it a very interesting and the comic is "neat". Posted Image
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#49 of 83 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
then the flipper vanilla DVD from last year

The movie-only DVD came out three years ago. It has the widescreen version on one side and the P&S version on the other. That's not a flipper, which requires that you have to flip the disc during the movie to merit that term.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#50 of 83 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 03:38 AM

Got this yesterday. Got through most of the extras and watched the first 45 minutes of the film before I had to leave the house. My thoughts...

This is night and day better than the first release, which I sold about a year ago. The transfer looks great (although I have far from a perfect display medium, just a simple 27" JVC direct view). What I was most impressed by was the unbelievable sound. Man, I didn't think they would be able to do it this well. It was very immersive to say the least and far better than I expected. I am very pleased with this effort.

My question is this however. In the deleted bank robbery scene (which was very cool but I agree unnecessary and deserving of the edit floor cut) Plisskin is on the run with some guy named "Taylor" who gets shot during the getaway. No other guy is present with them. However, in the movie this scene is referenced by Plisskin in his initial contact with Brain in the library to which he laments the fact that Brain stood him up. He says (from memory only here)..."It was just you, me and Frisco Bob. You know what they did to Bob?" Well, the character name in the deleted scene was Taylor. I expected a "Frisco Bob". Anyone notice this discrepancy?

searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#51 of 83 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 03:48 AM

Evan, the character could certainly have had two names--one his surname, the other a nickname. You have to admit that in the context of the deleted scene, the nickname would have been clunky in dialogue.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#52 of 83 OFFLINE   StevenF

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 04:11 AM

I am a huge John Carpenter fan. Have been ever since I was a little kid. I have met him several times and have a few deep and memorable conversations with the man. I saw Escape from New York on day one when it was released and it has always had a place in my heart as one of my top 10 (Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Aliens, Escape From New York and The Road Warrior are a few - It has been a very good DVD year for me) films.

I have seen every every possible cut of the film over the years in every (Film, VHS, Beta, U-Matic, Laserdisc & DVD) format.

Although I do think that the new Special Edition release is superior than the first DVD that came out... I think it is a bit to sharp and clear.

I notice on few of the beginning opening scenes, shots of New York from Liberty Island HQ and the Presidents plane flying into NY, that you can tell the NY backdrop and skyline is a matte painting. It is definetly noticeable. At first I thought I was seeing things, but upon further inspection... it is only noticeable on the matte shots. You can tell what is a matte shot vs. what is an actual NY shot. The black sky is very different in deepness and tone.

Other than that, it is a great DVD release and the new metallic foil cover is really a nice tough.

I had so wished that Escape From L.A. would have been better than it was. To me, it is not much more than a remake/modern update of the first film. It even has most of the same type scenes/shots/storyline.

NOW, I wish that Warner Bros. would get off their butts and release a Special Edition DVD for THE ROAD WARRIOR with all of the deleted scenes, which have only been aired once for TV back in the 80's.
You wanna get out of here... you talk to me! - The Road Warrior

My DVD Collection (DVD Profiler)

#53 of 83 OFFLINE   Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 09:29 AM

Just got my copy this afternoon and have being pretty impressed. My copy of the deleted sequence is not anamorphic, is this right or are there 2 versions of the set?

#54 of 83 OFFLINE   Jason*C

Jason*C

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 10:38 AM

Hmm I wonder when Escape from LA will be out now.

#55 of 83 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 01:20 PM

Quote:
Hmm I wonder when Escape from LA will be out now.

It has been out on DVD for over 5 years.

DJ

#56 of 83 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 04:11 PM

Hey Evan,

I always got the impression that "Brain" had been incarcerated there for a rather long time as he has a whole world set up there and that Snake had just been busted for the "robbery"...
Perhaps since "Snake" was a war hero, the reference is to an old military campaign they were both involved in?

Posted Image D

#57 of 83 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 04:51 PM

Dave, you are absolutely right about the time discrepancy. I never thought of that angle. It seems ironic though that they reference a "frisco Bob" in the movie, and that's the same city that Plisskin gets caught in. I just thought the similarity was too coincidental, but after what you said, I guess it is.

#58 of 83 OFFLINE   Jason*C

Jason*C

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 09:26 PM

I meant when will an Escape from LA special edition dvd come out like this one?

#59 of 83 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
when will an Escape from LA special edition dvd come out like this one

I am guessing never due to lack of demand. The first film has a cult following. For me, it's in my top 5 all time films. But I (like most EFNY fans that I have talked to) cannot STAND the second movie. It is such a ripoff on the first and everything about it screams "cheesy". I don't think there is enough of a following of the second movie to warrant a special edition release. But that is simply IMO.

#60 of 83 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 04:36 AM

I *hate* double-dipping... but this sounds like it is worth it. I'll have to pick it up after Christmas... I've been forbidden to buy myself any DVD's until after the holidays. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow