Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Open old Mac discs on PC?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 04:29 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help here.

It's been 11 years since finishing my undergrad degree, and I am applying to graduate school. I need to submit some academic writing samples from my old research papers. I have all my papers saved on Mac discs from the early 90s. They are double-sided double-density discs.

I do not have a Mac anymore, only a PC (Windows XP). Is there any way I can convert these files to PC and more importantly, open these discs on a PC?

When I insert them I get the message that the discs are not formatted. They ask me to format them but I said no to keep my data intact.

Is there a software program or anything I can buy that would help me recover these files?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

#2 of 5 Randy_T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 09:34 AM

Try HERE

Randy T

#3 of 5 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 10:40 AM

MacOpener works well.

#4 of 5 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys, but unfortunately neither of those programs works with double-sided, double-density disks, only HD disks. Posted Image

I don't know what I'm going to do, aside from buy an old Mac on eBay. Apparently most new Macs don't even support floppies, much less the DD disks.

Frustrating.Posted Image

#5 of 5 Randy_T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 02:26 PM

If you have a college close to you, talk to the computer science personal. They just may have an older mac sitting around that you could use. People also donate computers to non-profits. Check at schools,daycare centers,libraries, & churches.

Randy T