What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm Thinking about getting my mother a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas and wanted some opinions. I ran across some reviews for Dyson Vacuum cleaners. Seems to be a popular brand in England, and only recently sold in U.S. A friend of mine likes Rainbow and swears it the best, but I think he paid over $1000 for his and I don't want to spend that much, trying to stay in the $300 to $500 range. Any opinions?

Thanks

Greg

Todd Harlan

Agent
I almost searched the HTF for this exact same thing the other day. Amazon has all three models and they had good reviews over there. I decided to buy a Dyson based on those reviews. However, I am not buying for another month or so (after I move)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
We've got one of the Dyson Animal models (the purple one). It does a nice job, it picks up dirt and dog hair very well, has a lot of different attachments. I love the fact that it's bagless and I doubt I'd ever buy a bag vacuum again.

All of the plastic makes it seem cheap when you first see it, but it definitely holds up & performs well.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I bought a dyson animal model from best buy. It has been worth every penny so far. My wife and I have an assortment of pets and this thing handles cleaning like no other vacuum i used before.

J

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I've got a Hoover WindTunnel - cannot recommend it. I got it at cost from a store going out of business. Still not worth it... Works fine for a while, but very cheaply built.

Brett_H

Second Unit
No experience with the Dyson, but felt I had to mention Bissell: stay away from them, at least the cheaper bagless models. My wife and I picked one up last year and a few months ago something happened where it become LOUD during use, as in I can't hear ANYTHING while this thing's running. Can't wait to trash it and go with something better.

-Brett.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response. I didn't realize that the Rainbow had a water filter or some kind of water trap that catches the dirt. Think I'll try find a Dyson dealer around here were I can see them up close. Jeff got one at Best Buy think I'll go and see if my local Best Buy carries Dyson. I need one that will be easy to push and simple enough for a 65yo grandma to use.

Thanks

Greg

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I think all best buy stores carry the Dyson cleaners. They are very light and are easy to move around.

Jeff

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Canister vacs clean hard floors better than uprights, they also have more suction and are great for under beds and such.

Consider a good canister.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Amazing what you can find in the After Hours Lounge.
I just bought a .Dyson from Best Buy
Our $200 Dirt Devil bagless kept clogging up, and required a complete disassembly to clean out the hose. Yesterday, while trying to take it apart I tore the hose, and decided enough was enough. It never really worked that well even when new.
So after reading reviews on the web, I decided to try a Dyson.
It really is a superb product.
- It cleaned our carpets extremely well, we were amazed how quickly the dirt cannister filled up.
- It is very well designed. If the hose gets clogged, it is very easy to clean. There is a section of removable hard-plastic tubing right at the bend. No more taking the whole thing apart to clean a clogged hose. Its obvious that routine maintenance was taken into account when designing this thing.
- The dust cannister is easy to empty. Pretty much had to take a shower every time we emptied the Dirt Devil vacuum. The Dyson has trigger on the top of the cannister which opens up the bottom, trap door style.
- Superior filter system. No messy banging of filters to clean the dust out. Also, there is no dust in the exhaust of the vacuum. It doesnt produce that "just vacuumed" smell that every other vacuum i have used puts out.
- Very quiet.
- Really long extension hose for attachments.
- Really long power cord.
The only gripes I have is that it is a bit of a chore to use the attachments. You have to pull the wand out of the top of the hose, it is a tight fit so some effort is required. Also my wife found it a bit heavy.
Other than that, I am extremely pleased with this vacuum.
5 stars.
Jeff

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
I just got a Dyson Animal myself. I've only used it for one "cleaning" so far, but I liked it much better than my Hoover Windtunnel. I agree with Jeff's gripe about the hose, it does take a little bit of effort to put the wand back inside. I like the wand itself though, works better than the multiple sections of tubing on my old vac. Cleaning the stairs is much easier with the Dyson. With my old vac the tube was pretty pitiful so I would end up carrying the whole thing and trying to vacuum each stair that way. The hose on the Dyson is stretchy enough that I can actually make it all the way to the top of the stairs and the 'Turbo-tool' seems to work pretty well.

I bought mine from Linens N Things using their ubiquitous 20% off coupons (it seems like I get one of these in the mail every couple of weeks) I ordered it from them online and it took about 3 weeks to get here (it was backordered) but I wasn't in dire need of a new vacuum so it didn't bother me.

If you check out the Deals Page the 20% off at LNT is listed on there under today's deals.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I notice they have 3 models on display at Best Buy. Sears also carries them. Do you need animals to buy that model? Those that have some, are they still around? :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm another recent purchaser of the "Animal". I just have one thing to say:
It sucks. :D
Hey, someone had to say it!
Obvious joke aside, I agree 100% with all the comments above on how well it works. The animal hair attachment sucks up my cats' hair like nobody's business.
Also, it's just really well-designed. It seems they thought everything through. I believe it was engineered by people who actually had to vacuum a house on a regular basis.
I never thought I'd get that "high-tech excitement" buzz from a vacuum cleaner, but this one does it for me. It just reeks cool. ;) It was a bit difficult to plunk down $500 on a vacuum but it's been worth every penny.
Note that all the Dysons (at least those available in the US) are the same basic model, they just have different attachments included in the box. If you buy one of the cheaper models, you can always buy any of the other attachments later. OK - the other difference is the color - the only way to get the cool purple is to put out for the "Animal". :)
Here's their website which does a very good job of explaining the technology and various models:
http://www.dyson.com/

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Just goes to show how "big corporations" have lost the plot. Dyson was invented by, well, Dyson (first name James IIRC), an inventor, who tried to sell it to various electrical companies, and none would bite, so he decided to build and sell it himself. Fast forward several years and now he's a multi-millionaire.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
An animal hair tool? Sounds like marketing hype to me. I have two dogs and a Eureka upright and it does a great job at picking up all of the dog hair.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You guys realize that we finally happen to be in the proper time/space continuum? In this reality Dr. Dyson invented a vacuum cleaner.
In another it was SkyNet.
:)
Cees

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
They away from bagless. Their air filtering properties become compromised after a year or so. Then they actually spew out more dust than they filter.

I will continue to bag it until the technology improves.

Users who are viewing this thread