Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The GREAT SILENCE (1968) DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:28 PM

I wanted to pick up The Great Silence on DVD & just my luck it's OOP. Posted Image

Is the Fantoma/Image release worth seeking out?

Any word on a reissue?

There's also a much cheaper Brazilian release (I'm assuming it's not a boot) floating around. If anyone's seen it how is the A/V quality?

any help would be great
Death before Streaming!

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:48 PM

The Fantoma/Image release is ok, but it's not anamorphic and the supplements (such as they are) are unexciting. I would definitely rebuy if a new edition is announced.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 12:12 AM

Over at dvdsoon.com they have a re-issue due on 3 feb 2004.
I notice the price is more agreeable than before - only approx 22 canadian dollars (£10.10)

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 24 2003 - 01:03 AM

I believe there's a superb French release...but no English track or subtitles.

Deepdiscount have it out as a January 2004 re-release, at $14.98, now distributed by Rykodisc here .

---
So many films, so little time...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 11:54 AM

Thanks John

Never heard of Rykodisc. I'm not up for shelling out the big bucks for the Fantoma release so I think I'll hold out and see how this re-release pans out.

thanks to all for the feedback
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   WillardK

WillardK

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 12:50 PM

Some new deal must have been struck between Rykodisc and Fantoma. It looks like a number of back catalog items are being reissued at reduced prices and newer issues are being offered for even less. I just received a new installment of Educational Archives. Other than the lower price it bears the same cover/label/markings of the previous releases in the series. Hopefully this also means they will speed up production (and finally give us the Fassbinder and Anger sets).

Their revamped website is supposed to be unveiled by the end of the month.
"I've got my history of weapons program activity intentions aimed at YOU!"

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 03:15 AM

Yes, fantoma just changed distributors from Image to Rykodisc, as did Blue Underground.

My review of Great Silence is up at dOc:

http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=1764

It's nonanamorphic 1.66:1 but it's not bad at all, considering.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 01:03 AM

Any updates on the DVD status of this film?

Was the previous OOP release an anamorphic transfer or is the the Fantoma version the exact same as the Ryko rerelease (I suspect it is).

Also, can anyone please confirm if the DVD is packaged in a snapper or keepcase?

The current Ryko edition is selling pretty high at most online retailers, ~ $17+ US and I was just wondering if there was a good chance of a newer updated edition coming out anytime soon.

PS - Was there also an Image release of this movie, I thought I saw it listed on Amazon. If so, how do the transfers compare, if at all?

Thanks!

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 01:17 AM

is the the Fantoma version the exact same as the Ryko rerelease (I suspect it is).

I assumed they were the same. Don't own the original OOP so I can't confirm or help.

But I can confirm that the Ryko disc I bought came in a keepcase.
Death before Streaming!

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 08:55 AM

There's a UK release of it too. Still non-anamorphic, but DVDTimes (I think) compares the US and UK discs and says that the UK has ever-so-slightly better picture quality.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 08:58 AM

Fantoma simply changed distributors, so the identical disc is now distributed by Ryko.

DJ

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 11:13 AM

Merci!

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 02:42 PM

DVD Beaver: Fantoma R1 vs. Kinowelt German R2

The UK edition contains the Italian track and English subtitles.

The French edition is anamorphic, but it only contains French and Italian audio and French subs.

Excellent, unconventional Western - essential for fans. I have the Fantoma edition, which is well worth owning until a full SE comes out, although that could be a long wait.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for those review links, I can't believe Fantoma wouldn't have included the original Italian mono track!

I generally don't mind optional English dubbed soundtracks on foreign film releases but not having the choice of the original language soundtrack is a huge washout. I'm gonna pass and wait for something better to hopefully surface in the future. Unless the Italian mono track with optional English subs is offered along with the English dub track, I'm really not interested. Too bad this great film can't find it's way into a more able studio who might offer a proper anamorphic remastering complete with extras, commentary and original audio tracks. BU should try and license this.

Posted Image

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 01:20 AM

Marco, you misunderstand: The Great Silence wasn't 'shot' in any particular language. During takes, Kinski would have speaking his lines in German (or perhaps English; could he speak Italian in 1968?), Frank Wolff could speak Italian, however. Still, I'd love to hear the Italian track.

Wolff was a great actor, but he sadly he killed himself in the Hilton Hotel in Rome in 1971. Time of Vultures (1967), a practically unknown and vastly underrated Western, features an extraordinary performance by Wolff; I really want to see it again - a DVD is badly needed. Death Occurred Last Night (1970) a brilliant kidnap-thriller, has also been grossly overlooked over the years and, once again, Wolff delivers a memorable performance.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 03:03 AM

That's pretty typical of Italian films of the period, especially with international stars like Kinski. The on-set languages would be whatever the stars spoke, and if it was recorded at all, it would generally only be used as a reference track for the dubbing. The Italian track would be just as inauthentic as the English one, frankly. Having the stars available to dub in any language was a pretty hit-or-miss affair. Tim Lucas has written extensively about this in Video Watchdog.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 09:28 AM

I remember enjoying the Italian-dubbed variant when it screened (subtitled) on SBS TV down here. I haven't seen TIME OF VULTURES but will seek it out now - I'm working on a small booklet about spaghetti westerns and want to cover some of the more obscure ones. I've always liked Wolff's performances and was saddened to read that he passed away under those circumstances just a couple of weeks before I was born. Eurocult actor Brett Halsey (he's in some Fulci movies and I think also GODFATHER III) wrote a novel that purportedly covers Wolff, his death and the life he and other actors led down in Rome throughout that period - the names are changed but some folks on the Spaghetti Western Web Board found it of interest.