Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

JL Audio 300/4 price/review?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 23 2003 - 07:00 AM

Turns out the guy who I am going to buy the XR650CSis from is selling a 300/4 amp. Asked me for a reasonable price. I don't even know what the MSRP is since their catalog doesn't quote them, they aren't sold on the internet (at least for a reliable quote) and these are used. The only place I saw online has it for $379 but I presume the MSRP would then be much higher local. Obviously I would buy a used item for less... Any suggestions on a reasonable price for the 300/4 given a 1 year age in good shape? Is it a decent amp? I have agreed to buy a 1 year old XR650 that is in excellent condition for $180 which I thought was a good price considering they're like $379 locally. I did not get a chance to audition the amp. as I wasn't intending to buy one, but if I get the right price, can't really pass it over cause the person is on a MR2 Spyder forum and therefore, it is already to mount in mine, except for the wiring. Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Sean^M

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 04:48 AM

$250-300 would be fair for a 300/4 very nice amplifier. regulated power supply, and regulated output so any load from 1.5-8 Ohms has the same output of (a very conservative rating of) 75 watts RMS per channel. real world output on a scope is closer to about 85WRMS/ch

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 24 2003 - 04:58 AM

Thanks Sean, that's good cause I offered $280 and I'm trying to be reasonable for both the seller and I. I did a quick Ebay search and it seems somebody with a 4 month old 300/4 has one up to $250 right now with 4 days left so I figure a year old for $280 is a fair price (I'm assuming the auction will go up in 4 days). I saw some NIB ones on Ebay going for $360 already... Jay

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Sean^M

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 05:08 AM

yeah I forgot to mention that range was based on the condition of the amp. if its a bit beat up, I'd go low. if its in great shape, no reason to lower the offer.. plus you're not paying shipping I assume, so that makes up the difference there. plus you get to see it hands on instead of relying on faith with ebayers I've seen a lot of people get ripped off on car audio stuff on ebay sadly.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 24 2003 - 11:43 PM

The amp is in excellent shape, I've seen his install and its very clean looking and he said he's never abused it. I trust the guy, he's been on the MR2 forum for awhile, but he eventually sold his Spyder so now he's getting rid of the stuff he had in it.

I was thinking I needed to get a line level converter for the amp, but checking out JL's PDF file here:

http://www.jlaudio.c.../pdfs/300_4.pdf

It appears the 300/4 accepts both an unamplified source and also speaker level outputs from the HU... This would simplify things a bit and make the wiring easier! Is this true or am I reading that PDF wrong?

Jay

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Sean^M

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 02:38 AM

the amp can take high level inputs.. but keep in mind, it won't sound that great. they never do. best bet is to use a good head unit with at least 4V line out coltage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users