Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDs - shaken, not stirred

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bart

Bart

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 06:42 AM

I've purchased a number of 2-disc DVDs now that have had broken clips for the plastic flipper (Blade II comes to mind) or broken hubs. To save myself a trip back to the store, I usually shake the DVDs lengthwise and listen for anything that sounds loose (other than cardboard inserts and marketing stuff). I've also gotten into the habit of inpecting the tops of the DVDs to make sure that when I remove the sticker, it doesn't pull part of my cover off with it. Box sets get even closer scruitiny, since I look for scratches, broken corners, and other blemishes. Am I taking my DVD collecting hobby too seriously, or do some of you also inspect your DVDs before buying? Bart

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 06:58 AM

Same here. I always shake the box to make sure a disc isn't sliding around inside. And I got screwed a couple of times with the top sticker ripping part of the front cover, if the artwork happens to be protruding out of the clear plastic sheet!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,515 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 07:12 AM

Welcome to the brotherhood of "The Anal-Retentive Collector". You are now an official member! Posted Image

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,113 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 07:32 AM

Sometimes, there's a bunch of paper flyers in the case that makes it seem like the DVD is loose in the case. I found that out when I opened up a Disney's Piglet DVD a couple of months ago.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack_TN

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:05 PM

No wonder there's sets with loose DVDs or broken hubs, with all you guys out there shaking them to death Posted Image

Jack

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   WilliamG

WilliamG

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:18 PM

Hey, the same thing happened to me with Jurrasic Park a couple years ago. With all the problems Universal had, I was trying to make sure I got the "correct" one. No problem there, but as soon as I picked it up and brought it down to my side I heard that suspicious little rattle of a broken hub. I exchanged it with no problems.

NOW, last week I'm the first one to buy LOTR:TTT from Wal*Mart. Everything was secure-no broken hubs, but when I pulled the package from the box, I find the top inside edge slightly bent. Looks like someone shoved it in. Mangled
enough to see white cardboard from the center of the flap! Yeah, I feel a little anal about it. But I just can't bring myself to return it because nothing is broken..Posted Image

And I thought I was the only one! Alright, group- gather 'round:
"Hi, my name is William and I'm an Anal-Retentive Collector"! Posted Image

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:22 PM

The real question is, are all of you open about this? Will you proudly shake a DVD in front of other people, or will you kind of turn your back and hide the fact that you are indeed shaking the case? I forget what I do, but I'm definitely a shaker...
"Make ready, for this is our first and final battle..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users