What's new

DVDs - shaken, not stirred (1 Viewer)

Bart

Stunt Coordinator
I've purchased a number of 2-disc DVDs now that have had broken clips for the plastic flipper (Blade II comes to mind) or broken hubs. To save myself a trip back to the store, I usually shake the DVDs lengthwise and listen for anything that sounds loose (other than cardboard inserts and marketing stuff). I've also gotten into the habit of inpecting the tops of the DVDs to make sure that when I remove the sticker, it doesn't pull part of my cover off with it. Box sets get even closer scruitiny, since I look for scratches, broken corners, and other blemishes. Am I taking my DVD collecting hobby too seriously, or do some of you also inspect your DVDs before buying?

Bart

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Same here. I always shake the box to make sure a disc isn't sliding around inside. And I got screwed a couple of times with the top sticker ripping part of the front cover, if the artwork happens to be protruding out of the clear plastic sheet!

MattHR

Screenwriter
Welcome to the brotherhood of "The Anal-Retentive Collector". You are now an official member! :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes, there's a bunch of paper flyers in the case that makes it seem like the DVD is loose in the case. I found that out when I opened up a Disney's Piglet DVD a couple of months ago.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
No wonder there's sets with loose DVDs or broken hubs, with all you guys out there shaking them to death :D

Jack

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Hey, the same thing happened to me with Jurrasic Park a couple years ago. With all the problems Universal had, I was trying to make sure I got the "correct" one. No problem there, but as soon as I picked it up and brought it down to my side I heard that suspicious little rattle of a broken hub. I exchanged it with no problems.

NOW, last week I'm the first one to buy LOTR:TTT from Wal*Mart. Everything was secure-no broken hubs, but when I pulled the package from the box, I find the top inside edge slightly bent. Looks like someone shoved it in. Mangled
enough to see white cardboard from the center of the flap! Yeah, I feel a little anal about it. But I just can't bring myself to return it because nothing is broken..:frowning:

And I thought I was the only one! Alright, group- gather 'round:
"Hi, my name is William and I'm an Anal-Retentive Collector"! :D

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
The real question is, are all of you open about this? Will you proudly shake a DVD in front of other people, or will you kind of turn your back and hide the fact that you are indeed shaking the case? I forget what I do, but I'm definitely a shaker...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks