Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New tv for <$400

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   RossMo

RossMo

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 04:56 AM

Hey guys. I am moving into an apartment and I am in the market for a new tv that is less than $400.

Should I go for bigger size screen or the flat kind if I am going to be viewing dvds?

Who is a good brand to go with in the 24-27" section? I heard mixed opinions of Sony's Wega model, something about the speakers had cheap/improper cone shielding? I really don't care for brands like aphex,advent,daewoo or samsung. I found a Toshiba 24" flat at bestbuy that I really like, does anyone know about Toshiba? Also what about Sharp?

I have gone to the stores and viewed a tone of tv's and they all look too similar. I want to make a wise purchase, so I was hoping that you guys could help me out. Thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   BarryAM

BarryAM

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 06:28 AM

If your going to be watching alot of DVDs then I'd recommend a 27inch with 16:9 pulldown mode so that you get to watch the DVD fullscreen without loosing anything or having to use letterboxes...The JVC Flatscreen 27in AV27F704 $369, Sony 27in WEGA KV27FS100 $449 are both nice sets with the pulldown...I like the JVC better overall and they have a better quality record I believe. If you dont mind the letterboxes then another set to look at is the Panasonic TAU CT27SL13 Flat 27in $399 which alot of reviews comment on the great sound...I like my screen brighter tho and this set seems to have a dark type picture tube that makes blues look awesome but something about it just didnt set with me right, had to turn up brightness almost to full to get it where I liked it and that means faster burnout on tube so I opted for the JVC. Another awesome set I liked tho was the Sharp 27in Flat Z series, sells for $340 retail but I saw it at Costco for $279 which to is a great value but I dont know anything about Sharp quality, so again I stuck with the JVC model and I am very happy with it...go to Sears, Bestbuy, CC and view them all and then make your decision based on your own viewing preferences...as far as sound goes many sets in this range do not have great sound...so if thats key make sure you demo that as well, or plan on setting up a seperate surround system like I did anyway.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 01:51 PM

If your looking for a 24" set the Toshiba is the only 24" set that has the 16:9 DVD Mode. In 27 inch sets I would look at both the JVC & Toshiba but the 27" Toshiba doesn't have Color Temp. Adjustment where the JVC does. JVC also has 2 stepup 27 inch Flat Tube modes this year with a different look that you might also want to look at but they are hard to find because JVC is just starting to release their new line. Another thing that might tip the scale in favor of the JVC's is that they have a one year labor warranty & all of the other sets that I know of on the market, including Sony are only 90 days for labor.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 01:57 PM

Forgot to add that the new 27 inch Flat Tube Toshiba's have the 16:9 DVD Mode & believe it or not so does the 14 inch & 20 inch Toshiba's. Why you would want it on a 20 inch & 14 inch set I would never know?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 04:48 PM

After a quick check of the specs I would go with one of the 27 inch JVC models. The specs. on the Toshiba & JVC are pretty close except the JVC has a Color Temperature Control & the Toshiba doesn't & on the JVC you can turn the SVM "ON" or "OFF" on the Toshiba it's always "ON" plus the JVC has the one year Labor Warranty.