Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

pet shop boys: pop art DVD video collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 04:49 AM

this totally snuck under my radar; i was browsing an etailer and this was in the "future releases" section. not as big a PSB fan as in the past, but their many many classics still hold up.

apparently the audio is remixed. video list from amazon.com:

1. Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money) (Original Version)
2. West End Girls
3. Love Comes Quickly
4. Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money) (Second Version)
5. Suburbia
6. Paninaro (1986 Version)
7. It's A Sin
8. What Have I Done To Deserve This?
9. Rent
10. Always On My Mind
11. Heart
12. Domino Dancing
13. Left To My Own Devices
14. It's Alright
15. So Hard
16. Being Boring
17. How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Jealousy - Pet Shop Boys Featuring Mark Goodier
20. DJ Culture
21. Was It Worth It?
22. Can You Forgive Her?
23. Go West
24. I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing

25. Liberation
26. Yesterday When I Was Mad
27. Paninaro 95
28. Before
29. Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is)
30. Single - Billingual
31. A Red Letter Day
32. Somewhere (Version 2)
33. I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Anymore
34. New York City Boy ('After Hours' Version)
35. You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk (Version 2)
36. Home And Dry
37. I Get Along/E-Mail (Long Version)
38. PopArt Commentary
39. Domino Dancing (Extended Version)
40. So Hard (Extended Version)
41. Go West (Extended Version)
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#2 of 35 MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 06:56 AM

Hooray!! Time to retire some VHS tapes! Very exciting news!

#3 of 35 Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 11:51 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info!Posted Image
I've got my own Toto

#4 of 35 Wade K

Wade K

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 01:25 PM

This set is almost perfect. If it only had 'Absolutely Fabulous,' then I could get rid of my 'Various' LD.

#5 of 35 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 01:29 PM

This is one hell of a collection...all these 80's groups DVD's....sends chills!

(Now...if Warner and Rhino had actually delivered on their Cher Video Collection as they said they were going to do, I would be simply in heaven...oh well...)

#6 of 35 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,651 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:26 PM

I'm a big PSB fan myself...

Looking forward to this disc, especially because I'll see the video for "It's A Sin" for the first time. It features Geena Davis...This was 1987, need I say more about how hot she was back then?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Different artist: Any news on a Bob Seger DVD collection? I'd like to see the video for "American Storm" (featuring appearances by Randy Quaid, James Woods and Lesley Ann Warren) preserved on DVD for all time.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#7 of 35 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,593 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 06:22 PM

It should be noted that the DVD also contains a three hour interview/commentary by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe (who hated seeing himself age over three hours Posted Image ).

I don't think it's specific commentary video per video but commentary more along the lines of a feature film with chapters.

Shame the new video Miracles isn't included.

-paul

#8 of 35 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 08:16 PM

Yes, very well worth getting. Also note that it's got alternative versions of videos (this is especially important re: Opportunities). Also everything is there upfront - none of this Easter egg BS.

If you want the purely audio as well (and I do as a big PSB fan) then note that there's a limited edition 3-disc set with a very full extra album of Neil and Chris's favourite remixes from over the years.

Quote:
all these 80's groups DVD's....

Ahem, the PSBs are still active (and arguably produced their best work in the 90s) - definitely not one of the 'where are they now?' eighties bands. They've never had a huge American presence but they're still a very popular band in Europe.

#9 of 35 jinksee

jinksee

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 02:20 AM

I'll definatly be purchasing this one...

PSB is definately still very active in the music world. They were just through here on tour a few months back on for thier last album. I've seen them three times now, and I *didn't* go to the last concert because I really don't like the last album that they were touring.

Good stuff!

#10 of 35 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 24 2003 - 02:48 AM

Ahem, the PSBs are still active (and arguably produced their best work in the 90s) - definitely not one of the 'where are they now?' eighties bands. They've never had a huge American presence but they're still a very popular band in Europe.

Definitely. Many bands that were popular in the US in the 80's continue their careers to this day in the rest of the world while the US turned into solely a grunge/hip-hop nation.

The Pet Shop Boys' new single, "Miracles," is #10 this week in the UK. It's their 37th charting single, 35 of which have reached the Top 20.

I *didn't* go to the last concert because I really don't like the last album that they were touring.

Yep, "Release" isn't really a career highlight. Hopefully the next full album will be better.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 35 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 02:50 AM

Quote:

I've really enjoyed their current album, and I loved Nightlife right away as well. Bilingual, however, I really could never get into - until about a month ago, and now I really enjoy that one as well.

It's interesting to me how occasionally I won't make a connection with an album for years, then one day something just sparks and I begin to love it.

Of course, it does help that "Red Letter Day" is particularly -current events-.

I can't wait to pick up this DVD. I too am dissapointed that Absolutely Fabulous isn't here though.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#12 of 35 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 09:09 AM

whoa...definitely gonna get this. it'll accompany my dm and u2 dvd's quite nicely... Posted Image

#13 of 35 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 10:09 AM

PSB has some of my favourite all-time vids... What Have I Done To Deserve This? and Always On My Mind are classics.

#14 of 35 Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 10:20 AM

So what is the release date on this?

BTW - I think Nightlife is one of their best albums ever, really was disappointed in Release.

#15 of 35 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 10:35 AM

is this a 2 disc or 1 disc?

#16 of 35 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 10:53 AM

according to amazon, this comes out dec 2nd.

with that many videos, it better be a 2-disc set...otherwise i'd be worried about some seriously low bit-rates.

#17 of 35 Kenny_H

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 04:56 PM

WHOA!!! Just had a flashback to my old days as a DJ, visiting clubs, previewing videos and always seeing a new PSB video! TELEGENICS video programming for clubs always included alternate/import versions. I have MONTAGE on DVD and VIDEOGRAPHY on LaserDisc. I remember seeing LIBERATION on a compter animation compilation (COMPUTER ANIMATION FESTIVAL Vol.2,also on LaserDisc). Hearing the alternate version of DOMINO DANCING dubbed over the domestic video version in a club in New Orleans. Seeing the character of Simon Adebisi from HBO's OZ, years before, in the video Jealosy. This is a compilation i'm looking forward to!Posted Image Posted Image

#18 of 35 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,593 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 07:06 PM

- AbFab wasnt included as they don't consider it a PSB song. Would have been nice if they included it on the DVD for completeness sake if not the album.

- While Amazon lists a US release date of Dec 2nd it's not expected to come out then. No one is really sure where Amazon got that release date from. The album isn't due out in the US until next year so the DVD will probably come out at the same time. It is, however, being released in Canada in December.

- From the looks of the pics the DVD is a single disc, with a 40 page booklet (of photos! DOH!)
http://www.pendulum-....hp?cn=4909309*

- Proper PSB fans should note the French version of the album contains a reworking of New York City Boy as Paris City Boy!

- Shame you missed the last tour, Stephen. It was brilliant. Minimalist set, more rock-ish versions of songs.

-paul

#19 of 35 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:15 AM

Quote:
AbFab wasnt included as they don't consider it a PSB song. Would have been nice if they included it on the DVD for completeness sake if not the album.

I agree with all of the statement. Just for the record, Absolutely Fabulous was done for an annual charity telethon on BBC TV called 'Comic Relief'. PSB aren't 'ashamed' of it, but they regard it in the same way as presumably Blur think of the stuff by Gorillaz - it's an offshoot, not mainstream product.

Also, according to the PSB fanzine (which to my shame, I subscribe to) which is normally pretty reliable, Neil and Chris have already got a lot of the material for their next album, which will be more dance-orientated than 'Release'. Incidentally, they also recently recorded a couple of tracks with Elton John (including the 'I Believe' medley they did with EJ a few years ago on TV) but there's no plans for the material to be released in the near future.

#20 of 35 Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 02:11 AM

Any info on the audio specs?
I've got my own Toto

Forum Nav Content I Follow